2006 Projects?

Old December 23rd 05, 10:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default 2006 Projects?

Thank you Dr. Brat. That's how you really hurt any business. Stop shopping
there and tell all your friend/family how bad them are. It all goes back to
Walk the talk, not just talk the talk.

"Dr. Brat" wrote in message
Karen C - California wrote:

My point is that if you're going to boycott WalMart because they pay
$6.50/hour and no medical insurance, you should boycott EVERY business
that pays $6.50/hour and no medical insurance. Not say that we need to
boycott WalMart for doing it but it's OK to shop somewhere else that
treats its employees the exact same way because that business isn't
named WalMart.

Ah, ok. You're not arguing with me then, because I've never said it's
ok to boycott Wal*Mart for doing it but to shop somewhere else that
treats its employees the exact same way. What I said was that in
general, I try to shop at locally owned businesses and that I disapprove
of Wal*Mart's business practices. That was *and* not *because*.

I also said that I had chosen Target in the past, but that now I think
I've got a problem and I said that it is hard in this day and age to
shop ethically. There's no way to do it well, but I do try to avoid the
most egregious offenders. That's my choice.

Elizabeth (be hard to shop somewhere that pays $6.50/hr in this state)
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old December 23rd 05, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

I joyously working a my Thread Thread projects and I added Silver Lining
Roses to my 2006 project list. I know I crazy but I stitch everyday and
everytime I can.

"just a lil imp stitching"
"Maureen In Vancouver, B.C." wrote in
message news:7YDpf.138863$ki.44868@pd7tw2no...
Who has something slated for stitching in 2006? I'd like to do "Jewels Of
The Orient" by Dimensions, but I see I can either pay $34. on-line, $50.

at
my local Michaels, or $72. at my L.N.S.! All three are for the exact same
kit.

Maureen

--
Maureen Miller

Http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...5909&members=1
http://www.shorei-kancanada.ca/

Old December 23rd 05, 10:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:17:46 -0700, "Genghis Khan's Wife"
wrote:

That because that gets the boycotters the best TV spots.
If they attack a mom and pop that only pays their folk 6.50 , it does not
look at noble and does not get the TV spots.

You would be wrong, I am not out for a tv spot, nothing could be
further from the truth.

I guess they never looked at a profit and loss statement for a business. I
have a WalMart and a LNS they seem to be doing just fine.. Now the over
priced, snobbing LNS did close. Funny both companies are starting folks at
6.50.

Well I have, many times. As I said, sometimes people wish to work for
the LNS or small company for a variety of reasons, accepting the fact
they can never pay a very good wage. However, the more companies
like Wartmart screw their employees down, undercut prices to drive
away the competition, the worse general employment will become.

So if they close all their stores in three States and one Province in
Canada for starters, perhaps they will be looking harder at their
bottom line. There have been a few instances up here where Provinces
have not let them open in some areas, they just are not wanted. If
they are closing stores here and there, things get leaner. Then it
might occur to them that somethings got to give.

Whatever, I really don't give a toss about what happens with regard to
Wartmart and its practices south of our border, just about what they
try to do up here. I shall continue to not patronize them, that is
my right to do so and has nothing whatsoever, as you suggest, to do
with a lack of ability to read financial statements.

"Dr. Brat" wrote in message
Karen C - California wrote:

Yet, the campaign targets only
WalMart, and not the other major retailers who do the exact same thing
to their employees.

That's not completely true.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old December 23rd 05, 10:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Walmart 2006 Projects?

I love that quote -- and it's one that kids today don't understand at all.

Or at least, their definition of "need" is different from what our used to
be.

For myself, my needs are small -- but needlework is one of those "needs," no
question about that. Now the level of my stash probably reaches luxury, but
the stitching itself is definitely NEED.
--
Jere

"Margaret Wilson" wrote in message
This has indeed been a very long thread. As I read through them
I was often reminded of the words impressed upon my brothers
and I as we were growing up.

Make it do,
Wear it out,
Use it up
Or do without

mag

"Susan Hartman" wrote in message

I find it interesting in this long thread that there's an assumption

that
we *need* to shop as much as we do. Of course, there's a regular need

for
food shopping - but clothes shopping, etc., is so often done for
entertainment and not out of real need. If more of us were "need-based"
shoppers, there might not be such a problem. Having such abundant goods,
so cheap, wouldn't be such an issue!

off my soapbox now

And Happy Holidays to everyone! I finished my last ornament last night,

so
I'm finally READY!!

Sue (nwo to decorate the tree...)

---
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
http://www.dirtylinen.com

Old December 23rd 05, 11:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

here in UK I work at a part time job for minimum wage - £ 5.15 (8.92548 USD)

I do the job because it suits me - I drop dd off at school 8.45 ,cross the
road to the shop to buy lunch and a newspaper and into work - if I need to I
can take time off without hassle ( no sick pay though so unpaid leave if
necessary ) finish at 3 ( usually hand in keys at 14.50) to pick up dd at
15.10 .
I've applied for full time far higher profile and pay work but will need to
pay childminding fees plus my own busfare etc so what works ?
Jan

Old December 23rd 05, 11:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 23:00:01 -0000, "Jan Lennie"
wrote:

here in UK I work at a part time job for minimum wage - £ 5.15 (8.92548 USD)

I do the job because it suits me - I drop dd off at school 8.45 ,cross the
road to the shop to buy lunch and a newspaper and into work - if I need to I
can take time off without hassle ( no sick pay though so unpaid leave if
necessary ) finish at 3 ( usually hand in keys at 14.50) to pick up dd at
15.10 .
I've applied for full time far higher profile and pay work but will need to
pay childminding fees plus my own busfare etc so what works ?

I think I did say that, sometimes people have reasons for accepting
the lower pay. However, here, taking unpaid leave does not just mean
accepting no pay for the days you were absent, all benefits that you
contribute to stop during that period.

There are people in pretty desperate straits working some of these
jobs here and they do not pay anything near a 'living' wage, worst is
that they are at the whim of the manager doling out the hours.

With big corporations such as Wartmart making almost obscene profit
lines, I feel compelled to mount my own small protest. It's the same
scenario, just slightly different to insurance companies here
insisting they had to jack car insurance policies up because of the
number of claims. Some policies went up 25% - then at the end of the
year they post a $4.5 billion profit ! Yes, they have to have a
profit to attract stock money, but $4.5 billion off working joe ???
Old December 23rd 05, 11:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

A side note on a Wal-Mart commercial - there's a woman who says that
with her kids, her job, her busy schedule, Wal-Mart is great because
it has everything and saves her time. Then she goes on to say that
she goes down every aisle...if her time is so short, she'd do better
to have a list and just shop the list!

Alison
in Brooklyn
where we do finally have a Target (actually 2) and a Costco and a BJs
(out on the Queens County line) but still no Wal-mart or Sam's Club.
Old December 24th 05, 12:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Nice to see someone writing in response to the Subject!!

You are very busy, Rita! I used to enjoy sewing clothing, and knitting
fancy things many years ago! For 2006, I will revel in my new cataract
surgery, finish at least six projects ( mostly almost done) , and learn
to frame the fun items.,, as opposed to special gifts and I also want to
try a new designer. I want to do some of the RK Portfolio work. They are
just such fun, and lovely!
Gillian

Florida

wrote:
ummm....projects?

finished my lovely white/red/blackmesh scarf AND my dk blue beret.

am now working on a crocheted vest of homespun yarn-cream w/dk blue
ribbing.

first time doing a crocheted, adult size pc of clothing.

next gonna do several ladies robes-reversable fleece!

red/dk green first-then a black one w/beige on other side.

i like the "FEEL" of fleece.

Old December 24th 05, 12:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

I have dozens of Silver Lining designs by Marc. The problem is that
there are so many things I WANT to stitch, and not enough time to do
them!! I think I will pick one of his, just to say I have stitched one.
At 69, I am a tad limited, timewise!!

Sigh!!!

Gillian

Old December 24th 05, 01:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 17:25:37 -0500, "Dr. Brat"
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:

Shopping there or not isn't going to change anything.

Not just you, but if a lot of people stopped...

We are the waves.

Elizabeth

I know, but the problem is steep and people who cannot shop elsewhere
because of their low wages, or too many kids, or whatever debt because
they overspend on Christmas, or any myriad reasons will not stop and
they comprise the bulk shoppers at the ...Marts. Run on sentence!

I can shop anywhere I want. So can you. Many cannot. I truly do
side with you on your philosophy behind your intention. Full and
utter agreement.

Poor me, there is no K-Mart in Texas at all and I NEED MARTHA STUFF!

LOL