Cutting glass mirror

Old June 12th 04, 05:53 PM
Sundog

dunno...thought the weight off too, but then I calculated 3lb sq ft (1/4"
plate) x 35 sq ft .... 105 lb.

OK, there is inherent danger in a piece of plate this size ... if things
goes badly one could lose a foot, leg, arm, hand, or more..... if things go
only poorly, you lose the mirror worth several hundred clams. If everything
works out right he still has to seam the edges .... I've used a rock before,
but it's a lousy sub. And a regular glass shop would charge what....$10?
maybe... to do both for him. Choices must be made.

Cheers, Jacques Bordeleau

"Javahut" wrote in message

What does it weigh? 100-110 lbs or more? I'll politely pass on

handling
it by myself...thanks anyway. Besides the possibility of hurting my

already
sore shoulder even worse....breaking the fool thing would be costly.

Not
to mention 7 years of bad luck.

OK, with your shoulder, I can see it not being "ergonomically" but the
weight is way off.
Think of 4 x 8 ft 3/4" plywood, that doesn't weigh 100 lbs, I haven't
looked it up, and probably should, but 60 X 84, 1/4" plate is a common
size, and easily handled in a glazing shop.
Weight isn't the factor, its moving with it, but a person should only do
what they feel confidant in doing.

Old June 12th 04, 08:13 PM
Moonraker

"Sundog" wrote in message
nk.net...
dunno...thought the weight off too, but then I calculated 3lb sq ft (1/4"
plate) x 35 sq ft .... 105 lb.

I quickly calculated that weight by "knowing" that SG weighs about 1.5lb/ft,
doubling it for 1/4" thickness, and figuring the square footage. I imagine
the reflective stuff and backing weighs a bit, too.

OK, there is inherent danger in a piece of plate this size ... if things
goes badly one could lose a foot, leg, arm, hand, or more..... if things

go
only poorly, you lose the mirror worth several hundred clams. If

everything
works out right he still has to seam the edges .... I've used a rock

before,
but it's a lousy sub. And a regular glass shop would charge what....$10?
maybe... to do both for him. Choices must be made.

Problem is...if he has the mirror at home, how's he getting it to regular
glass shop? (If he already has a glass rack in his vehicle, he should
already know how to cut the glass.) I don't imagine any glass shop would
send a truck to a residence just to cut a mirror down for any measly ten
bucks. Specially if they absorb the liability for breakage.

Cheers, Jacques Bordeleau

Old June 13th 04, 05:13 AM
jk

"Moonraker" wrote in message
. ..

"jk" wrote in message
et...

"Chris Mares" wrote in message
Hello all, I have a large 7 foot by 5 foot 1/4" thick glass mirror I
would like to cut. Can anyone tell me if thats possible to do with a
hand wheel glass cutter?
If so what are the best ways to go about it?
Thanks.

My take is that this is too big a project for a novice to do

successfully.

I think I agree...a piece of 7' x 5' x1/4" mirror is a two man project to
get it on a cutting table (safely). I didn't notice the mirror's size

when
I first read the post.

That's because you have the tape. I, alas..... am still waiting at the
door everyday with a tear in my eye.

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios

Old June 13th 04, 05:17 AM
jk

"Byron Wells" wrote in message
m...
Not at all.. Not any harder to cut than art glass, just larger sizes. To

be
sure the break goes where you score put cutting oil or kerosene on the

line
before you score it.

Byron...
Wells Glassworks
www.wellsglassworks.com

My take is that this is too big a project for a novice to do

successfully.

--
JK Sinrod

I would NEVER advise a novice to cut his own 7' x 5' piece of ANY glass.
I have experienced SG workers that can't work with 1/4" in any size. There's
a whole different set of variables working with 1/4", plus the size and
weight issues. This guy is welcome to try it, but I would bet on complete
failure, and possible injury.

Old June 13th 04, 05:19 AM
Moonraker

"jk" wrote in message
et...

"Moonraker" wrote in message
. ..

"jk" wrote in message
et...

"Chris Mares" wrote in message
Hello all, I have a large 7 foot by 5 foot 1/4" thick glass mirror I
would like to cut. Can anyone tell me if thats possible to do with a
hand wheel glass cutter?
If so what are the best ways to go about it?
Thanks.

My take is that this is too big a project for a novice to do

successfully.

I think I agree...a piece of 7' x 5' x1/4" mirror is a two man project

get it on a cutting table (safely). I didn't notice the mirror's size

when
I first read the post.

That's because you have the tape. I, alas..... am still waiting at the
door everyday with a tear in my eye.

Ummmm...and all along I thought you were bleary-eyed from drinking all that
scotch. Tis a shame.

Old June 13th 04, 04:25 PM
Chris Mares

It's pretty heavy. I had my nephew try to help me move it into the
basement but it wouldnt make the steps due to its size. it must weigh
about 200 lbs.
Thats why i need to cut it so it will go down the stairs.

Moonraker wrote:

"Javahut" wrote in message

"Moonraker" wrote in message
t...

"jk" wrote in message
v.net...

"Chris Mares" wrote in message

Hello all, I have a large 7 foot by 5 foot 1/4" thick glass mirror I
would like to cut. Can anyone tell me if thats possible to do with a
hand wheel glass cutter?
If so what are the best ways to go about it?
Thanks.

My take is that this is too big a project for a novice to do

successfully.

I think I agree...a piece of 7' x 5' x1/4" mirror is a two man project

get it on a cutting table (safely). I didn't notice the mirror's size

when

I first read the post.

Don't twist it or torque it and your fine, use the edge of the table as

your

2nd person, handle it like a board you don't want to warp.

Old June 13th 04, 04:26 PM
Chris Mares

I do have a box truck I can load it into. anyone know what they might
charge to do two cuts on it down each side?

Moonraker wrote:

nk.net...

Old June 13th 04, 04:27 PM
Chris Mares

Before you score it? I read online that you put it on after you score.
But hey i'm not sure that why i'm asking.
I appreciate all the help too.

Old June 13th 04, 04:38 PM
Chris Mares

You know I thought about using oneof those makita glass cutters and just
run it down a straight edge clamped to the glass.
http://www.makita.com/Cordless_Item_View.asp?id=103

Old June 13th 04, 05:02 PM
Moonraker

You know I thought about using oneof those makita glass cutters and just
run it down a straight edge clamped to the glass.
http://www.makita.com/Cordless_Item_View.asp?id=103

Now, THAT'S overkill. What's the saw cost? $350 or so? A $4
Fletcher-Terry cutter will do the job better. The saw will undoubtedly chip
the edges of the mirror, still requiring you to use a wet belt sander to
seam the edges.