Problem with my logo? Please help!

Old November 17th 04, 04:17 PM
ang

Default Problem with my logo? Please help!

Some of you might remember me from last year. I hung around for a while then
my family and I (husband, two children), moved halfway across the country
and I got very busy with adjusting to the new life, etc., etc., and have
just now made it back to you all. And I'm glad to be back!

Anyway! I had a table at a local craft show this weekend and got a comment
from a customer (well, a non-customer, actually) that has been bothering me,
so I thought I'd bring the issue to you guys and ask for help. My company
(such as it is) is called Angelfish Baubles. My name is Angela, so I wanted
to do something with "angel" and I love fish as a decorative item (not as
food!! yuck!) so I decided on Angelfish. My logo is an outline of a fish
with a halo. You can see it he http://angelfish-baubles.com. So my
question is this: Your first reaction when you see the logo -- is it
Christian? Believe it or not, it never occurred to me that the fish outline
is similar to the -- what did Elaine call it on "Seinfeld"? -- the "Jesus
fish"? And then to put a halo on top of it, well, here's the part where I'm
embarrassed. It never occurred to me it would be construed as Christian. I
guess that just shows you how non-Christian I am! The (non-)customer this
weekend was kind of nasty to me. I'm not sure if it was because I'm not a
Christian (she asked me point-blank and I answered her without apology or
defiance or anything, just answered the question straight -- she glared at
me and walked away) or because I'm not a Christian yet I appear to be using
a Christian symbol. I really don't want to offend anybody, so I'm thinking
it might be time for a re-brand. Thoughts, anyone??

P.S. I have nothing against Christians! I'm just not one myself personally!

ang.
____________________________
angelfish baubles
http://angelfish-baubles.com

Old November 17th 04, 04:33 PM
Alison Bowes

Ang,

Honestly, yes. The first thing that pops in my mind when I see the logo is
the "Jesus fish". However, a split second later I realized it's not the
same. It's pretty darned close, though, and I would probably assume that
you were publicly declaring your Christianity if I saw it when shopping. Of
course, I should have learned by now never to assume, but old habits die
hard.

Alison

Old November 17th 04, 04:46 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Angela,

Yes, my initial impression is yes, it's a "Jesus Fish". If I were going to
the craft show, and saw your logo, I would avoid your booth, personally. I
despise people that try to sell stuff, using their religion as marketing.

I would change it to an outline of an actual angelfish, maybe wearing a
necklace or earrings or something. Lose the halo - the silhouette of an
angelfish is very distinctive.

Here are some pictures of angelfish, for reference:
http://images.google.com/images?q=an...=Google+Search

Barbara
(and I'm not Christian, either)

Old November 17th 04, 04:53 PM
Cheri2Star

I would change it to an outline of an actual angelfish, maybe wearing a
necklace or earrings or something. Lose the halo - the silhouette of an
angelfish is very distinctive.

Exactly what I was thinking. Angel fish are very distinctive with large fins.
Your little fish is very Christian looking. I would definitly change the logo.

Cheri
(Bubbee to Emily and Nathan)

It's my life
And it's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive - Bon Jovi
Old November 17th 04, 04:53 PM
Tinkster

Ditto to everything Barbara said. Especially the first paragraph :-)

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:46:20 -0500, "Barbara Forbes-Lyons"
wrote:

Angela,

Yes, my initial impression is yes, it's a "Jesus Fish". If I were going to
the craft show, and saw your logo, I would avoid your booth, personally. I
despise people that try to sell stuff, using their religion as marketing.

I would change it to an outline of an actual angelfish, maybe wearing a
necklace or earrings or something. Lose the halo - the silhouette of an
angelfish is very distinctive.

Here are some pictures of angelfish, for reference:
http://images.google.com/images?q=an...=Google+Search

Barbara
(and I'm not Christian, either)

Tink
Check here for available work:
http://blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm
Old November 17th 04, 04:57 PM
Kandice Seeber

Hmmmm - while I have nothing personal against Christians, I would say that
this logo does appear religious at first glance. That doesn't bother me
much - lots of businesses exist that market religious (Christian and
non-Christian) items. I'm more drawn to pagan symbols, because that's what
I am, but the logo wouldn't deter me from checking out your stuff.

That being said, since you didn't purposely make your logo to be religious,
I would suggest the same things others have suggested - make a logo from an
actual angel fish. Good luck!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old November 17th 04, 05:04 PM
Stephanie

I thought "christian" too, when I first saw your logo. Then I thought about it
angel, fish, OK... Maybe a change would be good.

..Stephanie.

Gotta Question?
Google: rec.craft.bead
http://tinyurl.com/5wm36

Old November 17th 04, 05:14 PM
Carla

Hi Angela,

Yep, I remember seeing your logo before and thinking of it as a
Christian symbol. A few years ago, I saw an ad for something on line,
and the tagline was like "Made with love, in a home with traditional
family values." All I could think was, "What does that have to do with
the product?"

Why not a logo with an actual angelfish, maybe wearing baubles?

Cheers,
Carla

Old November 17th 04, 05:37 PM
Beadbimbo

Hi Ang,

I remember seeing your website, a while back, and thinking it was the
Christian fish symbol, but then seeing your name and thinking maybe it
wasn't. It is definitely similar. I do like the halo though, but think you
might go with something more similar to an angelfish. My daughter used to
have some Go Fish playing cards that had all these different fish on them,
cartoon versions. The angelfish was a cartoon angel fish with a halo. Very
cute. The Pancake Batfish was one of my favorites. Just loved that name.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old November 17th 04, 05:53 PM
Su/Cutworks

Hi, Ang,

Yes, I think the logo is very much like the standard one you see everywhere
as the symbol that many Christians use.

I'd suggest you change it to a taller, perhaps more triangular shape like an
angelfish is anyway to avoid the confusion.

If the non-customer was nasty to you this weekend then she wasn't much of a
real Christian.

It's like using a five-pointed star or pentangle, people will confuse that
with satanism in many places, or a six-pointed star will evoke thoughts of
Judaism, as a cross does Christianity. Each shape is a simple geometric but
they carry a LOT of extra symbolism for many people, so perhaps a new shape
might work better?

-Su