Roll Call!

Old November 15th 05, 05:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Roll Call!

Hello all. I'm Marilyn from Alberta, Canada. Pinned on the map just
north of Calgary. I've been a member of the group for maybe two years
but have been mostly lurking for the last year or so. Life has been
busy and until recently we were on dial-up,UGH!

Now we have joined the ranks on high speed and I can actually visit
links to everyones pics... WOW! Thanks to all who post their pics, I've
enjoyed all I've seen so far.
With new technology came a new isp who doesn't do news servers, so
although I've been reading messages, and checking links the last couple
of weeks, I could not post on any of the free news readers that I had
found. This morning with Wendy's Roll Call, I figured it was time to
find a way, so to Google I went and here I am.

For those that don't know or remember me, I live in a small rural
community with DH of 3 years, our two Golden Retrievers, Treasure (11),
Marty (6) and a calico cat, Kitty Kat (3.5). They love to inspect any
quilting project and contribute as much hair as they can. (I tell
people that it makes my projects worth more.)

My DH and I have a combined family of 16 children, 19 + 2 (.5's) (due
Mar & Apr) grandchildren. And yes that keeps me busy, just trying to
remember birthdays and how old they are. Two children getting married
next summer and at least 4 others engaged but haven't set dates yet.
Thankfully, these two wedding are sons. They don't seem to want as much
parental involvment as daughters do. I'd like to quilt for them all but
don't have high hopes on getting it done.

My husband works full time outside the home, and together we run a
small business from home as custom knifemakers and retail suppliers of
knifemaking supplies. We do Web Hosting and I also do sewing/quilting
related crafts, heat transfer T-shirts, etc. for craft fairs, and run a
courier service for Canada Post. We are also supposed to be renovating
two old houses that we own. That project keeps getting put to the
bottom of the list as there never seems to be enough hours to "do it
all"

Although I've been mostly lurking this past year, this group has been
what has kept me sane while my world goes crazy. The first place I head
in the mornings is here to see what changes the world has made in the
lives of my cyber family. DH just smiles as I bubble with laughter,
giggle to myself, or have tears of sorrow rolling down my cheeks.
Thanks to you all for the inspiration, advice, and reality checks that
you provide just by being here.

And , YES! I LOVE CHOCOLATE! All kinds!

Marilyn
in cloudy, chilly Alberta, Canada

Old November 15th 05, 05:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hi, I'm Lisa, I live in central Iowa and I posted the crazy quilt block. I'm
41, been married for 17 years, and we have three sons. Andy, 21 is serving
in the Army in Iraq. He searches for road-side bombs and land mines, yes my
hair is more white than it was a few months ago. Garrett is16 and fancies
himself a Future Farmer of America. Newest project-raising show pigs on a
friend's farm. (we live in town). Dylan, 13, is the quiet chef.

Been quilting for 17 years, teaching quilt making in a near-by town for the
last 6, and had the honor of teaching at the Crazy Quilt Conference in Omaha
this summer.. I like paper piecing, free motion quilting, and knitting but I
LOVE crazy quilting, jewelry making and embellishment. I have an online
album of some of my things, link is in my siggy below.

Current projects include the 'Nearly Insane' quilt. I have 92 of the 98-6
inch blocks completed. I would like to finish them by the first Saturday of
December (the next time my class meets) or die trying! Also am working on
several UFO crazy quilt blocks, and I will probably turn them into pillows
or small wall hangings.

I want to start a new crazy quilt that is completely done in my mind's eye
already :-), but first, that Nearly Insane quilt.

Fun to see everyone posting, thank you Wendy for a great topic!

--
Lisa Caryl
http://www.picturetrails.com/quiltygurl

remove the obvious to reply

"frood" wrote in message
Ok, in addition to this new fun frappr toy, we have had quite a few

newbies
join us lately. And a few oldies seem to be crawling out of the woodwork.
VBG So... let's all introduce ourselves. If you pinned yourself on

Frappr,
let us know so we can see where you are.

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

Old November 15th 05, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Sara Lorimer wrote:
frood wrote:

Ok, in addition to this new fun frappr toy, we have had quite a few newbies
join us lately. And a few oldies seem to be crawling out of the woodwork.
VBG So... let's all introduce ourselves. If you pinned yourself on Frappr,
let us know so we can see where you are.

My name's Roberta - I've been here on and off for a few years...mostly
on the past 2. I made my first quilt, all by hand, 7 years ago - didn't
make another one until 3 years ago lol...

umm I have been married for 8 years as of Nov 1st to a wonderful Navy
man. We move around every 2 years or so...gives me a chance to see more
of the world. Currently we are stationed in South East VA - I really
love it here...probably my favorite place we have been. I have 2
daughters, Delaney 5 and Tara 3. My mother lives with us (which is both
a positive and a negative)

I LOVE chocolate - Godiva is my favorite...just don't put fruit in my
chocolate please

Other than quilting I love to cook, I have cross stitched but just can
never figure out what to do with it when it's done. I can crochet (I
was taught by my great-grandmother) I don't do it often...I suppose I
should

I really want to learn to knit, bead, and I am trying to teach myself to
sew garments.

I think maybe I have some ADD or something cause I just can't seem to
settle on any ONE hobby lol.

Guess that's enough about me

Roberta (in VA)
Old November 15th 05, 06:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Howdy!

I'm Babs and I live in Dallas, TX, not too far from nana2b and Sherry
Starr and Diana in Dallas.

I'm 38, married 6 years now to DH David. I work a couple of afternoons
a week in the office of a child care center, and am also a full time
college student. He is a computer programmer at Southwest Airlines. We
have no kids, and no pets yet.

I've been quilting 3 years now, and found rctq early in my quilting
life. I'm currently making coasters and nap blankets to sell at a craft
bazaar at church, and am FINALLY finishing up the Maple Leaf Quilt for
my Mom. I hope to finally be able to give it to her for Christmas this
year.

I'm a 1 year survivor of Uterine Cancer, and just the other day found a
tub with fabrics from the wonderful squishie shower that the ladies here
gave me last summer. I fondled every piece and remembered who it came
from. I decided that I'm going to take all of the cards and notes and
make a collage for my wall.

I love being here, and have started becoming more active.

Hugs-

Babs

Old November 15th 05, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Oops- forgot- I'm about an hour from Ragmop too!

We ought to have a DFW meet up-----

Babs

Old November 15th 05, 06:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I just figured out how to pin myself to the map (Montreal, Quebec) ...so
will take a momment to say hi as well. I don't post all that often but
do read this group regularly, usually with my post-lunch cup of tea at
work. I've got a DH, two DDs, and 4 QIs (3 cats and a rabbit).
Everyone has a quilt for their bed so I'm mostly doing smaller things
now...so far we haven't run out of wall space!

Take care all
Allison (trying not to look out the window at our first snow fall of the
year)

Old November 15th 05, 06:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 12:10:15 GMT, "frood"
wrote:

Ok, in addition to this new fun frappr toy, we have had quite a few newbies
join us lately. And a few oldies seem to be crawling out of the woodwork.
VBG So... let's all introduce ourselves. If you pinned yourself on Frappr,
let us know so we can see where you are.

I went and pinned me!

NightMist
--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old November 15th 05, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I've been mostly lurking, but post have been reading RCTQ for quite a
while.

I live in Santa Cruz, CA, have been married for 28 years, and have one
kid, 25 yr old son, and one cat, Tigger.

I have been quilting for about 30 years. At this point, I am a hand
quilter who is learning to machine quilt. I've machine quilted the
last three baby quilts I've made and they turned out well. I am just
about finished with the top for for a wedding quilt for a friend and
will machine quilt it. I've also just finished hand quilting a
restored basket quilt form the 40's. I will bind it this weekend and I
am done!! My next hand quilting project will be another restored quilt
- 30's hole in the barn door. Hopefully, it will not take me 5 years
to quilt.

lisae

Old November 15th 05, 06:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I've been quilting off and on for over 30 years, but have really gotten
into it the last 7 or 8 years. I've decided that I prefer quilting to
any other crafts that I have done -- and I've tried a lot -- because I
can take a pattern and make it my own with my fabric choices, etc. I
also find it easy to draft my own patterns or pattern modifications,
much more so than with counted cross-stitch or knitting, etc.

My favorite part of the process is probably machine piecing, though I
also enjoy hand applique and hand quilting. Most of my projects are
machine quilted, simply because it is faster than hand quilting. You can
always find my website by clicking on the link at the bottom of any of
my messages.

My sewing machine is an Elna Quilter's Dream, and I like it a lot. I've
always had Elnas; they have been great machines for me. I also have an
Elna serger and I just bought a Singer 401A at a garage sale. It hadn't
been used for a long time, so I took it in for a tuneup. I've heard a
lot about these machines, and I'm looking forward to sewing on it. I
learned to sew on an old Singer treadle machine and had my
mother-in-law's 1948 model 66 machine for a while, so I know those older
Singers can be real workhorses.

I'm a retired software engineer married to a retired school counselor
for 38 years. We have 2 children, both married; my baby DD is 32 today;
how time flies! DS and his wife have given us 2 wonderful grandchildren.

We have no 4-legged QI's. Chocolate preference is dark.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old November 15th 05, 07:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hi,

I'm Yvonne Stuchell, and I've lived in America's heartland, Decatur, IL
for the past 4 years. I had to look up Frappr (never heard of it
before this) and pinned myself on there - I actually live on the
western edge of town with a house in the woods, my DH of 23 years, and
lots birds and deer. We've lived a number of different places over the
years, including northern and southern California (my home state),
Florida, Great Brittain, Germany, and Ohio. I have a DD in Delaware
and a DS in San Diego. I work full-time outside the house as a food
scientist (one of those people who really knows what all those things
on the label mean).

I've been a member of RCTQ for many years now, starting in the early
90's when there were just a few posts a day and you knew everyone.
Nowadays, I mostly lurk in the backround. I've been quilting for most
of my life, but this has been my main hobby for the past 15-20 years -
prior to that I did counted cross-stitching, knitting, crocheting, and
sewing. I've always got something (usually quite a few somethings) in
the works.

Yvonne
=====

Yvonne Stuchell

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Village/8540
Wife/food_scientist/quilter/mom/nurse/cheerleader/housekeeper/gardener/home
remodeler/every role that life demands from us