adding iradized to glass.

Old October 26th 05, 10:11 PM
Boner the Cat

Default adding iradized to glass.

Hi,

is there a product or home recipe for making a portion of your fused glass
look like it is iridized glass?

thks

Old October 26th 05, 10:20 PM
db

Lusters work like that. Try the glass lusters at Rynne China
http://www.rynnechina.com/p57.html

Old October 26th 05, 10:31 PM
Charles Spitzer

"Boner the Cat" wrote in message
Hi,

is there a product or home recipe for making a portion of your fused glass
look like it is iridized glass?

thks

yes there is. you heat up the glass, and add the tin chloride. however, it's
extremely dangerous to use and do at home without the proper expertise and
equipment. since you're asking, you probably have neither.

Old October 28th 05, 02:45 AM
Randy H.

The iridizing is done in a glory hole with a reducing atmosphere. Charles is
right about the Tin Chloride, but it's how it's applied makes a big
difference in the end result. He is also right about it being bad for you if
your inhaling heavy metals.

I'm not a into fusing/slumping, and I'm really not sure if there is a
product for that purpose. I just know how it was done originally through my
dads efforts in iridizing glass.

Here's a link to some samples of his work. I'm sad to say he just passed
away a just couple of weeks ago. So I would like to give him some
recognition which he never sought for his life's work.

http://www.ddoty.com/pagehansen.html

Good luck,

Randy Hansen
SC Glass Tech.
Scam Diego, Comi-fornia

Old October 28th 05, 03:49 PM
Javahut

"Randy H." wrote in message
[...]

Terribly sorry to learn of your loss, in my earlier research on
paperweights, I happened on a book that had some photos of their early work
together, you father and Uncle, very nice work,. I had no idea their realm
of expertise extended to the iridizing of the Carnival glass. Brilliant
work, and more recognition of his work is in order.
Deepest sympathy extended.

Old October 28th 05, 11:46 PM
Randy H.

Thanks Java,

The was the last of his siblings to survive.

Old October 30th 05, 01:27 AM
Robert Banford

I too am sorry to hear about your father. I remember Ron bringing some of
the pieces to sell here in NJ. He explained the process to me. But not the
chemistry.
Your family were one of the pioneers in glass.

Bob Banford

"Javahut" wrote in message

"Randy H." wrote in message
[...]

Soldering jump rings with glass Robin Jewelry 9 September 9th 04 04:41 AM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
FA: $5.00The Technique of Stained Glass Elric of Imrryr Marketplace 0 July 30th 03 03:53 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM