Adding SG to double-glazed windows

Old October 12th 05, 12:21 AM
Plastic Sturgeon

Default Adding SG to double-glazed windows

I have heard it is possible to add Stained glass to double-glazed windows.
Is this true?
Do you pop open the sealed double-glazed unit? or do you have to have the
manufacturer do it for you? Is there special equipment? How could I find
someone to do this in my home town?

Old October 12th 05, 12:30 AM

Better to install it next to the insulated glass with a 1/2" spacer
with weep holes. One at the top and one at the bottom...1/2" x 1/2"
should be big enough. If you must install it between two pieces, you'll
have to have a new insulated unit built. Depending on where you
live...most will build the units with butyl putty. The hot butyl
machine is not something you would buy to do one or two windows. any
flat glass shop that builds insulated units can help you. Keep in mind
that most if not all shops will not guarentee the insulated unit with
stained glass inside.

Andy

Old October 12th 05, 12:38 AM
Moonraker

"Plastic Sturgeon" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have heard it is possible to add Stained glass to double-glazed windows.
Is this true?

Is it true that you heard this? Apparently so, you are repeating it.

Do you pop open the sealed double-glazed unit?

not if you are planning on putting it back together and having it
leak-proof. And it's a bit more difficult than just "popping" it open.

or do you have to have the
manufacturer do it for you?

it's best. but when you add the additional thickness of the SG, it probably
won't fit back into the door or window sash, anyway. you will be making the
IG unit at least 3/8" thicker than what you took out.

Is there special equipment?

yes. expensive, too.

How could I find
someone to do this in my home town?

Do you have a Yellow Pages? Google, maybe?

Old October 12th 05, 03:09 AM
Javahut

"Plastic Sturgeon" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have heard it is possible to add Stained glass to double-glazed windows.
Is this true?
Do you pop open the sealed double-glazed unit? or do you have to have the
manufacturer do it for you? Is there special equipment? How could I find
someone to do this in my home town?

OK, let's cover this again, it is not rocket science, nor is it difficult.

Let's assume you are from a city the size of ....Los Angeles, not too much
of a stretch, there should be several in and around the city. If you are
sure there are none there, post again, and I will tell you how it is done.
It makes on sense to re-invent the wheel.

Thickness depends on what you have now, but in a very temperate climate, why
would you want to do it? Just curious.
There will be no warranty, and when it starts getting al;it'll foggy, just
cut it open and re-do it, not difficult. Large construction knife, (I call
'em "Stanley" knife) will cut open the seal, clean the glass, get a new
airspace, put it back together. but the guys that do it for a living, are
much quicker and they have all the stuff right there.

Have more questions after searching locally, post 'em, I'll answer them.
Been doing insulated entry doors for 27 years.