Storing extension cords

Old January 3rd 05, 09:33 PM
JC Home

Default Storing extension cords

Can anybody tell me a good knot/hitch for an extension cord?

Thanks
--
Jeff Ciaccio
Dallas, GA

Old January 3rd 05, 10:10 PM
roo

JC Home wrote:
Can anybody tell me a good knot/hitch for an extension cord?

Thanks
--
Jeff Ciaccio
Dallas, GA

http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/ropestorage.html
~
-roo
~~
See the Notable Knot Index for my real e-mail address.

Old January 4th 05, 01:31 PM
Peter W. Meek

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 16:33:24 -0500, "JC Home"
wrote:

Can anybody tell me a good knot/hitch for an extension cord?

I see a lot of extension cords stored by
chain-knotting them, but I prefer repeated
doubling of the cord. I take both ends and
place them side by side for the first double,
then double the cord again leaving the ends
a little longer (to avoid having an end
slip through a loop -- the cause of most
tangles). Then double again and again leaving
the ends beyond the body. when the length of
the bundle suits me, I tie off the bundle
with either a strip of hook-and-loop or a
short length of cord which I leave permanently
tied near the plug end (which is also useful
to secure the cord near the outlet to avoid
pulling out the plug). To use the cord, hold
the ends and shake the doubles out. Rarely
ever a tangle, and no twisting.

I prefer re-doubling the cord to any other
form of storage because it will never add
twists to the cord -- the most damaging thing
you can do to an extension cord. The next
best method is to make a board with U-shaped
notches at both ends and wrap the cord in a
figure-8 pattern -- also avoiding twists in
the cord.

I like these methods for storing lines as well
as electric cords. Twisting occurs inevitably
when you coil ropes or cords the same way every
time -- you will always add a few more twists
one way than you remove when you uncoil the
line or cord.

--
--Pete
"Peter W. Meek"