What did you do before quilting?

Old February 8th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default What did you do before quilting?

Well, I sewed.
Was a student, worked as an alterations tailor (part of the only all
female men's alteration department in the JCPenney chain, back in the
early '70's), student, worked at the Dog and Horse tracks in Southern
Arizona ("on the parimutal line" or rather, behind it mostly, as a
change and money "runner" then as a cashier), was an undergrad TA in
Biology, grad TA in Home Ec. G amazing what happens with a change of
majors.
Was a math, and anything else that was needed that I had any background
in, tutor at one of the local community colleges, (ended up one class
short of a major in math, post graduation.) Tried to teach jr.high "Life
Skills" in south Phoenix, worked at a fabric store.
In my spare time, I have played with a variety of different "arts and
crafts", still love to cook and bake. Sew clothes for my self and DH,
and on occasion other relatives.

And am Baroness Leonore Aid-an, Countess Ironsteed (with a bunch of
alphabet soup and a couple of aka's) in the SCA.

Pati, in Phx

Georg wrote:

I'm currently a medical transcriptionist. I likes it. Have been in
desktop publishing and layout for a newspaper (including the Living
section), technical writing, bartending, security, lifeguard, chauffeur,
and bunch of other odd things.

And I'm THL George Anne of Æthelmearc in the SCA.

-georg

Old February 8th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I usually have several going too. Or finish them quickly. G

Pati, in Phx

C&S wrote:

Wow, glad to read that I'm not the only one that has 3 or more books going
at the same. It's sort of like my quilting ;oD

Old February 8th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Piggy backing here.

Along the way I have indulged in

Weaving, smocking, sewing clothing with the Stretch & Sew Method, crocheted
and knitted (still knitting), ceramiced, painted canvases and houses,
wallpapered, making beaded jewelry (still) and designing and making stained
glass windows. Phew, no wonder I need a nap some days.

Linda in Tx

Old February 8th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yes - large balls or skeins (or hanks to be wound into balls). Thicker
knitting yarns are not generally suitable as they do not wear well in rugs.
If you see anything I'd love to take a peek

Thanks
--

Cheryl in Oz
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

"KJ" wrote in message
No, but I'll keep my eyes open. Do you mean you need wool that's a
continuous strip like a ball of yarn?
I think I've seen strippers on ebay that do the wider cuts, then they
would be joined as a continuous strip.

--
Kathyl
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Cheryl in Oz" cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau wrote in message
Kathyl

If you are into rug making have you seen a rug making machine (a bit like
a knitting machine) that knots wool onto canvas. I have one hear from
years ago that never came out of the box, and now I can't get wool for
it. Most of what is sold here for rug making is pre-cut and I need
continuous.

Would you by any chance have any suggestions for sources? TIA
--

Cheryl in Oz
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

"KJ" wrote in message
Also forgot to add that I'm now interested in punchneedle embroidery and
rug hooking. But it will never replace my quilting addiction.

"KJ" wrote in message
Crewel embroidery in high school and college.
Needlepoint and a crochet class after college. That was the end of my
crochet career.
Various sewing projects along the way.
Made my first quilt from a kit from "Quilts and Other Comforts"
catalogue in 1979 when DS was born.
I made a few quilts and took classes for few years, then got interested
in machine applique and started a business with best friend. We sold
clothing embellished with paint, applique and sparkles....it was the
80's!!!!
Then back to quilting and haven't stopped yet!!!
Oh yeah, some cooking, gardening, reading....but not as much anymore.
Jobs: medical research in muscular dystrophy after college
then was a parking office with the Tempe AZ police department!!! woo
hoo
SAHM since DS was born. Now I call myself a retired SAHM!!

--
Kathyl
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old February 8th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'm not Kathyl, but I did a search for "rya yarn". Lots of sites popped up
including this one
http://www.fiber2yarn.com/custom/klippan/asbo_rya.htm
NAYY, it just looks like nice yarn in lots of colors.
Roberta in D

Old February 8th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
"nana2b" wrote:

Piggy backing here.

Me too. g

Along the way I have indulged in

Weaving, smocking, sewing clothing with the Stretch & Sew Method, crocheted
and knitted (still knitting), ceramiced, painted canvases and houses,
wallpapered, making beaded jewelry (still) and designing and making stained
glass windows. Phew, no wonder I need a nap some days.

Linda in Tx

Okay, I've sewn clothing and home dec stuff (drapes, bedspreads,
cushions, etc.) and experimented with macramé, cross stitch and counted
cross stitch, free-motion embroidery, découpage, and I can't remember
what else! g But quilting has lasted over twenty years now, so I guess
it's what I was waiting for.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Old February 9th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Oh gosh, you had to remind me, Macrome, decoupage, Oil and Acrylic
painting, vegetable gardening (will try it again this summer in my new
garden). I am sure more ideas come to mind. How did I find the time to do
all this and raise the kids?

Linda in Tx

Old February 9th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
"nana2b" wrote:

Oh gosh, you had to remind me, Macrome, decoupage, Oil and Acrylic
painting, vegetable gardening (will try it again this summer in my new
garden). I am sure more ideas come to mind. How did I find the time to do
all this and raise the kids?

Linda in Tx

I skipped the painting (I'm not artistic!) and the gardening, after I
discovered that my allergies flare up and make me more miserable than
it's worth. But like you, I was also raising kids at the time. Oh, and I
was also teaching school. Who was the idiot who said women could do it
all? We can, but why are we exhausting ourselves trying to live up to
the reputation? G

Old February 10th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hi Sandy, I feel so lucky that through all the "child rearing" years, I was
able to stay home and "play" with the kids and have the outlets for myself.
I thank that in alot of ways, Feminism allowed me to make the choice and not
feel like I was giving anything up. I was 21 when my DS Josh was born and 4
years later DD Amanda came along. We really grew up together and I played
along with them. We did so many fun things together. My grown up kids all
work and have a "career". My DDIL hasn't even considered staying home with
soon2B DGC. So, I will do it all over again, but not full-time. It will be
fun to read to a baby, color, finger-paint, swim etc all over again. A
young Granny at 53.

Linda in Tx