pattern for adult bibs

Old February 12th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default pattern for adult bibs

I am making adult bibs for a rest home. I have a Salvation Army pattern
using a terry hand towel , making a deep u and using Velcro to hook the bib
on. Does anyone know of another pattern? (hand towels aren't cheap and
don't make it to the thrift shops very often.) tia Kay

--
All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton Anti Virus software.

Old February 12th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

A friend of mine made bibs for her mother using the flannel backed vinyl.
There is a pattern here. http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/html/ec_bibs.html

--
Mary (Idaho to Oregon via Montana)

"thelaws" wrote in message
: I am making adult bibs for a rest home. I have a Salvation Army pattern
: using a terry hand towel , making a deep u and using Velcro to hook the
bib
: on. Does anyone know of another pattern? (hand towels aren't cheap and
: don't make it to the thrift shops very often.) tia Kay
:
: --

Old February 12th 06, 09:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

When mom was in a nursing home I made terry bibs for her. The home used
woven cloth "clothing protectors" made of the same poly/cotton as hospital
gowns. HTH
Barbara in SC

Old February 12th 06, 10:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I made about 100 for a home once using handtowells that were given to us as
seconds by a manufacturer. I cut slightly-larger-than-head-sized holes
towards one end and put wide ribbing bands on - like a loose crew neck.
They were quick and easy on the overlocker as they were needed in a hurry.
All the towells were white, but the bands were all different colours, and
they stood up to some pretty rough treatment in the home's laundry system.

I have dome something similar with pretty tea towells that were thick enough
too.

I was told that another lady made bibs from old sweats by cutting around the
back neck and down the front, then overlocking the edge, The lady at the
home I was sewing for at the time said they had been trimmed to look very
pretty, but I was asked for quick and tough so I never tried it.

We generally found that waiting for suitable towells in thrift shops was too
slow. But local manufacturers were usually pretty generous about giving us
seconds and with careful cutting the fault was often eliminated.
--

Cheryl in Oz
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

Old February 12th 06, 10:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

BTW - do you have an overlocker?

Have you considered using the less worn ends of towells? They might be
easier to come by.

Old February 12th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yes I do have a serger, and use that for bibs. I hadn't thought of old bath
towels, I can start in my bathroom cupboards. Kay

"thelaws" wrote in message
I am making adult bibs for a rest home. I have a Salvation Army pattern
using a terry hand towel , making a deep u and using Velcro to hook the
bib on. Does anyone know of another pattern? (hand towels aren't cheap
and don't make it to the thrift shops very often.) tia Kay

--
All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton Anti Virus software.

New pattern from picture. F.James Cripwell Needlework 0 December 28th 05 03:52 PM
Modifying a pattern Slinky Yarn 5 May 10th 04 11:58 PM
New FREE downloadable PMP 4 crossstitch pattern "Country Kitchen" available :O))) Misty Needlework 0 March 14th 04 01:54 PM
New FREE downloabable cross stitch pattern in PMP 4 zip file - art nouveau window to spring ! Misty Needlework 1 February 3rd 04 01:52 PM
New FREE downloabable cross stitch pattern in PMP 4 zip file - Sweet valentine :OD ! Misty Needlework 0 January 30th 04 09:36 PM