Has anyone any comments on the 'Square in a square' method?

Old January 20th 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Russell D. Miller

Default Has anyone any comments on the 'Square in a square' method?

I'm a neophyte quilter (4 baby quilts under my belt, making new mistakes,
er, make that 'learning more with each one').

I recently saw a web video of a person using what she called the 'Square in
a square method' to make half-triangle squares and flying geese. It looked
very easy, but a bit wasteful of fabric.

Has anyone seen this before, have any comments, etc? I don't want to
spring for a book or two and a special ruler if it is not worthwhile.

Thanks everyone....

Russ

Old January 20th 08, 05:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Here's a few methods. I don't see any waste with them, unless you don't
need *four* flying geese.

http://www.quilterscache.com/H/Howtomakegeese.html
http://www.patchpieces.com/Flyinggeese.html

I usually make mine by putting a square in the corner of the rectangle,
sewing diagonally across the square and then trimming off the corner
triangle.... and tossing those triangles. There's a fair amount of waste,
but I justify it by the accuracy and the time saved.

This website has an amazing amount of info on just about any quilting
technique plus blocks and patterns and links... and... and... LOL If you
only have one quilting link then this is the one to have! Spend some time
looking thru what they have to offer-

http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.co...icQuilters.htm

And WELCOME to rctq, Russ!

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

. ..

Old January 20th 08, 05:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Hello, Russ. I don't have an answer for your question. Just wanted to bid
you welcome and suggest that you ask your questions here. No need for you
to make mistakes. We have already made them all. Probably some you haven't
even thought of yet. Polly

Old January 20th 08, 06:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KI Graham

I really like the square-in-square technique for some blocks (although
that's not my method of choice for either flying geese or half-square
triangles): it's not really that wasteful [considerably less so than the
"stitch and flip" method of adding triangles]. It's great for diamond shapes
and longer star points [such as the ones in 54-40 or fight.] Downside: it
leaves the outside edges on the bias; Upside: it's perfectly accurate, and
if you don't handle them too much, the biases aren't a problem. A shot of
spray starch helps control that too.

Upside 2: for the basic square-in-square patches, it can't be beat for
speed...I made 100+ of them for our 25th anniversary party in a single
afternoon. [Hmmm...we've been married 30 years, guess it's time to do
something with all those signature patches.]

The ruler's a bit pricey, but if you use it a fair amount, it's not a bad
investment. Jodie Burrows [the square-in-square lady] has a number of books
out that use the ruler as well.

Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
THE WORD IN PATCHWORK

Old January 20th 08, 08:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
steve

Welcome Russ

Here is the method that I use to make flying geese. All you have to do is
cut squares and sew them together and cut them apart again in the right way
and there is no waste at all.

This is the link to my website where I've posted two sheets of directions.
http://rainbowmoose.googlepages.com/pattern_page.html

One page is the for the directions and the other page is a chart for the
sizes to cut to make several different sizes of flying geese. Also, no
special ruler needed.

Hope this helps.

Steven
Alaska

Old January 20th 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

That could convert me from doing mine with foundation piecing, Steven!
I'll print out the pages, if that's OK with you. I love FG. I often do
long strips - which I might still do on paper; but individuals to sew in
places would be great this way. I'm think it would be a good way to do
Ohio Star?
,
In message , steve
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 20th 08, 01:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Welcome Russ.
I think Polly was right - with such a large group someone is sure to
have made the mistake you are just about to make gg So, ask first! I
mean, you could even ask if anyone had found any pitfalls with such and
such a pattern? Or, would that spoil all the fun?!
..
In message , Russell D.
Miller writes

Old January 20th 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Welcome Russ! Leslie, those are good sites. I use the method in the 2nd
site, as well as your mthod when I don't want 4 alike. But I don't toss the
triangles :-)
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...

Old January 20th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
threads

Hi Russ,

I have seen this method and I also thought it was very wasteful.
Leslie gave you a couple of helpful links. Flying geese are fun to
make and very little waste if any. When I trip off the extra, which
is two tiny triangles of light and dark fabric, I made miniature
quilts out of them. Then you have no waste at all!!

Piece,

Marsha in nw, Ohio

Square in a Square by Jodi Barrows hmharris[_2_] Quilting 16 April 24th 07 02:45 PM
square-in-square -Thanks Polly! Roberta Zollner Quilting 2 January 1st 05 03:24 PM
"1" 6x6 square [email protected] Yarn 3 September 6th 04 05:27 AM
black and white square in a square Brian Christiansen Quilting 3 June 22nd 04 07:59 AM
I did my first crochet square bibe Yarn 17 February 29th 04 11:39 PM