URL for quilt square in question

Old April 11th 07, 06:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dorothy

Default URL for quilt square in question

http://stores.ebay.com/QuiltCreative...its-and-Fabric

First time I've tried doing this so I hope it works.

Dorothy
DeFuniak Springs, FL

Old April 11th 07, 07:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_2_]

that's right!

ok, now for the block, I strongly suspect it doesn't have a specific name,
but is a creation of the artist. The centre is an ohio star with an
additional square in the centre (this may have another name, but I'm not
familiar with it). Then it's strips of 3 flying geese round the eight sides.

Actually looking again, I don't think the proportions of the 9 patch are
equal, it's been stretched such that the diagonals of the corner squares are
the same as the length as the other 4 places where the flying geese are,
which I suppose technically means the middle isn't an ohio star, but it's
the same shape as one.

That makes it not even straight forward to draft, you've got to pick a
measurement for the flying geese block that when it's placed on the diagonal
of a square is a nice measurement (or if it isn't you'd have to make
templates).

The formula to calculate that would be sqrt{[(FG)^2]/2}, where FG is the
length of the flying geese unit, in words, that's square that measurement,
divide by 2, then take the square root.

geese unit | square dec | square frac
3 | 2.121 | 2 1/8
4.5 | 3.181 | not good
6 | 4.242 | 4 1/4
7.5 | 5.303 | not good
9 | 6.364 | not good

I chose the first as easy multiples of 3, though you could go in between as
I just went for geese height as 1, 1.5 etc.

Remember the width of the geese is twice the height.

The size of the middle square is the same as the length of the geese unit, I
think I'd cut the square to size, mark the seam allowance and mark the
stitching lines for the square in square, then just cut a square big enough.

As the geese are in blocks of 3 and each is a different fabric, some of the
short cuts are not going to be shortcurts, I'd consider foundation piecing
it, especially if you were doing it in a smaller size.

The setting bits round the edge are not trivial either, I think drafting it
really would be a good idea, even if you do pick easy measurements.

Thanks for posting this, I rather like it, I may do it as a minature wall
hanging, the 6 inch geese appeal, it would end up 14.5 inches.

Btw, when referring to stuff on the web, it's always best to post a link, if
the link is too long, copy it, go to tinyurl.com, paste it and make a
smaller link to post here. At the opposite end of the spectrum, it's polite
to google (search) for something before posting a question.

Cheers

Anne

Old April 11th 07, 08:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Yes, it worked Dorothy - well done!
I have a strong feeling that that is a 'created' block, and not one of
the ones known by a name.
If you want to make one like it, it would be very easy to draw it
yourself. If you have some graph paper, you'll be able to do it more
quickly; but even without it would be possible.
A pad of graph paper is a very handy accessory in the sewing room g
..
In message . com,
Dorothy writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 11th 07, 10:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

Gosh!! - all those sums! As a mathematically illiterate I am filled with
admiration.

I've put it in my 'Perhaps to do' file - I have an Aunt with a 100th
birthday coming up next year, and I made her sister a cushion for her
100th, (she lasted until 102) so it follows Miriam will have one too.

I have a pretty method of 3D flying geese, so may use those, or may just
be brave and do a circle of flying geese (paper pieced of course!). I
shall use the Quilters' Cache 8 pointed star. On the other hand I may go
deeper into my EQ6 and learn/try diagonals!

I find it a good idea to plan a year ahead.

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)
Old April 11th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Good thing I don't have to do math to create a 9 patch!

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

. ..

Old April 11th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
marigold

Thanks Anne
I got to your formula and burst out with a chuckle. Even wide awake, I'd
have to put my thinking cap on to figure that out. Still being half asleep
and no coffee yet, the impossibility of my understanding such a thing made
me laugh!

Marilyn
in Alberta, Canada

Old April 11th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Dorothy" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://stores.ebay.com/QuiltCreative...its-and-Fabric

First time I've tried doing this so I hope it works.

Wow!
Beautiful block.

I've kept a picture - it is one I would sure like to try.

I may just try and draft it, if I come up with some nice easy directions, I
will post them.

In the meantime, I googled on "star flying geese quilt block" and came up
with TONS of neat blocks (none that matched, unfortunately).

Old April 14th 07, 06:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Alternative no math, no ruler way (aka Down and Dirty Sewing):
Draw it on graph paper, cut paper on drawn lines for templates, cut
fabric adding 1/4 inch to templates, sew.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at