Arts and Crafts Style Window Treatments

Old April 12th 04, 05:08 PM
MAK

Default Arts and Crafts Style Window Treatments

Hello,
As a new member of this group, I'm looking forward to the threads
here. We have our master bedroom decorated in Mission Oak and are
looking to add some window treatments. Our primary considerations
are light (only 2 windows, but they both face East - not *our*
idea!), style (want to stay as close to traditional as possible), and
functionality (ease of use and maintenance, etc.)

So here are my questions:

1. What suggestions does anyone have on appropriate window
treatments, given these criteria? We're looking at both venetian
wood blinds and roman shades.

2. Does the slat width (wood blinds) or # folds (roman shades) have
a bearing on the Arts & Crafts or Mission style?

3. What about inside the frame vs. outside mounting of either?
Which would be more in keeping with the style? Which would eliminate
the most light? We have cranks on the windows - does that make a
difference? What affect would outside mounting have on how far out
curtains would go (I'd like to make some tab curtains). There's a
narrow aisle in front of one of the windows.

4. If we go with the wood blinds, would you recommend wide or narrow
slats? Light is the biggest consideration here, but also aesthetics.

Thanks in advance for your opinions on these!
Old April 12th 04, 05:42 PM
Penny S

MAK wrote:
Hello,
As a new member of this group, I'm looking forward to the threads
here. We have our master bedroom decorated in Mission Oak and are
looking to add some window treatments. Our primary considerations
are light (only 2 windows, but they both face East - not *our*
idea!), style (want to stay as close to traditional as possible), and
functionality (ease of use and maintenance, etc.)

So here are my questions:

snip

There are many beautiful books on Craftsman homes, I knowmy library carries
some, yours might too. I'd think you could get lots of ideas from looking at
the photos.

penny s

Old April 12th 04, 06:16 PM

Arts and Crafts Style Window Treatments

(MAK)
Hello,
As a new member of this group, I'm looking forward to the threads here.
We have our master bedroom decorated in Mission Oak and are looking to
add some window treatments. Our primary considerations are light (only 2
windows, but they both face East - not *our* idea!), style (want to stay
as close to traditional as possible), and functionality (ease of use and
maintenance, etc.)
So here are my questions:
1. What suggestions does anyone have on appropriate window treatments,
given these criteria? We're looking at both venetian wood blinds and
roman shades.
---
I just picked up an interesting book which covers this very
subject. 'Victorian Details' Joanna Wissinger, 1990, E.P.Dutton, ISBN
#0-525-48536-8. Loads of good references in the bibliography and
indexes, so you could get more info before deciding on a treatment.
According to the author, Arts and Crafts falls within the latter part
of the Victorian Period, originating in England, 1870--1890, as a
reaction to shoddy mass-produced goods. This period actually encompassed
a wide variety of styles.
The American outgrowth was known as the 'Craftsman' style, part of the
Arts and Crafts revival period, generally 1880 to 1910, and dominated by
the designs of Charles Eastlake and William Morris, with America still
looking to England for inspiration.
---
2. Does the slat width (wood blinds) or # folds (roman shades) have a
bearing on the Arts & Crafts or Mission style?
---
Wood venetian blinds, pull-down roller shades; simplicity was the
key: quiet colors with 'greyed tones, soft, clear-hued vegetable dyes,
small geometric or stylized floral designs.' Wm Morris designs are
experiencing a revival, so you should be able to buy fabric with the
appropriate designs, should you desire.
Here is a quote from V.D. :
roller shades:
"stiffened fabric...invented in the 19th century... decorative
stencils...with landscapes, mottoes or floral prints...magazines
recommended readers to make their own shades, using patent spring
rollers and fine linen, translucent artist's tracing cloth,or opaque
oilcloth..."
Neutral tones were favored (white, buff, grey), so that the quality
of light was undiluted as it shone through the shades.
---
3. What about inside the frame vs. outside mounting of either? Which
would be more in keeping with the style? Which would eliminate the most
light? We have cranks on the windows - does that make a difference? What
affect would outside mounting have on how far out curtains would go (I'd
like to make some tab curtains). There's a narrow aisle in front of one
of the windows.
---
4. If we go with the wood blinds, would you recommend wide or narrow
slats? Light is the biggest consideration here, but also aesthetics.
Thanks in advance for your opinions on these! ---
What I have seen favors wide slats, inside mount, so as not to
interfere with the decorative wood trim around windows, and in keeping
with the aesthetic of simplicity. Tab curtains seem more of a
colonial/country style, a bit outside the utter simplicity desired of A
& C.
As to light elimination, I am a fan of sun-block lined Roman shades,
mounted just outside the window frame for max light control. The
sunblock backing also gives a uniform look from the exterior. I just
don't know how closely you want to adhere to the Arts and Crafts
aesthetic. Unless the crank protrudes beyond the window frame, an
outside mount should cover/hide the crank. With an inside mount, the
shade might be bumped out by that crank handle, interfering with light
control. If you chose to use lined shade/blind, though, you won't need
to add curtains.
Certainly you could experiment inexpensively with roller blinds, to
see if they provide the light control you need, before investing in
linen and hand-executed decoration, or custom Roman or wood slat shades.
IMHO, mini blinds, even in wood, look cheap and modern.
Cea

Old April 12th 04, 06:55 PM
Allen Epps

In article , Penny S
wrote:

MAK wrote:
Hello,
As a new member of this group, I'm looking forward to the threads
here. We have our master bedroom decorated in Mission Oak and are
looking to add some window treatments. Our primary considerations
are light (only 2 windows, but they both face East - not *our*
idea!), style (want to stay as close to traditional as possible), and
functionality (ease of use and maintenance, etc.)

So here are my questions:

snip

There are many beautiful books on Craftsman homes, I knowmy library carries
some, yours might too. I'd think you could get lots of ideas from looking at
the photos.

penny s

pricy but my couple year subscription has led to lots of home and
WW'ing ideas.
Allen
Catonsville, MD
Old April 12th 04, 11:26 PM
RLK

"MAK" wrote in message

2. Does the slat width (wood blinds) or # folds (roman shades) have
a bearing on the Arts & Crafts or Mission style?

3. What about inside the frame vs. outside mounting of either?
Which would be more in keeping with the style? Which would eliminate
the most light? We have cranks on the windows - does that make a
difference? What affect would outside mounting have on how far out
curtains would go (I'd like to make some tab curtains). There's a
narrow aisle in front of one of the windows.

4. If we go with the wood blinds, would you recommend wide or narrow
slats? Light is the biggest consideration here, but also aesthetics.

We live in a Victorian hybrid (has some colonial elements) built in 1907 -
the previous owner left behind wood blinds and wooden half-shutters. She was
very keen on keeping the period aspects of the house including historical
colors so I have to believe it is in keeping. The wooden blinds and shutters
are both inside mount, with 1" slats.

I can see tab-top curtains, especially if you chose beige or ivory linen
with a natural slub so it complements the simplicity of the Mission elements
in the room.

I guess it is quite a matter of personal preference.... all the original
hardware -- the hardware for flat roller blinds mount outside and beyond
that hardware for double rods. I'm limited slightly by what I can do for the
windows as each window is topped by a cornice. They look lovely but too much
dark wood, it is hard to decide whether to hang window treatments with the
cornice above or behind them.

For curtains, I tend to favor heavier drapery to keep out drafts in an older
house (I'm still working on this). Our bedroom has drapes with attached
valances done in florals. Ideally, I would chose a vintage floral print on a
tan or beige background heavy enough to need tiebacks. Waverly fabrics has
an excellent assortment in their Vintage Collection. All the fabrics in this
line have a faded vintage look and one fern pattern I know of is slightly
reminiscent of Wm Morris. Bullion fringe would add a bit of Victorian
splendour if that look is preferred. Right now I have large key tassels
suspended from behind the valances. Our bedroom faces east as well, and in
the summer the room is sweltering from the sun! I'm hoping to line the
curtains for this or next summer to keep the room cooler.

Old April 13th 04, 08:56 PM
Dezignaré

It seems you are set on blinds or shades, but you might consider sheer
drapery panels for the actual window area to let in lots of light, with
heavier side panels hanging off rings from a decorative iron rod. Fabrics,
especially those with the beautiful patterns so indicative of the period,
add much warmth and interest to the very straight lines of Arts and Crafts
furnishings.

Hanging decorative arts and crafts stained glass panels over the existing
windows is another option that will allow plenty of light and create a
beautiful focal point. But, this may depend on whether or not you have a
view you wish to obscure or enhance.

We also suggest you visit
http://www.dezignare.com/libary/libr...ts&Crafts.html where you will
find, in some instances, virtual tours of historical structures built
during the time, which will help you find the appropriate solution.

om...

Old April 14th 04, 04:19 AM
buymyartwork.com

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message ...
That is a fantastic link! :-)
Hi every one. You all need to see this web sight. This artis rek Is the most interesting artist I have ever have ever known. In his web sight http://www.buymyartwork.com

http://www.reksworld.com
This art work is very abstract it is simply awesome. I have spent
hours with people talking about what we saw in the art work. It seems
every time we go back to look we all see another series of formations
that make new creatures.
enjoy the rek art.. the world needs to see this eye candy

Old April 16th 04, 11:57 PM
J. Clarke

MAK wrote:

[...]

You might want to research Frank Lloyd Wright a bit if you haven't already.
Windows were one of his great talents--see what he did and you won't be far
wrong.

While he wasn't precisely part of the Arts and Crafts movement, his work was
influenced by Arts and Crafts and later Arts and Crafts was influenced by
Wright, and it would not be unusual to find Arts and Crafts furnishings in
a Wright-designed house (while he designed the furnishings for most of the
houses he designed he himself admitted that his furniture designs, visually
impressive though they were, were often not very comfortable, so retrofits
were not uncommon).

I just took a quick look through one of my references and in the photos
there I find that he tended to use rather ordinary looking curtains, color
coordinated to something or other--sometimes the woodwork or some other
structural element, sometimes the window pattern (he was big on stained
glass), sometimes something else, when he used anything at all--generally
if it wasn't _necessary_ to cover the window for some reason he didn't
provide any means to do so. He tended to hang curtains from overhead
tracks that allowed the curtains to be moved completely out of the way when
not in use rather than from the modern tracks that cover a single window.
Also he occasionally used plain ordinary window shades.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)