New sewing table finished

Old November 5th 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default New sewing table finished

I have finished a 5 drawer sewing table for use with my Janome 1600. I
decided to build one just for this machine as the various parts and
feet and other items, that pertain to this machine, were scattered
around the room in various places, and the machine felt like an
orphan. I am still in the process of fitting small dividers in the
various drawers to separate and house the 30+ industrial feet and the
walking foot. There will also be dividers for the tools and stitch
plates, needles, and other items that never seemed to find a permanent
home until now. Plenty of extra room to hold large 3000 yard cones of
thread in the bottom drawer. I will probably get back into using this
machine more, now that it has a place for everything that pertains to
it. The dimensions are 42" long by 24" deep. I placed it perpendicular
to the window so that it can pass large quilts through the harp,
without jamming up the fabric behind the machine into the window, as
has happened with large quilts before. The table and stand are Cherry,
but the top is Maple. That is a much more rugged wood for serious
manhandling of needle saturated fabric which does tend to scratch the
Cherry surfaces after a lot of heavy usage. Another couple of days and
the compartmentalized drawers will be done, and I can get back to
doing some sewing. The link below will tell the tale.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...34737256428530

John
Old November 5th 09, 11:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

John, beautiful work, as usual. I'm curious why you didn't make the
table so the machine could be flush with the top. Is there some part
of the machine's physique that requires keeping it above table?

Sunny
Old November 6th 09, 12:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Nov 5, 6:38*pm, Sunny wrote:
John, beautiful work, as usual. I'm curious why you didn't make the
table so the machine could be flush with the top. Is there some part
of the machine's physique that requires keeping it above table?

Sunny

I had that machine inset flush into a table for about a year and it
worked well enough. I then used to do a lot of quilting with that
machine. Since that time I have acquired a lot of industrial feet that
let me do some rather intricate clothing construction, much like an
industrial machine would do, and I prefer to have the machine
standing above the surface for that usage. I have a large extension
table that converts the machine to a flat surrounding surface, so now
I have the best of both worlds, for my purposes. I also use the table
for another machine sometimes and if there were a large cut out, then
it might limit my uses for that. I am dealing with a room that has to
be multifunctional because of it's size, so compromise is the name of
the game. In the best of all situations, I would have a whole bunch of
different machines set up and ready to go, but that is not in the
cards, for me, right now, do to the size constraints of the room I use
for sewing and quilting. Sigh!

John
Old November 6th 09, 12:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ruby

beautiful table.
Ruby
Old November 6th 09, 12:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

I not not surprised at how beautiful this table is. It is wonderful
to see something that is so utilitarian be a fine crafted piece
of furniture. I wonder too why you didn't make the machine
flush with the tabletop. I have bet you have a reason for that
though. I'll look forward to seeing your next quilt get made
there.
Taria

Old November 6th 09, 01:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

Very nice. I sure wish you were here and could teach me to use a router.
Although I'm sure I'll figure it out. We plan on making a built in
bookcase for the master bedroom when we eventually finish actually
putting up wall. You do such wonderful work.
Thanx
Joanna

Old November 6th 09, 02:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

John wrote:
[...]

There are some books out that deal with using a router for various
furniture making purposes. You might check some of those out, and see
if they can give you some guidance. I actually don't use a router
much. Only for adding a couple of molding profiles to the edges of
some types of trim. I cut all of the dovetails by hand and can do that
almost as fast as if I set up a router to do the various cuts that
make that joint possible. They have jigs that automate the cutting of
that joint, somewhat, but they make a rather uniform and machine made
joint that is not as artistic looking as a hand cut joint. Nor does it
give the same sense of accomplishment to me that a series of hand cut
joints with saw and chisels does. That might be a point of personal
preference with me, but the hand work is what I enjoy doing, not the
production of large volumes of work. Glad you liked the table.

John

Old November 6th 09, 03:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

Holy cow, it's a work of art! Beauty and function in one piece...you
are a man of talent both in sewing and furntiure building. Donna
Old November 6th 09, 04:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Edna Pearl

Lovely, John. I am also starting to notice the alarming rate at which you
turn out these wooden works of art!

I also wondered why you did not make the cabinet so as to set the machine
down in it, and your explanation makes sense.

I know you will enjoy using this latest piece!

ep

Old November 6th 09, 01:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kiteflyer

Love the table! Hope you are taking advantage of the nice weather to
get out and ride though! lol Plenty of time for indoor stuff shortly.

--
Denny in Fort Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/kiteflyer54

/\
/ \
/ \
\ /
\ /
\/
\
\
/
\
\
/
\

sewing table Anne Rogers Quilting 23 August 22nd 09 09:35 PM
Sewing Table teleflora Quilting 19 March 18th 08 09:08 PM
Table topper finished jennellh Quilting 13 February 16th 08 07:30 AM
Fall Table Runner - finished and gone! Alice Quilting 11 August 27th 07 12:34 AM
sewing table Susanne Quilting 9 December 7th 04 06:14 AM