Fabric cutting tools

Old November 5th 09, 03:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

Default Fabric cutting tools

Does or has anyone here used this device for fabric cutting?
Particularly lenghts of fabric? It seems pretty nifty for keeping
fabric aligned but not sure if it's worth the $$. A friend of mine
and I saw this being demo'd in Lancaster earlier this year. She's
thinking about putting it on her xmas list. Since you folks know
everything, I thought I'd come here for the scoop.

www.quiltcut.com

Thanks,
Kim in NJ
Old November 5th 09, 04:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bonnie Patterson[_2_]

I have seen it used and the new edition is better than the original.
That said, I am still on the is it worth the money list. I like it but
would I use it? Don't know...

Old November 6th 09, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

I would spend that kind of money for something like that but talk to me
in a few years I might change my mind.
Joanna

Old November 6th 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

AuntK wrote:
Does or has anyone here used this device for fabric cutting?
Particularly lenghts of fabric? It seems pretty nifty for keeping
fabric aligned but not sure if it's worth the $$. A friend of mine
and I saw this being demo'd in Lancaster earlier this year. She's
thinking about putting it on her xmas list. Since you folks know
everything, I thought I'd come here for the scoop.

www.quiltcut.com

Thanks,
Kim in NJ

One tool that helps a lot for rotary cutting is a Gripper for your
ruler. I tried one at a quilt retreat recently and it's definitely on
my wish list. I think everyone at the retreat who tried it out has got
one since or wants to get one.

http://www.thegypsyquilter.com/thegypsygripper.htm

NAYY
Allison
Old November 6th 09, 03:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ruby

a very timely discussion as cutting is one of my weak spots. i have
seen that gadget in magazines but it seems limited and very pricey. I
thin if it was a good tool that my quilt shop might get it and cut
fabric for patrons for a price as the do quilting.
Just a thought.
ruby
Old November 6th 09, 03:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry Starr[_3_]

On Nov 5, 9:46*am, AuntK wrote:
Does or has anyone here used this device for fabric cutting?
Particularly lenghts of fabric? *It seems pretty nifty for keeping
fabric aligned but not sure if it's worth the $$. *A friend of mine
and I saw this being demo'd in Lancaster earlier this year. *She's
thinking about putting it on her xmas list. *Since you folks know
everything, I thought I'd come here for the scoop.

www.quiltcut.com

Thanks,
Kim in NJ

I don't have one, but one of my friends has one. She loves it. I
have borrowed it several times, and I love it. I hope to get one as
soon as I do some major cleaning out and rearranging in my sewing
room.

Sherry Starr
Old November 6th 09, 03:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Nov 6, 10:10*am, Allison wrote:
AuntK wrote:
Does or has anyone here used this device for fabric cutting?
Particularly lenghts of fabric? *It seems pretty nifty for keeping
fabric aligned but not sure if it's worth the $$. *A friend of mine
and I saw this being demo'd in Lancaster earlier this year. *She's
thinking about putting it on her xmas list. *Since you folks know
everything, I thought I'd come here for the scoop.

www.quiltcut.com

Thanks,
Kim in NJ

One tool that helps a lot for rotary cutting is a Gripper for your
ruler. *I tried one at a quilt retreat recently and it's definitely on
my wish list. *I think everyone at the retreat who tried it out has got
one since or wants to get one.

http://www.thegypsyquilter.com/thegypsygripper.htm

NAYY
Allison

I've seen and tried the gripper at my LQS and for me it was
underwhelming. Just didn't see where it really helped me all that
much. This device clamps both the fabric and the ruler which seems
more advantageous to me. I showed the flyer to my DH and he quipped
that it was the same as the mat cutter that I already have in the
attic. Not sure about that. Haven't tried to adapt that to fabric
yet.
Old November 6th 09, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ruby

nice to have some feed back from someone who has used it. What do you
like about it best?? is it easy to use?? does it have any limitations???
can you cut different sized blocks, diamonds etc. ??
.. I am pondering a tumbling blocks for my next project.
ruby

Old November 6th 09, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Nov 6, 10:37*am, Ruby wrote:
a very timely discussion as cutting is one of my weak spots. *i have
seen that gadget in magazines but it seems limited and very pricey. *I
thin if it was a good tool that my quilt shop *might get it and cut
fabric for patrons for a price as the do quilting.
Just a thought.
ruby

Good thought! If I can find the brochure again maybe I'll take it w/
me next time I go to the LQS and see if anyone there has used it and
get their feedback. They also just recently set up a long arm in the
shop for sale. The owners son is also a friend of ours and I asked
him the other evening if he knew if the shop was planning on renting
out time on that. Another question for when I stop in. The last
couple of times I've been in there it was either crazy busy or I was
on a mission and didn't really have the opportunity to chat.

Kim in NJ
Old November 6th 09, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Nov 6, 10:37*am, Sherry Starr wrote:
On Nov 5, 9:46*am, AuntK wrote:

Does or has anyone here used this device for fabric cutting?
Particularly lenghts of fabric? *It seems pretty nifty for keeping
fabric aligned but not sure if it's worth the $$. *A friend of mine
and I saw this being demo'd in Lancaster earlier this year. *She's
thinking about putting it on her xmas list. *Since you folks know
everything, I thought I'd come here for the scoop.

www.quiltcut.com

Thanks,
Kim in NJ

I don't have one, but one of my friends has one. *She loves it. *I
have borrowed it several times, and I love it. *I hope to get one as
soon as I do some major cleaning out and rearranging in my sewing
room.

Sherry Starr

Sherry,
Thanks for the input. Does it handle yardage favorably? Yardage
doesn't bother me as I come from a clothing and home dec sewing
background. But my friend is terrified of yardage! She is the FQ
Queen. The last time she bought yardage for a quilt she came here so
I could cut her strips! I'm sure one of the reasons she's leaning
towards this device is because she has a king-sized quilt to do in her
not too distant future. I'm sure all that fabric is freaking her out!

Kim in NJ

What tools please? Jeremy Pinwhistle Jewelry 2 October 18th 09 12:43 AM
Builder or handyman tools as quilting tools Debra Quilting 17 April 13th 06 03:36 PM
here comes the tools now Glassman Glass 22 January 29th 06 01:55 AM
Tools dugron1 webtv Carving 1 February 15th 05 08:12 PM
Fabric cutting table plans Brian and Lisa Fields Quilting 13 September 6th 04 04:23 PM