Help WAshing a New Baby Quilt

Old November 1st 09, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

Default Help WAshing a New Baby Quilt

On Nov 1, 9:10*am, Sandy wrote:
In article ,
*"Polly Esther" wrote:

HOOooooEeeee, Sherry, you've learned a lot. *Creating a quilt to sell would,
I think, just smother me. *I can be bought, however; *$ 20,000 or so might
do it. *Other than that, I just don't think I could. *Don't think I could
handle the pressure. *Polly

Join the club! :O I've noticed that one of the first things many people
ask when they find out that we're quilters is, "Do you sell your
quilts?" Nope. Not me. I think it would take all of the fun out of
making them.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sw.foster1 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)http://www.sandymike.net

You are so right. It sucks the fun right out of quilting for me.
Polly's descriptive, "smother" is true. And this was a crib quilt!
Only 45"x45"!
I'd have had a nervous breakdown long before a fullsized bed quilt was
done.

Sherry
Old November 1st 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

"Sandy" wrote in message
Join the club! :O I've noticed that one of the first things many people
ask when they find out that we're quilters is, "Do you sell your
quilts?" Nope. Not me. I think it would take all of the fun out of
making them.

Too much like work if I HAVE to do it! You got to be real careful how you
tell people though. We had a little quilt show at a church during a
community festival a few weeks ago. About 30-40 quilts, it was really
beautiful!

A woman came in and asked one of the girls if the quilts were for sale. The
quilt gal said, "oh, honey, you couldn't afford them!" Meaning, like Polly,
most of us sure ain't doing it for the money. However, for $20,000 I, too,
could be bought.

The woman got extremely offended (rightfully so!) yelled at the quilt gal
and stomped off. We didn't get a chance to explain that it is just
something we quilters say to each other.

This is what happens when they let us out amongst the English. We mostly
keep to our own kind and forget how to interact with "normal" people.

Cindy

Old November 2nd 09, 12:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

I once had a 'kindly' lady at a quilt show sell one of my crib sized quilts-
blue ribbon and all!- for $15. Now this was 20 years ago but I'm still
miffed! And she promised the buyer I'd make her a second one for $15, too.
(I had said I'd donate the quilt for a benefit raffle, but to sell it
outright and for that price *and* promise a second one???)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old November 2nd 09, 12:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

So? Did you MAKE the second one??

Cindy gotta have The Rest of the Story!

Old November 2nd 09, 02:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Of course. Exactly like the first one but she chose the colors- and the $30
went to the local volunteer fire dept. Then we sold our house and moved
away. Not any connection to the quilt episodes, tho! ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old November 2nd 09, 10:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

LOL! Most potential customers back off if you start doing the math for
them. The price of fabric for the top alone is usually more than they
expected to pay for a finished quilt! And if they are still
interested, then I explain my labor costs. Of course, I might give in
if offered that much money.
Roberta in D

Old November 3rd 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kim Graham[_2_]

Default mis-handled quilt sales was Help WAshing a New Baby Quilt

I can beat that, Leslie: a teacher at my son's school [where coincidentally,
I worked too!] seemed pleased to have a quilt as a raffle prize. It was duly
included on the tickets: as 4th prize, after a handcrafted plate, tickets to
a football game, and dinner for two at McDonald's.

For the first time in my life, I bought a whole book of raffle tickets. When
the student came to my office to tell me I'd won, I said I'd like the quilt.
She said, "No, you won first prize." I said "No, I'll take the quilt!'

Gave the quilt to Great Grandma...it's he
http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g...randma_jpg.htm

I ended up paying over $200 for my own quilt...then the teacher had the
nerve to complain that my son didn't sell his quota of chocolate bars [we
lived out of district and I felt it wasn't right for him to sell stuff for a
school that wasn't local.] Grrr...it still makes me a little crankier than I
like to admit!

--
Kim Graham
THE WORD IN PATCHWORK

Old November 3rd 09, 03:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

Default mis-handled quilt sales

You handled it way better then I would have. I would have had an
absolute fit to find it as 4th prize, below McDonalds. Crazy!
Thanx for sharing
Joanna

Old November 3rd 09, 04:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

And here's one for appropriate pay for time and skill. A seamstress over in
Mobile AL charges $400 to make very minor alterations to wedding gowns.
*Not* letting out a size 4 to cover a size 18 hip, I mean just a nip or tuck
somewhere. Sounds about fair to me. Polly

Old November 3rd 09, 01:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Oh, Kim, that's really pretty!

Ginger in CA
[some people's priorities! 4th behind McDonalds!!??]

Gave the quilt to Great Grandma...it's hehttp://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g...pages/greatgra...

I ended up paying over $200 for my own quilt...then the teacher had the
nerve to complain that my son didn't sell his quota of chocolate bars [we
lived out of district and I felt it wasn't right for him to sell stuff for a
school that wasn't local.] Grrr...it still makes me a little crankier than I
like to admit!

--
Kim Graham
THE WORD IN PATCHWORKhttp://members.shaw.ca/kigraham

"Leslie& The Furbabies in MO." wrote in ...

I once had a 'kindly' lady at a quilt show sell one of my crib sized
quilts- blue ribbon and all!- for $15.- Hide quoted text -

washing ver old quilt with stains Hobot Quilting 2 March 11th 08 02:15 PM
Quilt washing question John Quilting 33 November 18th 07 09:51 PM
washing small rag quilt hmharris Quilting 4 March 8th 07 09:05 PM
Washing a Red Quilt? dogmom Quilting 8 July 27th 05 07:52 PM
Washing a new quilt Hanne Gottliebsen Quilting 2 September 9th 03 01:51 PM