Need help with design/lay out

Old October 27th 09, 05:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

Default Need help with design/lay out

I've been cutting like crazy lately. Cut 6.5" squares and then cut them
in half for triangles. All squares are cut from one of a kind
material/print. So you have 2 like triangles, although some are fussy
cut. I am going to take 2 different triangles and put them together to
make a square. I think I have enough even that I won't use one whole
stack. So that there will only be one of each kind of print. Kind of
like an I spy quilt.

Question is when it comes to putting the quilt together. Should I put
sashing in between each or just borders around the edge. I would love to
see pics if anyone has them of an I spy with and without sashing. I'm
making this for the 2.5yr old for when she goes into a big bed. Right
now she's in a toddler bed. So I have lots of time. Will still take me a
few days of cutting when I can in between dealing with 2 sick kids.
Thanx for the help
Joanna
Old October 27th 09, 05:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

might depend on how many HSTs you'll have and do they add up to a big enough
quilt.

you could add more interest by using 4 of those with narrow-ish sashing
between,
then put wider sashing between those units, add a couple of borders til it
is big enough.

vary the colour on the narrow sashing and you get more games when comes time
to play I Spy.

adding colour and math elements on kids quilts appeals to me for fun and
games.
find this, match that, how many of whatever can you find.
why not make it fun to cuddly under and fun to play with too.
just my two cents,
j.

"Joanna" wrote ..

Old October 27th 09, 12:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

IMO, if your "other" triangles are all the same, e.g. a dark
background, you don't need sashing. You can point the triangle squares
all the same direction or use any kind of log cabin layout. If you
want to pair 2 busy printed triangles, then sashing gives the eye
someplace to rest.
Roberta in D

Old October 27th 09, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

I agree with Roberta. Eye needs someplace to rest. One half of square
is enough. If you have lots of extra print triangles then use them for
both sides of quilt. I also like the idea of adding letters and
numbers to a child's quilt.

Susan