OT [very] My Hometown is on Fire

Old July 4th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Default OT [very] My Hometown is on Fire

A couple of days ago someone started a fire on the hills, possibly
illegal fireworks, just near the gun club my dad built, and where I
learned so much about life and myself [besides learning to be a crack
shot]. The fire is now over 5000 acres and is heading into Goleta, a
town near Santa Barbara [central coast Calif]. There has been
structure loss and massive mandatory evacuations. Eighteen years ago
there was a fire that marched from the top of the mountain down to the
ocean in less than 3 hours, destroying most everything in its path,

The Gap Fire, as it is called, started in windy Gap area of the hills.
It is considered the #1 priority fire in state of Calif right now as I
type. That is saying something, seeing how many fires are going right
now.

How am I affected, 40 miles away? The smoke in the air here is
unhealthy, the uncertainty of who of my friends will be evacuated
next. My friend was evacuated last night. He got two carloads out and
wanted to go back in but cannot.

On this day of celebration please hug your loved ones, and be careful
with fireworks and celebrations.

Ginger in CA
Old July 4th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Ginger in CA wrote:
[...]

My prayers go out to you and all who have these fires to contend with.

Fire is one of our most useful assets and scariest forms of energy. An
instant of stupidity with fire can last down many lifetimes. Be careful
out there.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old July 4th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

Keeping in my prayers all affected by the fires.

--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community

Old July 4th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Oh, Ginger, I'm sending up prayers for everybody affected by these terrible
fires and a few special ones for you and your friend(s).

Leslie & The Furbabies in cool, wet, rainy MO. (wish I could send some of my
weather to you)

Old July 4th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

My sister is in Lake Elsinore and is experiencing all kinds of respiratory
issues just from smoke and soot in the air coming in on the winds. I am
keeping all you Californians in my thoughts. #Wish I could send you some
water. It has been raining every day for 3-5 hours for the last 2 weeks.

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old July 4th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Hopefully weather will cooperate and they can keep loss to a minimum.
I am so sorry.
Before the fires hit in '03 so bad I know lots of folks in the San
Bernardino mountain communities had storage units 'down the hill'
where they stored possessions during fire season to keep it safe.
Kind of an awful way to live.
Hugs, Taria

Old July 4th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Ginger,
It is heart wrenching to read/see the devastation in the lovely state of
California. I'll continue to pray for safety of the fire and rescue folks,
the residents, and the critters. Take care and please stay in touch with us.
Hugs, PAT in VA/USA

Old July 4th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carole-Retired and Loving It

Ginger, that's so terrible. I hope you and your family and friends
are able to stay safe! When we had fires last year in southern GA and
northern FL, there were days when it was hard to breathe even here in
north GA because the air was so full of smoke.

Carole D. - Retired and loving it in the foothills of NW Georgia

My quilts, crafts, QIs, and more - http://home.windstream.net/caroledoyle
Old July 4th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

Nothing OT about this. You can't sew if you can't breathe.

Prayers for the area.

Cindy

Old July 4th 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Prayers and rainy thoughts on the way! Parts of AZ are starting to burn,
too. I always dread the fire season. Can't imagine how much worse it is in
California!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

FIRE!! Christina Peterson Beads 9 June 30th 08 07:16 AM
OT Way OT - Fire in the sky Cats Quilting 22 July 22nd 06 03:35 PM
My Visit to the Hometown of Silk Embroidery Silkembroideryman Needlework 1 June 22nd 05 03:32 PM
OT - Fire Beadbimbo Beads 23 August 15th 04 12:52 AM
Fire Eddie Daughton Pottery 0 July 3rd 03 10:14 PM