OT one more new word

Old March 12th 08, 12:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Default OT one more new word

That's the definition I found too, Patti, and is most likely the one that
applies. Although I don't know how it was used, it may have been used more
loosely in context. Polly?

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
and when you get the chance
to sit it out or dance.......

I did read your other answers, Polly!
Interesting to see the definitions given. I have always heard and used it
with a slightly different meaning: fear or intolerance of 'foreigners'. I
just checked in my dictionary, and that is the meaning given there, too.
It does put a slightly different complexion on the word, especially when
used politically.
Words are so fascinating - especially the 'derived from Greek' ones.
.
In message , Polly Esther
writes
You've taught me about bling (yes) and blog (ho-hum). Now we old
folks
need to understand another word. Mississippi has been beseiged, invaded,
insulted and pandered to by presidential candidates. All of you have been
very kind to refrain from mentioning your political positions - for which
we
are so grateful - enough, already, enough. Rctq is not the place.
However -
What does the word zenophobic mean?
I don't even know that I've spelled it right. Could have some x's in
the beginning.
The tv and radio news folks keep using the word and we don't know if
we
need to wash their mouths out with soap or what. Anyone? Polly

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old March 12th 08, 01:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

Not just *your* opinion. This go, it's definitely a case of choosing between
three evils.
*sigh*

We need a quilter to run for prezzie. Ummm ... Butterfly?? Helloooo?? You're
already "going on the road" -- why can't you turn your trip into stumping???

Please??
--
Connie :-)
FREE patterns n' FREE eZine at my blog:

"Kiteflyer" wrote in message
No chance of getting it right this time, as we have 3 losers running.
but that's just my opinion. Back to sewing. : )

Denny in Fort Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/kiteflyer54

/\
/ \
/ \
\ /
\ /
\/
\
\
/
\
\
/
\

jennellh wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophobic This should explain the
meaning(s) of the word, Polly. As for your presidential candidates, I
do hope that this time, you guys get it right )) jennellh

Old March 12th 08, 01:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Election Day here was very strange.
It began while I was applying my new makeup (mineral) and listening to
Rick and Bubba. They were talking about China killing over a half million
cats in preparation for the Olympics.
Then there were exit polls being taken at the voting precincts. These
were certainly voluntary - you only answered questions if you wanted to.
There was great attention placed on racism and xenophobia. They were very
curious about voters' concern with Obama's middle name.
Meanwhile, there was a great deal of speculation about why Spitzer would
need a call girl for two hours.
What a day.
I like the new makeup. Polly

Old March 12th 08, 01:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

Yeesh ... it seems that both sides are bandying that word about these days.
Apparently, every single one of our candidates hate "foreigners" and have
super cruddy foreign policy skills/ideas.

Who to vote for when all of them stink worse than chili and beer toots??

Old March 12th 08, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leigh Harris[_3_]

That's a word that makes many Aussies immediately think, "Please explain" in
a strange accent. Why? A particular politician here was accused of this in
an interview many years ago and she didn't know what it meant either, hence
her reply. She never lived that one down, poor thing, although I suspect
that most of the people joining in the ridicule had no idea what it meant
either. :-) As some have said though, it often means a fear of foreigners or
those different from oneself.

--
Leigh Harris
Perth, Western Australia

"Polly Esther" wrote

Old March 12th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

There are "definitions" and there are implied meanings
resulting from repeated or very public (ie. published)
misuse of words.

As I have seen it used in news papers and political speeches
recently I would interpret it to mean
fear/distrust/suspicion of all things not "us" (in my case
white anglo-saxon Protestant Australian, but it could be
"Americans" with a capital A or any
national/religious/cultural group that fears or distrusts
"outsiders"). It is a term being bandied around by many not
aware of (and perhaps interested in?) the true definition of
the word. It sounds impressive to journalists and
politicians so it becomes overused and takes on (probably
negative) overtones that change the perceived meaning of the
word to listeners/readers.

I am guessing that the use Polly encountered had negative
overtones. But there are many many xenophobic societies
around the world. In fact I cannot think of one anywhere
that does not exhibit some level of xenophobia. In its
mildest form, xenophobia could be no more than a cautious or
defensive response to the unfamiliar. Carried to extreme
levels it can produce genocide, discrimination and
segregation. The fact that a group can accurately be
described as xenophobic does not inherently make it "bad".

I realise that language is a living and everchanging thing,
and that this is supposed to be a good thing. But I cringe
when I see what some people do the the English language
:-((

Don't even get me started on what texting and emails have
done to our written communications! lol

Please note that as a "foreigner" I would not presume to
comment on your elections (snicker quietly perhaps, but
not comment VBG)

OK - off my soap box and back to lurking quietly.

Goodnight all!
--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

Old March 12th 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia Altshuler

A favorite childhood book skipped over the whole A is for apple business
and went straight to the fun stuff. For each letter of the alphabet,
you were given a long, interesting word. A was for antediluvian; B was
for bioluminescence. Then there was a short essay telling where the
word came from, translating the roots, and giving other examples. From
bioluminescence, we were taken to biology and luminary. The
illustration was of a lightening bug. Why be satisfied with C is for
cat and D is for dog when you can have cacaphony and diagnostician? I
don't remember E, but G was gerrymander, and my life has been so much
richer because it had sesquipedalian in it from an early age. I bet you
can see where this is going. X was for Xenophobia. Xenophobia is
supposed to be a bad thing, but can you blame me for liking it when it
stood in such good company?

--Lia

Old March 12th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Oh Lia, how wonderful. Please tell me you had M is for mellifluous.
I just love that word - always have, ever since I first heard it. It is
so like its root (honey) and meaning even in sound. Onomatopoeic, no
less ggg
..
In message , Julia
Altshuler writes

Old March 12th 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia Altshuler

Patti wrote:
Oh Lia, how wonderful. Please tell me you had M is for mellifluous.
I just love that word - always have, ever since I first heard it. It is
so like its root (honey) and meaning even in sound. Onomatopoeic, no
less

Reaching deep in my memory, I think M was for malapropism, but O was for
Onomatopoeia!

We could assemble our own alphabet book of favorite words. M can be for
mellifluous. T should be for tjanting tool.

--Lia

Old March 12th 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

You are abit late, don't you think? I WAS running for Prezzie when Miz
Polly was 'expecting'. My Campaign Manager decided NOT to come to the US to
help me out---so I gave up.

Butterfly (check our archives )

jennellh wrote:
[...]

Word of the Day Bobbie Sews More Quilting 0 May 12th 06 05:28 PM
Word of the Day frood Quilting 17 May 9th 06 11:57 AM
Your Word for the Day 1/19 Karen C - California Needlework 0 January 19th 04 06:45 PM
Your Word for the Day 12/10 Karen C - California Needlework 20 December 19th 03 04:07 PM