I'm ready to give up!!

Old May 17th 04, 04:33 PM
Su/Cutworks

Default I'm ready to give up!!

It's just going downhill too fast for me.

My husband is home for three weeks. Great, you say. We can spend time
together!

Nope. His foot is giving him trouble and he's as much fun as a bear with a
sore nose right now. I've been desperately trying to find information on
the 'net about beadmaking tools and supplies here in the UK, as I figure
that three weeks of him grouching in the boat is going to be the end of our
relationship. Can I find anything?

I've found some wonderful sites with gorgeous beads by UK artists.
Supplies, links to places to buy them? Nope.

It's times like this that it really hits home how much simpler it is to get
crafting and art supplies in the US. There's not a lot I really miss about
the good ol'US of A, but being able to find a kiln or a torch I like and
order it... well, not in the UK. Or at least not easily.

So, please! For my sanity and the safety of our marriage, could one or two
of you wonderful, artistic UK bead artists please share some of the places
you buy your torch or kiln items from?

Pretty please? I've had a day of searching and my head hurts.

-Su

--
My Floating Needle blog at:
http://www.floatingneedle.co.uk

Old May 17th 04, 06:00 PM
Helen Page

Su/Cutworks wrote:
So, please! For my sanity and the safety of our marriage, could one
or two of you wonderful, artistic UK bead artists please share some
of the places you buy your torch or kiln items from?

This is where mum bought my equipment: http://www.hot-glass.co.uk - and I
use small cylinders of MAPP gas from Halfords.

As for kilns, I don't know, but if you do find anywhere I'd like to know!
Have you tried asking UK lampworkers selling annealed beads on ebay?

Old May 17th 04, 07:01 PM
Su/Cutworks

Helen wrote:

This is where mum bought my equipment: http://www.hot-glass.co.uk - and I
use small cylinders of MAPP gas from Halfords.

Thanks. We're waiting till Wednesday so I can call them and ask about using
propane with their kit. As we live on a boat and always have large
canisters of Calor for cooking, using the spare for beads isn't a problem.

As for kilns, I don't know, but if you do find anywhere I'd like to know!
Have you tried asking UK lampworkers selling annealed beads on ebay?

That's my next stop. I've had several responses via email and will chase
them up tomorrow. I'm also planning on calling a few US companies to see if
they have UK dealers. If I find anything I'll post the info and share it.

Please don't get me wrong, I love the UK. I just miss the convenience that
the US has in supplies.

-Su

Old May 17th 04, 07:31 PM
Helen Page

Su/Cutworks wrote:

Please don't get me wrong, I love the UK. I just miss the
convenience that the US has in supplies.

Oh, me too!!!!!

Old May 18th 04, 02:09 AM
Kalera Stratton

Oh, good luck hon! I was just on the phone today with one of my
customers in the UK, she's also a beadmaker and she gets all her
supplies from Arrow Springs. I don't think shipping is toooo horribly long.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old May 18th 04, 09:35 AM
Su/Cutworks

Kalera wrote:

Oh, good luck hon! I was just on the phone today with one of my
customers in the UK, she's also a beadmaker and she gets all her
supplies from Arrow Springs. I don't think shipping is toooo horribly

long.

It's the kiln that's going to be the biggest item, I think. I'm well used
to getting stuff from the US, anything that can go regular post isn't a
problem, and in most cases by air mail isn't too bad. Actually, it's so
cheap to fly to Italy from here that if the husband gets into it in a big
way, he could go over there once a month and bring it back the same day if
he wants glass. The biggest problem is tools and equipment, really.

We'll keep trying. If I can find Skippy Peanut Butter and Reeses' Peanut
Butter cups in the UK, I can find a kiln eventually!

-Su

Old May 18th 04, 12:14 PM
Shirley Shone

I just typed hobby kilns in the search engine and it brought several
hits.
Here is some that may help you.

http://www.tempsfordstainedglass.co.uk

http://www.cromartie.co.uk/kilns.htm

http://www.potterycrafts.co.uk

http://www.kilns.co.uk

This one gave a whole listing about glass.

http://www.bssg.co.uk

Shirley

In message , Su/Cutworks
writes

Old May 18th 04, 01:25 PM
Su/Cutworks

Shirley wrote:
I just typed hobby kilns in the search engine and it brought several
hits.
Here is some that may help you.

Thanks!

I've also been in contact with a place in Stourbridge that will be importing
kilns from the US soon. We were told that a kiln is good but not vital when
you're starting out. A crock pot with vermiculite seems to be a decent
alternative for beginners without being horribly expensive. Fortunately, my
husband is more interested by the day so it looks as if I've found something
to catch his imagination. He's been surfing today getting some more
information and we're waiting on a few catalogues before making the leap.

My thanks to you and everyone who has been so helpful.

-Su

Old May 18th 04, 05:54 PM
starlia

Su,

Not to be nosy or anything but your hubby can cool the beads in vermiculite.
However, the beads won't be annealed until you have kiln. I do wish you the
best in your search.

Starlia

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

Old May 18th 04, 06:03 PM
Kalera Stratton

Maybe you can contact EK Miller? WHen I bought my kiln from them they
were talking about making one for their German customers, so maybe they
have a distributor there?

www.ekmillerco.com

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com