Shocking the employees at Jo-Ann's

Old September 3rd 03, 11:06 PM
CW

It's this kind of thing that drives small businesses under. Then people
complain that they can't get personal service anywhere.
"Charlie" wrote in message
My local fabric shop is run by a bloke, he deals with the machines and the
ladys deal with the fabric and knitting etc! Terribly nice bloke. I feel
bad though, because he took about an hour demonstrating the machine to me,
only for me to buy it cheaper off the net!

Charlie.

"Sarah Dale" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:29:45 +0000, duh who wrote:
And then there's Betzina's books that never deal with men's clothing.
Its such a hard life living with this prejudice. You just get so far,

and
then you hit that muslin ceiling. ;-)

Dwight,

LOL! I know how you feel - perhaps more so (as tailoring is mostly
considered a mans job) as I am a female engineer - I have had this
attitude in the past at work.

You'd like the sewing machine dealers I found last week - run by a bloke
with 2 lady assistants. And he demonstrated one of the machines for me!

Sarah

Old September 3rd 03, 11:07 PM
CW

And are there when you need them.
"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
Charlie wrote:
Yeah, it's a shame, but when theres somewhere else that sells it £200
cheaper, it's not something you can sniff at! The only thing it didn't

come
with were classes.

The reason the store sells them for more is because they take the time
to demonstrate it for you.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

Old September 4th 03, 03:14 AM

((((APPLAUSE)))))

Melinda (who thought that Charlie had originally said that the guy spent
an hour and got confused when she said that the extra money paid for 20
minutes of time wasn't worth it)

Old September 4th 03, 06:37 AM
Valkyrie

Right Melinda, I caught that hour vs. 20 minute glitch in her justification
too.......What I want to know is if there's a problem with this machine or
she needs some up close and personal troubleshooting and problem solving if
she's going to "feel bad" to go down and expect this "terribly nice bloke"
to take care of it? I suggest she save the shipping carton and packing and
put some money aside for phone calls so she can pay the shipping and
insurance back to her "cheaper price" online dealer if she has any problems
or pay for the calls for customer support, if they even offer that, at the
same place she bought this machine.

Val

Old September 4th 03, 06:58 AM
Charlie

It was 20 mins, I said hour by accident. Anyway, the dealer doesn't provide
service - it's provided by Brother warranty for the next 3 or 5 years (I
can't remember) and even if it was it would be no use to me as I've known
I'd be moving since I bought it. I'm sorry if you think I should pay nearly
50% more than I did (obviously people have more money in the US, or less
sense) but that just doesn't happen! I believe in supporting the little guy
when you can, but not when there's so much money at stake. I don't mine
paying a few pence more for a reel of thread or paying the extra pound the
shop charges for a metre of fabric (which is twice what the US pay for their
quilting fabric anyway) but I will not pay a huge amount extra, when it's
mounting into hundreds of pounds. If you think I should, then frankly I
think you're an idiot, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, let's stop discussing this daft issue, I'm going to killfile this
thread and please don't email me privately about it.

Charlie.

Old September 4th 03, 07:54 AM
CW

If you don't intend to do business there fine but don't waste the mans time
if you are just going to go somewhere else. There is a lot more to service
than boxing it up and shipping it off . Of course, you will never know this
as that is what you will be doing. I don't know how many times I have seen
someone have trouble with a machine, take it to their dealer (where they
bought the machine) for warranty work, the dealer sees that it is a simple
problem, fixes it on the spot and the customer is on their way. It sure
beats having it sit for a few weeks in a warranty repair center.

Old September 4th 03, 09:46 AM
Charlie

Except that we were discussing the machine before he told me what the price
was and before I found the deal on the net.

Charlie.

news

Old September 4th 03, 01:54 PM
Two x over

i wonder...
did you go back to the dealer and state..."i can buy it on the 'net for xxxx
price?" oftentimes, dealers will do what they can to get your business.

i just bought a babylock ellure (wanted a bit bigger embroidery field than my
deco, but could not go the price of the TOL machines...) froma local
dealer...what he couldnt make up in price, he did with extra warrenties,
ect....
betsey
"we do not inherit the earth, we caretake it for our children"
Old September 4th 03, 02:08 PM
Pat

I bought my Brother 2002D on the internet for half what the dealer wanted.
They knew that and could not come off the price. They do all sorts of
repair work and are a Brother dealer and assured me they would work on it.

Sorry........USA or anywhere else, $2500.00 TALKS.

Old September 4th 03, 08:40 PM

Charlie wrote:

I'm sorry if you think I should pay nearly
50% more than I did (obviously people have more money in the US, or less
sense) but that just doesn't happen! I believe in supporting the little guy
when you can, but not when there's so much money at stake.

Then I wouldn't ask for their time if I knew that they weren't going to
make a sale, or I would tell them outright that I was not going to buy
from them. But I probably have a hypersensitive conscience on the
matter, more so than a lot of people.

And no, I don't have more money -- I can't afford to buy one of those
machines at all as a single parent raising first-4-and-now-3 children.

mounting into hundreds of pounds. If you think I should, then frankly I
think you're an idiot, but that's just my opinion.

No, I think you were an idi*t. I think you were not considerate of the
salesperson, that's all. But I guess people do that all the time, even
around here.