Looking for a quality ironing board for a gift

Old November 1st 04, 07:29 AM
Zagadka

Default Looking for a quality ironing board for a gift

Greetings,

My sister is an avid quilter, but she is still collecting her
supplies. She has an ironing board that is metal and flexes that she
dislikes. Her birthday is coming up, and I would like to get her a
decent, sturdy board that will last.

I'm looking for both suggestions on specific boards to buy, and
reliable websites to buy from. Her birthday is the 7th, so time is an
issue. I'll also take suggestions on other items.

Either reply here or mail me at (prefer e-mail)

Thanks in advance!

--
Zagadka
Old November 1st 04, 12:03 PM
Roberta Zollner

If you want a sturdy metal board that doesn't flex, I can recommend the
extra-wide Brabantia as a decent mid-price model. Not sure where you are.
Roberta in D

om...

Old November 1st 04, 03:03 PM
teleflora

"Zagadka" wrote in message
om...
Greetings,

My sister is an avid quilter, but she is still collecting her
supplies. She has an ironing board that is metal and flexes that she
dislikes. Her birthday is coming up, and I would like to get her a
decent, sturdy board that will last.

I'm looking for both suggestions on specific boards to buy, and
reliable websites to buy from. Her birthday is the 7th, so time is an
issue. I'll also take suggestions on other items.

Either reply here or mail me at (prefer e-mail)

Thanks in advance!

--
Zagadka

I got a wide one at WalMart that was reasonably priced and really sturdy.
At the same time, I replaced the regular cotton cover with one that they had
that is a shiny blue metallic looking thing. (I always burn the cover that
comes on the board) I really like it. If money had been no object, I would
have gotten the big Martha Stewart one from Kmart.

Lee

Old November 2nd 04, 08:10 AM
shhdesigns

I love the one I got at Ikea, had to put it together but love the fact it
goes really high. I'm 5'11" and find a lot don't go high enough for me.
Got a pretty turquoise cover that goes with it. The base is sort of U
shaped, so you can slip sleeves over for ironing. I just did a search on
www.ikea.com but didn't come up with the same board.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.
Queen of the Travelogues.

Old November 2nd 04, 06:55 PM
Yvonne Stuchell

Have you considered getting a Big Board for your sister?? It is a
flat rectangular covered board that sits on your regular ironing board
(it has a railing on the underside so that it doesn't shift around)
and lets you iron 1/2 yard of fabric at a time. You can find them in
the larger quilt shops or by doing a google search for "big board" and
"quilting". I think they run ~$120.

I made a big board clone for myself using a 2x5 piece of wood and
covering it with batting and a cover, and I don't know how I did
without it.

Just a thought....

Yvonne
=====
Yvonne Stuchell

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Village/8540
Wife/food_scientist/quilter/mom/nurse/cheerleader/housekeeper/gardener/home
remodeler/every role that life demands from us
Old November 4th 04, 02:28 AM
Zagadka

Thanks for all of your replies. Costco was "sold out" and the online
options can't ship in time (for some reason, the good ironing boards
all seem to be European, couldn't find many American vendors for
decent ones)... but I found an good-ish-I-think one at Sam's Club,
going to buy a better cover for it though.

The Big Board option seems really nice, and making one myself would
definitely be an option (provided I don't lose a finger or two in the
process)... but I think she needs something a little more compact,
since she tends to iron in the middle of the living room with the TV.
:-)

If you can think of any other quilter gift ideas, lemme know. Once
again, thanks.

Ironing board fabric? jtsnow Needlework 3 December 6th 04 12:00 PM
HOW RUBBER STAMPS ARE MADE & how i made $$$ - I AM SELLING MY MACHINE AND METAL SHEETS Nintendo DS 4 Sale Rubberstamps 3 November 28th 04 01:28 PM
AD/Request for input - Offering Gift Certificates? Pros and cons... Tinkster Beads 7 November 24th 04 09:18 PM
Squishie Fabric Quality Mika Quilting 21 April 3rd 04 04:18 PM
GREAT B-day gift!! Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Needlework 12 January 8th 04 03:55 AM