Herringbone Stitch Questions

Old January 27th 04, 10:51 PM
Arondelle

Default Herringbone Stitch Questions

I taught myself herringbone stitch, and I've made a neat little tube,
just as a sample. I like the courderoy effect of the ribbing.

However, all I can make is tubes. I can't figure out how to work it
flat (if it can be). How do you make the turn around at the end?

The tubes would make nice necklaces (!), but how would you suggest
finishing off the ends so that I can attach clasps?

Where are the instructions for herringbone hiding?

Arondelle
To email me, empty the pond with a net
Visit Arondelle's Dream Worlds at: http://www.arondelle.com
Read my Blog: http://www.angelfire.com/blog/arondelle/index.html

Old January 28th 04, 12:27 AM
DreamBeadr

Where are the instructions for herringbone hiding?

Arondelle - I am still in the process of proofing these, but have a look
anyhow.
http://www.whimbeads.com/classroom/t...rringbone.html

http://www.whimbeads.com/classroom/f...rringbone.html

I hope they help. And any feedback would be appreciated.

Beki
http://www.whimbeads.com

Old January 28th 04, 02:23 AM
Arondelle

DreamBeadr wrote:

Where are the instructions for herringbone hiding?

Arondelle - I am still in the process of proofing these, but have a look
anyhow.
http://www.whimbeads.com/classroom/t...rringbone.html

http://www.whimbeads.com/classroom/f...rringbone.html

I hope they help. And any feedback would be appreciated.

They're great, Beki. :-)

Does herringbone lend itself to shaping, or does increasing/decreasing
make it look funky?

Aronelle

Old January 28th 04, 04:50 PM
DreamBeadr

Does herringbone lend itself to shaping, or does increasing/decreasing
make it look funky?

No, you can do that with it....it makes some great flowers. And Carole Horn
makes a really neat dragonfly with it.
Here are some links to some Herringbone pieces on the net that are pretty cool:
http://snipurl.com/44um
http://snipurl.com/44up
http://snipurl.com/44us (third photo down has the dragonflies I mentioned)
http://snipurl.com/18hm (this is Wendy Ellsworth's site...when you click on the
jewelry link, it may open a new window in *back* of your current browser...very
odd, but her 2nd, 3rd and 4th pieces in that gallery are great examples of
sculpted Herringbone)
http://snipurl.com/44ux (A kit I am lusting after) Nikia Angels caged Ndebele.

OK...hopefully that will inspire you Arondelle! =o)

Beki
http://www.whimbeads.com
Old January 28th 04, 05:35 PM
Dr. Sooz

http://www.whimbeads.com/classroom/t...rringbone.html

http://www.whimbeads.com/classroom/f...rringbone.html

Going on the Links List (soon)
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old January 28th 04, 05:55 PM
Dr. Sooz

http://snipurl.com/18hm (this is Wendy Ellsworth's site...

Holy freaking KLUNK.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old January 28th 04, 07:52 PM
Arondelle

DreamBeadr wrote:

Here are some links to some Herringbone pieces on the net that are pretty cool:
http://snipurl.com/44um
http://snipurl.com/44up
http://snipurl.com/44us (third photo down has the dragonflies I mentioned)
http://snipurl.com/18hm (this is Wendy Ellsworth's site...when you click on the
jewelry link, it may open a new window in *back* of your current browser...very
odd, but her 2nd, 3rd and 4th pieces in that gallery are great examples of
sculpted Herringbone)
http://snipurl.com/44ux (A kit I am lusting after) Nikia Angels caged Ndebele.

::klunk::

I'm just crazy for Wendy's "Seaforms"! I used to do that sort of thing
in macrame, but they're spectacular in beads!

Old January 29th 04, 02:28 PM
scaperchick

On 28 Jan 2004 00:27:11 GMT, (DreamBeadr) wrote:
http://www.whimbeads.com/classroom/f...rringbone.html

I hope they help. And any feedback would be appreciated.

Oh, that is wonderful! I had been wondering how to make tubular
herringbone twisted. Your instructions and diagrams are very clear
and easy to understand. Many thanks for putting your time into these
instructions!
Old January 29th 04, 04:58 PM
DreamBeadr

I had been wondering how to make tubular
herringbone twisted

Hi Scaperchick -
A recent conversation has also brought out some additional information on
making this stitch twist.
On step 10 in the instructions, if you pass down through two beads, and then up
through 1, and then your step up, your twist should be more pronounced.

Beki
http://www.whimbeads.com
Old January 29th 04, 05:52 PM
Arondelle

DreamBeadr wrote:

On step 10 in the instructions, if you pass down through two beads, and then up
through 1, and then your step up, your twist should be more pronounced.

Can you diagram that? I tried the instructions as written, and my tube
curves, but doesn't twist.

herringbone variation? JM Beads 0 January 19th 04 05:42 PM
Finally learned a new stitch Marissa Undercofler Beads 0 November 2nd 03 04:55 AM
I just learned brick stitch mªdcªt Beads 1 October 13th 03 04:11 AM
AD and dumb questions from a newbie Nathalie Lebreux Beads 7 September 9th 03 09:45 PM
New finished piece & a couple of stringing questions rainbow Beads 0 July 6th 03 09:28 AM