Home again.

Old June 26th 07, 07:29 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cheryl Isaak

Default Home again.

On 6/26/07 1:43 PM, in article , "Pogonip"
wrote:

ellice wrote:
On 6/24/07 12:00 PM, "ravenlynne" wrote:

me wrote:

Errr.. Yes americans certainly do called potted meat, "potted meat"..

Yep. There was always potted meat in our pantry when I was a kid.
Vile stuff..lol

I think that must be a reginoal language idiom. In all the places I've
lived in tha states, never, ever heard canned, processed meat stuff referred
to as Potted Meat. But, I knew what was being referred to because of my
time living in the UK. So, perhaps us New York, DC, even Florida East
Coasters, don't use that phrase. Never heard it in NM, either.

ellice

As a public service, I submit to you:
http://www.pk.org/pottedmeat.html

With a lovely picture of the various potted meat products offered to the
American consumer.

How/why did you find that! more importantly - why did someone think this was
worthy of that much research.

Old June 26th 07, 07:36 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot[_2_]

me wrote:

Errr.. Yes americans certainly do called potted meat, "potted meat"..

Yep. There was always potted meat in our pantry when I was a kid.
Vile stuff..lol

I think that must be a reginoal language idiom. In all the places I've
lived in tha states, never, ever heard canned, processed meat stuff referred
to as Potted Meat. But, I knew what was being referred to because of my
time living in the UK. So, perhaps us New York, DC, even Florida East
Coasters, don't use that phrase. Never heard it in NM, either.

ellice

As a public service, I submit to you:
http://www.pk.org/pottedmeat.html

With a lovely picture of the various potted meat products offered to the
American consumer.

How/why did you find that! more importantly - why did someone think this was
worthy of that much research.

HOW long have you been reading this NG?
Old June 26th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Default OT: SPAM

Alison wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:08:45 -0700, Karen C - California
wrote:

Yep. XH was put on a low-sodium diet, and we discovered that when they
took out the salt, they generally replaced it with fat or sugar, so the
packaged foods that screamed "low sodium" were no healthier overall;
often had more calories than the full-salt version.

That's true. OTOH, the fat and sugar won't raise the blood pressure
if that was the issue.

No, but they'd cause new health issues. At nearly 300 lb, he didn't
need more fat, and was probably on the verge of diabetes.

Obviously, the best solution would have been for him to eat my healthy
made-from-scratch cooking, but he didn't want that. (Given his
druthers, the man would eat a steady diet of deep-fried food.)

--

Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 6/5/07 -- Hinzeit "Best Friends" (thank you, Cheryl!)

WIP: housewarming gift, Dance of the Roses,
Marbek's Bethany Angel
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Farmers Market, Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!

Editor/Proofreader www.KarenMCampbell.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old June 26th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

All things in moderation and lots of veggies.

Yeah, but we're talking about a man whose two favorite veggies are fried
zucchini and French fries.

He didn't particularly like salads, and contended that other veggies
only tasted good in cream sauce or cheese sauce.

Old June 26th 07, 08:15 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Pogonip

wrote:

As a public service, I submit to you:
http://www.pk.org/pottedmeat.html

With a lovely picture of the various potted meat products offered to the
American consumer.

How/why did you find that! more importantly - why did someone think this was
worthy of that much research.

Google is my friend. It was very difficult *wiping sweat from brow* --
I had to type in "potted meat" and press the little button. There were
other pages I could have told you about, like the "potted meat tribute
page." But I exercised restraint.

Google can be your friend, too. In the upper right corner of the
Firefox browser is a search box - where you can search terms on a list
of different sites.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com
Old June 26th 07, 08:16 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Karen C - California

Katherine wrote:

Yepper! Which is why home cooking is better. You can regulate what
goes
into the meal.

Absolutely. But you can't regulate what goes into the husband when he's
not home.

When we first got married, I was puzzled how he could be gaining weight
on what I was feeding him. Then I found out. On his way to work, he
supplemented my healthy breakfast with a 600-calorie muffin slathered
with butter. He topped off the low-cal lunch I packed with a bucket of
the Colonel's finest. After a low-fat dinner, he'd run an errand by way
of either Dunkin Donuts or the ice cream shop.

It's not that I'm a bad cook, it's that I don't cook the way his mother
did (with lots of salt, lots of fried food, gravy on everything) and my
healthy meals made him feel "deprived".

Old June 26th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
"Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net,in
rec.crafts.textiles.needleworkwrote:
and entertained us with

What's a rissle? Google was no help

I think it is probably a rissole - I used to make them for the kids,
mashed spuds and mix in fish, or ground meat etc., make a sausage-like
patty and fry. Fish cakes are basically rissoles for example.

At least, that's what I think is meant.
Those sound good - sort of what my grandmother called dinner fritters.

And what my mother called a make believe potato knish. They were yummy.

Lucille

They are what I feel is a 'user upper' - I can never bring myself to
throw anything out, old war time training, nothing must be wasted.

I think that's why my mother made them. I know she learned from her mother
and my grandmother never threw out anything that could conceivably be called
food. She always found something to use it in, even if it was only a pot of
soup.

Old June 26th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Lucille wrote:

She always found something to use it in, even if it was only a pot of
soup.

Yep. Every couple weeks, I used to clean out my fridge into the
crockpot. If it was green and supposed to be green, into the soup; if
it wasn't supposed to be green, into the trash. And if there was a fair
amount of leftover meat, I put in less water and called the resultant
concoction "stew" instead of soup.

Old June 26th 07, 09:47 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

As a public service, I submit to you:
http://www.pk.org/pottedmeat.html

With a lovely picture of the various potted meat products offered to the
American consumer.

How/why did you find that! more importantly - why did someone think this was
worthy of that much research.

Google is my friend. It was very difficult *wiping sweat from brow* --
I had to type in "potted meat" and press the little button. There were
other pages I could have told you about, like the "potted meat tribute
page." But I exercised restraint.

Google can be your friend, too. In the upper right corner of the
Firefox browser is a search box - where you can search terms on a list
of different sites.

Blowing raspberries your way!