Qsnaps vs. Scroll which is better?

Old February 9th 04, 03:50 AM
morendorff

Default Qsnaps vs. Scroll which is better?

Greetings All,

On a recent trip to Michael's I saw some scroll frames that said no basting.
I am wondering which frames everyone uses
for x stitch? I currently use q snaps but wonder if the scrolls are better.
It seems like sometimes my fabric gets stretched funny.
So I am wondering if I should switch.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Michelle

Old February 9th 04, 05:20 AM
Karen

morendorff wrote:
Greetings All,

On a recent trip to Michael's I saw some scroll frames that said no basting.
I am wondering which frames everyone uses
for x stitch? I currently use q snaps but wonder if the scrolls are better.
It seems like sometimes my fabric gets stretched funny.
So I am wondering if I should switch.

I've never used the no-baste scroll rods. I use the basting ones and pin
my fabric on. I very rarely have any problems with fabric tension. If
that does happen I whip stitch the edges of my fabric around the sides
of the scroll rods. I have tried Q-Snaps and they were not to my liking,
although I do know plenty of people who use and like them. Ultimately
it's a matter of taste. Do you know anyone who has scroll rods you could
borrow for a test run? That would be the best thing.

Karen E., who also stitches in hand.
--
_______________________________________
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example"

Old February 9th 04, 12:07 PM
Bonnie

I use a lap stand which originally came with rods that had the twill tape on
them so I had to baste my fabric onto them. Now there are scroll rods that
fit my stand that have one side of Velcro tape on them . You can purchase a
package of the "other side" of the Velcro which attaches to the edge of your
fabric by an adhesive strip. When you are done you just cut this off.
(It's about 1/2 inch wide.)

I've also used Q-Snaps but only on small projects. And I use wooden hoops
occasionally.

Years ago I had a frame that had the split rods. The fabric end was
inserted in the split and then the side bars tightened down on the ends of
the rod. I did not like it at all.

--
Bonnie

WIPs:
EGA's English Band Sampler ICC
Stitch-n-Zip Patchwork Checkbook Cover
Knitted Cardigan
Knitted Amish Throw

. com...

Old February 9th 04, 12:15 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/9/04 7:07 AM, in article KJKVb.7896$Le3.7491@okepread04, "Bonnie"
wrote:

I use a lap stand which originally came with rods that had the twill tape on
them so I had to baste my fabric onto them. Now there are scroll rods that
fit my stand that have one side of Velcro tape on them . You can purchase a
package of the "other side" of the Velcro which attaches to the edge of your
fabric by an adhesive strip. When you are done you just cut this off.
(It's about 1/2 inch wide.)

I've also used Q-Snaps but only on small projects. And I use wooden hoops
occasionally.

Years ago I had a frame that had the split rods. The fabric end was
inserted in the split and then the side bars tightened down on the ends of
the rod. I did not like it at all.

I have to say - It depends.

I like Q-Snaps for some projects - mostly smaller ones (under 15 inches)

I have several spring hoops - 3-12" diameters - where tension is especially
important.

I also love my scroll bars

Cheryl

Old February 9th 04, 12:17 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: "morendorff"

....... I am wondering which frames everyone uses
for x stitch? I currently use q snaps but wonder if the scrolls are better.

I have different sizes of each of the different types of fabric frames.
Needless to say my absolute favourite is the FANTASTIC StitchAway Fabric Mounts
(
http://www.stitchaway.com). That being said, I use all the different types
of frames for different types of projects.
I like to use the FANTASTIC StitchAway Fabric Mounts on things that I know
will easily fit within the center portion. I have tried working projects that
are longer than the opening and for some reason, I get a bit fumble fingered
when the fabric is really long. Therefore, bellpulls are done on some other
type of frame :-). Most anything else is wonderful done on the StitchAway and
there is NOTHING that can give you the consistent fabric tension that the
StitchAway gives!
On projects where the fabric is really wide, I use my cheap, tacky no sew
scroll rods and curse the entire time. These are the ones where the rod is
split and you slide the fabric into the slit and then put the ends on and
tighten down those wing nuts (horrid little things). Of course, this doesn't
hold the fabric tight enough so I usually pin or stitch the fabric to itself.
I very rarely do stuff this wide so didn't want to invest in expensive rods.
I have various and assorted types and sizes of hoops and I do my waste
canvas in those. Also, little stuff is usually done using either hoops or
Q-Snaps. I will hand baste some scrap fabric (old sheet or the like) and then
use either a hoop or Q-Snap that is large enough to have the needlework fabric
centered. Also, if I am working on something like a round robin (a piece that
belongs to someone else) then I always use the appropriately sized Q-Snaps
because they don't leave marks.
When I do model stitching I always use my scroll rods with very short side
pieces. This way I keep most of the fabric rolled up and can be sure it will
stay clean and not attract lots of kitty hairs. Long narrow things, like bell
pull are also always done on scroll rods because of the shape of them.
One thing I do regardless of what type of frame I use is to make sure my
fabric is on grain. I will cut off any excess, wonky ends to square them up.
That way, I can be sure that my fabric is mounted straight in the frame. Doing
this is a *must* when using the FANTASTIC StitchAway Fabric Mount as you need
to get the white retaining bar thingie set along a line of holes in the fabric.

So -- bottom line for MOI is that I don't think one type of frame is better
than another. Some are more appropriate for a specific task than others but
not inherently better :-))! I will say that the "No Sew" rods like the ones I
have (with the split dowel rod) are barely worth the cost!!! If you have the
ones with the velcro they are OK but you still have to sew the velcro to the
fabric. The split rod types just don't hold the fabric tight enough and you
will *still* need to mess with it! If you want to try some sort of scroll rod
and you don't mind messing with the fabric and you are on a tight budget, then
go ahead and give them a try. They are cheap (this is certanly a case of
getting what you pay for) but they would give you some idea as to whether or
not you like using scroll rods. If you tried them and liked them, I can
guarantee you would LOVE having a decent set of good scroll rods -- without
those nasty wing nuts :-)! CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old February 9th 04, 01:59 PM
Lin706

I will say that the "No Sew" rods like the ones I
have (with the split dowel rod) are barely worth the cost!!! If you have the
ones with the velcro they are OK but you still have to sew the velcro to the
fabric.

The ones I have with velcro have sticky tape, so there is no sewing. You need
to cut away the velcro strip when done, so be sure to have the extra fabric for
this in addition to the extra you want for framing.

Linda

Old February 9th 04, 05:00 PM
Ellice

On 2/8/04 10:50 PM,"morendorff" posted:

Greetings All,

On a recent trip to Michael's I saw some scroll frames that said no basting.
I am wondering which frames everyone uses
for x stitch? I currently use q snaps but wonder if the scrolls are better.
It seems like sometimes my fabric gets stretched funny.
So I am wondering if I should switch.

I love my q-snaps. I use scroll frames for pieces that are very large, and
would be awkward, have too much extra in Q-snaps. I've never had a problem
with the Q-snaps - are you pulling your fabric too tight? For cross stitch
it shouldn't be pulled tight like a drum-head. It's much tighter for canvas,
or for punchneedle.

I use stretcher bars, or scroll frames for canvas work.

You can always try a piece on scrolls, and see if you like it. Personally, I
prefer using the Q-snaps, especially if I'm carting the piece around. Easier
to take off the frame if I want to, or move to another section, and lighter.
But I'm happy with long-term or large pieces on the scrolls - and working on
a stand. The Q-snaps I find more comfortable if not using a stand (lap frame
or floor-stand) - as compared with holding a scroll frame in hand.

Ellice

Old February 9th 04, 05:51 PM
Kristy Malarkey

I have a grip it sit on frame that I really like for larger projects, and I
stitch the smaller ones in hand. I used to use hoops, but it takes me so
long to finish a project and I was having a difficult time getting the hoop
marks out.

Kristy

Old February 9th 04, 09:53 PM
CowieLuv

Years ago I had a frame that had the split rods. The fabric end was
inserted in the split and then the side bars tightened down on the ends of
the rod. I did not like it at all.

Have tried those as well, and hated them! Using qsnaps for the moment.

cowie
Old February 10th 04, 01:18 AM
Rhea

I have always used scrolls. They just feel better in my hand than the other
frames such as Qsnaps or hoops.

Greetings All,

On a recent trip to Michael's I saw some scroll frames that said no basting.
I am wondering which frames everyone uses
for x stitch? I currently use q snaps but wonder if the scrolls are better.
It seems like sometimes my fabric gets stretched funny.
So I am wondering if I should switch.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Michelle

Rhea from KY, USA

Scroll saw Christina Peterson Beads 2 February 22nd 04 01:07 PM
Scroll Frame Rods Sylvia Blanchard Needlework 4 September 28th 03 06:47 PM
FireHouse Angel Daily 9-13-03 - scroll rods Felice Friese Needlework 1 September 14th 03 02:40 PM
Scroll Rod Wars? Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 0 September 13th 03 09:23 PM
Scroll Frame Question Sorceress Needlework 4 August 22nd 03 01:10 PM