Aurifil vs Mettler thread

Old August 29th 12, 08:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default Aurifil vs Mettler thread

I know that Aurifil is two-ply ve Mettler's three-ply.

But in practical terms, what happens when I sew, what are the differences between the two threads?

And then, if there is improvement, is it worth the extra cost for you?

Thanks!
Old August 29th 12, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

I bought some Mettler fairly recently, when I couldn't get hold of
Aurifil in a hurry. It looked great (nice sheen); but when I was sewing
for many hours, and sometimes through several layers, I found the
Mettler thread was breaking. This might have been because I have not
put Aurifil through quite such a harsh 'test', but I have never had
Aurifil thread break. Also, because the thread is fine, the length on
the spool is much longer than usual - my spools last for ages (but I
don't do a large amount of sewing consistently). I make Aurifil my
regular thread.
..
In message ,
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old August 30th 12, 12:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I'm with Pat. I have some Mettler here but only use it for delicate baby
stitching. Almost always I use Aurifil. However, if I need to use plain old
Coats & Clark because I need a special color, that works okay. I think we
like Aurifil mostly because it doesn't do fluff and fuzzy as much as other
threads. Polly

"Pat S" wrote in message
news
I bought some Mettler fairly recently, when I couldn't get hold of Aurifil
in a hurry. It looked great (nice sheen); but when I was sewing for many
hours, and sometimes through several layers, I found the Mettler thread was
breaking. This might have been because I have not put Aurifil through
quite such a harsh 'test', but I have never had Aurifil thread break.
Also, because the thread is fine, the length on the spool is much longer
than usual - my spools last for ages (but I don't do a large amount of
sewing consistently). I make Aurifil my regular thread.
.
In message ,
writes

Old August 30th 12, 02:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Thank you all!

Those are good reasons.

and I do need to calculate!
Old August 30th 12, 04:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

We buy Aurifil (mostly) from carmenwarehouse.com. Their website takes some
patience to see what they have but worth the time for half-price. They
hardly ever have black or white but their other colors such as whale work
very well with lots of quilts. One time, all they had was a yellow that
would curdle milk but we got where we actually enjoyed using it. Polly

wrote in message
Thank you all!

Those are good reasons.

and I do need to calculate!

Old August 30th 12, 12:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Thread takes up space. So when you use a thicker thread, you lose a
teensy bit more space in the seam. A finer thread gives a flatter
seam. Of course this makes little to no difference when sewing bulkier
fabrics into clothing. But for precision patchwork, these small
differences quickly add up. As for quality, I have used both with no
problem. Some machines seem to prefer one over another -my previous
Husqvarna machine was definitely a Mettler lover. The current Pfaff
likes Aurifil.
Roberta in D

Old August 30th 12, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

I use a Bernina, and one reason I'm considering switching is that my local dealer has fallen in love with Aurifil. And I trust them.

I can't use Vardani[sp?] at all; it breaks all the time.

Thanks for answering!
Old August 30th 12, 04:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

I'll go look. And thanks!

Old August 30th 12, 04:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I tried Valdani that I bought on sale- it had quite the write-up, so I took a chance and ordered it. YUCK! It had knots where two ends had been tied (!!!) together to fill the spool, broke every few inches and had a TON of lint. I'd even use C&C over Valdani- any day. grrr!

Leslie & The Furbabies in beautiful warm, sunny MO.... for now! ;-)

Old August 30th 12, 09:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

I use Aurifil too. It sews well, there's little lint, and I can get WAY
more on a bobbin!

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu
"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
I tried Valdani that I bought on sale- it had quite the write-up, so I took
a chance and ordered it. YUCK! It had knots where two ends had been
tied (!!!) together to fill the spool, broke every few inches and had a TON
of lint. I'd even use C&C over Valdani- any day. grrr!

Leslie & The Furbabies in beautiful warm, sunny MO.... for now! ;-)

On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:32:52 PM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
I know that Aurifil is two-ply ve Mettler's three-ply. But in practical
terms, what happens when I sew, what are the differences between the two
threads? And then, if there is improvement, is it worth the extra cost for
you? Thanks!

buying Mettler thread online Martha[_6_] Quilting 4 September 12th 10 11:25 PM
Mettler Thread marsha Quilting 5 May 9th 07 02:12 AM
Aurifil thread ? Kellie J. Berger Quilting 7 September 29th 05 04:30 AM
Aurifil Thread Charlotte Hippen Quilting 3 June 3rd 05 04:13 AM
Mettler Thread ? dqlts Quilting 6 July 18th 04 01:51 PM