dead sewing machine : (

Old April 8th 12, 03:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default dead sewing machine : (

Well, the hated (around here) janome 6600 contoller died again. A spring
inside broke. We'll try to
find a new spring but short of that I am thinking seriously thinking it is
time to let this thing go. New
controller somewhere around $100 and I just don't enjoy this hulk even that
much. Maybe trade in time.
Anyone have any luck with a similar type machine that is a different mfg.?
I'd like something with a
larger harp that will do a buttonhole machine applique stitch and
mechanical. I don't have much idea what is even
available right now. I wanted and lusted after this machine for over a year
when I finally bought it and
I still can't believe how it just isn't for me. : (
Taria

Old April 8th 12, 04:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Poor baby. Really. I don't know if you and Janome are not a good match or
if your own Janome is a bummer. I do know that your sewing time should be
happy. Creative. Relaxing. Challenging. Fun. Not aggravating - and I'm
sure you've tried your very best with that sm.
As much as it pains me to confess it - 'some' of the Berninas are now
made in Thailand and I see heaps of kicking and cussing going on about them.
My friends with new Vikings aren't all that deliriously happy either.
An insane suggestion: maybe you'll want to consider stepping back a few
decades and play with a fine old Singer. A 401? Maybe a Pfaff 730 ( is
that the 'good' number?). There's something that will make you happy as a
clam. We will help. Polly

Old April 8th 12, 05:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterfly-Wings

Playing Taps.

Sorry you are disappointed. Is it worth the aggravation to try to fix it?

keep us posted

Butterfly

Old April 8th 12, 05:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Dang, I've loved my 6600. But if we all loved the same sm, then it'd be a pretty boring world. I don't know what's out there with a large harp, but I do know that I also love my Pfaff. There is a new Pfaff with a large harp. Obviously, it's computerized (as is everything these days). Babylock puts out a good straight stitch with a larger harp, but that won't do the buttonhole stitch. I think the best idea is to test drive a lot of machines and narrow it down to two or three you really like, and then rent each of those models (if possible) for at least a month. That would give you time to get to know the good and bad of each model and find a good fit for you.

Happier sewing,
Sunny
Old April 8th 12, 05:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I can answer for All of us. NO. It is not. If Taria's sm is bent on
persecuting her, it's time to say "No more" and move on. ( I didn't know
you could play taps; any other tunes?) Polly

Old April 9th 12, 05:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

Sorry to hear about your machine problems, Taria...and can certainly
relate to the frustration.

I have a Babylock Quest Plus which is very similar in size and
features to the MC6600. The model was updated last year to the
Babylock Serenade.

Love mine; I lusted after it for two years and found a used one at a
great price. I especially love it for free motion quilting because of
the large opening.

-Irene

Old April 9th 12, 06:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterfly-Wings

Yes'm. Any and everything that is on a CD, tape, Record (78's, yes, the ones
we grew up with--don't have any 45's at present) and radio. I'm quite good
at the On/Off dial on all the above

Butterfly (calling it quite for tonight)

Old April 10th 12, 12:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

I, too, have the Babylock Quest. I purchased it after trying many machines,
and after much thought. A couple years after I bought it, it had a
"computer problem"; well, it sewed all by itself!! That might be a good
thing, but I had to turn off the machine to get it to stop! When it was
repaired, they upgraded the software to the Babylock Quest Plus, and I love
it! So many more people bought the 6600 at about the same time. I always
wondered if I made a poor choice. But, I did want a free-arm machine, and
all the feet were included.....no extra expenses! I use it every day, and
clean it myself....I'd definitely recommend trying one if you can. I see
there are a few on Ebay right now.

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Old April 10th 12, 12:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Gen, what do you so on that you like? Heck, anyone willing
to give me some things they like about newer model machines?
I'd like to hear the good and bad on specific models.
Taria

Old sewing machine question .. EMDEKO machine NE Sailboat Sewing 1 January 18th 07 06:39 PM
Is ths a good deal? Grace Quilting Sewing Frame +Janome 1600 Sewing Machine bobbi Quilting 12 December 8th 06 09:18 PM
Value for used sewing machine Gemini Sewing 1 June 29th 05 08:08 PM
My machine is a bit dead.... Johanna Gibson Quilting 64 March 29th 04 07:14 PM
Dead Machine Revived [email protected] Sewing 11 March 2nd 04 09:55 PM