?'s on BoroSilicate Fusing temps

Old April 4th 06, 07:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default ?'s on BoroSilicate Fusing temps

Newbee to group here.
Have been fusing with COE 90 and 96 for about 2 years, and some
beading.
No experience with BoroSilicate, unitl I couldn't resist a EBAY item
with scrap dichroic Boro and a lot of circular patterned Boro.
Web info I've located says that Boro should fuse at 1500F.
However, I've tried, checked, and then ramped all the way to 1900F,
with minimal fusing. That's about as far as I want to push my kiln to.
A friend did some beadwork with Boro (nearly going blind - wrong
filters), and said it took forever with his regular torch.
Local retail glass suppliers don't sell Boro for this reason, they
said it took hotter torches, but couldn't recommend fusing temps or
schedules.
Anybody out there kiln fusing BoroSilicate? What's the trick?
Thanks in advance -
RBClark

Old April 4th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

RBClark wrote:
[...]

Can't remember the exact temp we used but it devitrifies badly.

--
Jack

bobo1148atxmissiondotcom

http://www.glassartguild.com/gallery/jack_bowman
Old April 5th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default ?'s on BoroSilicate Fusing temps : Got the temps

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 00:21:28 -0700, "Emmett"
wrote:

Boro doesn't fuse as soft glass does, Contact henry @
http://www.glassalchemyarts.com/ he's got some info for you.

Thanks!! Checked it out, and "ourch". Working temp is around 2200F.
Starts deforming at 1500F.
Too much for my little kiln. I have a bigger one that I have to check
the high end rating for.
Might just have some Boro to sell...live and learn.

.. .