Where can I buy cerium oxide glass polishing powder?

Old July 25th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Beveled Glass Arts

Default Where can I buy cerium oxide glass polishing powder?

Mike,

Greetings from the future! Although the last posting to this thread
was in 2004 I thought I would share some of my own experiences
regarding polishing powder for hand beveled glass with other bevelers
who may have similar questions and will more then likely come across
this discussion when they do a search on this subject. In 1979 one of
the glass shops where I was working as a beveler, we used Rareox 90 on
a Somaca polishing machine with a 24" X 3" medium hard woolfelt ring
with good results. We got the polishing powder from Sommer & Maca.
After a short stint with this company I went on my own supplying
stained glass shops in the Salt Lake City area with custom beveled
glass. I used Rareox 90 for a couple of years thinking I was using
some really good polishing powder and compared to Rareox 45 it was.
One day I was speaking to a sales rep from Salem Distributing located
in North Carolina. He told me about Cerox 1670 and that it was
specifically made for hand polishing of beveled glass. I tried some
and couldn't believe the difference. It wasn't just a small
difference, it was like night and day. I've been using it ever since.
Over the years I've tried many different polishing powders but nothing
even comes close. Salem Distributing's Quest 90 also does a good job
and is much less expensive then Cerox 1670. Get samples from Salem and
see what you think.

Cheers, Timothy Trent
Beveled Glass Arts
http://www.beveledglassarts.com

Old July 25th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
nJb

Beveled Glass Arts wrote:
[...]

Are you still in the SLC area?

Jack
Old July 26th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Beveled Glass Arts

On Jul 25, 4:59 pm, nJb wrote:
Beveled Glass Arts wrote:
[...]

Jack,

I've moved around some since then, spent about four years in
Vancouver, Washington, moved back to Utah in 1999 and am now residing
Orem, Utah.

Old July 27th 07, 07:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
nJb

Beveled Glass Arts wrote:
On Jul 25, 4:59 pm, nJb wrote:

Beveled Glass Arts wrote:

[...]

Just wondering if you know Dan Cummings. he mentioned a beveler down
your way.

http://www.glassartguild.com/gallery/dan-cummings

Jack
Old July 27th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Beveled Glass Arts

On Jul 27, 12:20 am, nJb wrote:
Beveled Glass Arts wrote:
On Jul 25, 4:59 pm, nJb wrote:

Beveled Glass Arts wrote:

[...]

Of course I know Dan, He used to work at Creative Glass in SLC when
Ben Benedict owned it. Creative Glass and William R. Littig Stained
Glass were one of my first customers starting in 1979. Shortly after I
took on Creative as a customer Dan started working with them and
somewhere around 1985 went on his own. He's done some of the most
impressive sand carving I've ever seen, anywhere!

Old July 27th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
nJb

Beveled Glass Arts wrote:
On Jul 27, 12:20 am, nJb wrote:

Beveled Glass Arts wrote:

On Jul 25, 4:59 pm, nJb wrote:

Beveled Glass Arts wrote:

[...]

He formed Spectrum Studio. I've been with him for a few years now. Still
doing cutting edge carvings.

Jack
Old July 28th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
michele

Can you snail mail me a biz card and/or pricing guide for my file? i have a
prospective bevelling job?thanks, m PO box 1687 mt pleasant sc 29465
"

Old July 30th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Beveled Glass Arts

On Jul 27, 9:55 am, nJb wrote:
Beveled Glass Arts wrote:
On Jul 27, 12:20 am, nJb wrote:

Beveled Glass Arts wrote:

On Jul 25, 4:59 pm, nJb wrote:

Beveled Glass Arts wrote:

[...]

Jack- Hide quoted text -

Jack,

I remember the exodus from Creative Glass when Dan and Ben's brother
George started Spectrum Studios. They invited me to rent out a space
there but I was comfortable with my then current location. One of the
times I visited, Jan Smith had rented out a space and had a Lange
beveling setup that he got (or was that stole) from Clifford Funk in
Park City. He never did anything with it and later moved to Arizona. I
talked to Jan a few years ago about buying the setup but he wasn't
intrested in selling. As far as I know he's never done anything with
the setup, it's always been in storage except for the brief time it
was setup at Spectrum. And as for Clifford Funk he's still doing
glass. Did some beveling for him a few months ago on 6MM GNA. Very
Cool. So are you renting out a space there or working directly with
Dan? What kind of glass are you doing. Tell Dan hello.

Old July 30th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Beveled Glass Arts

On Jul 27, 5:47 pm, "michele" wrote:
Can you snail mail me a biz card and/or pricing guide for my file? i have a
prospective bevelling job?thanks, m PO box 1687 mt pleasant sc 29465
"

Beveled Glass Arts wrote:- Hide quoted text -

Michele,

Probably the best thing to do would be to email me
( ) a thumbnail scetch or scaled drawing of
what you have in mind and we can go from there.

Old August 5th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
nJb

Beveled Glass Arts wrote:
On Jul 27, 9:55 am, nJb wrote:

Beveled Glass Arts wrote:

On Jul 27, 12:20 am, nJb wrote:

Beveled Glass Arts wrote:

On Jul 25, 4:59 pm, nJb wrote:

Beveled Glass Arts wrote:

[...]

Dan And I work a bit together but mostly doing our own. He's getting
into fusing a bit lately so I guide him along some. Dan had mentioned
somebody down your way and indeed it was you.

http://www.glasterpiece.com