Got me a treadle!

Old August 21st 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default Got me a treadle!

Picture of restored treadle: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...58679714BuFEyT

Old August 21st 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On Aug 21, 12:36 pm, wrote:
Picture of restored treadle: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...58679714BuFEyT

You are going to love your treadle once you start using it. And
"free" is a really good price. I paid $30 for mine on eBay and picked
it up locally. Cleaned it up, adjusted the tension, added a new belt
and it sews beautifully, once I get my feet pumping correctly. LOL
It takes a bit of practice and concentration at first. Have fun!
Susan

Old August 21st 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carol S.

Folks:

I'm getting a little envious of all of you with treadle machines. My 40
yr. old White Elec. Sewing Machine head was picked up today & is in the
shop for repairs that may cost me $250.00. I've been told more than
once that I have a very good machine. It certainly is heavy lifting the
head into position in its cabinet. They don't make them like this
anymore & that is why I decided to have it repaired instead of buying a
current portable machine.

When my mother-in-law passed away, we gave her Singer Treadle to our
son, so at least it is still in the famly. He doesn't use it, but is
proud of it.

My bar-tacking of 3,000 plus fabric yo-yos into a bed coverlet kind of
led to the demise (temporarily) of my White machine. And I wasn't even
half-finished with the assembly! Oh, well ... I will finish the project
eventually. I'll move on to some decoupage & painting on a small table
to tide me over.

Take care, friends.

Carol S.

Old August 21st 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

That's a beauty!
Good on you!

Here's the one Judy/RedQueen gave me:

(I found that the new belt helps, a bunch. g)

Cheers!
R/Sandy

On 8/21/07 12:36 PM, in article
,

Old August 22nd 07, 06:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Default People powered machines [was Got me a treadle!]

Thanks to all of you who posted on this thread. Dang it, if I could
just win the lottery so there would be enough time to do all the
projects in my mind......

Ginger in CA
definitley gonna look into changing one of my machines into a hand-
crank. I recall someone here showing a picture of sitting out under
the trees, camping, using their handcrank....

On Aug 20, 2:59 pm, IMS wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:37:08 -0000, Ginger in CA
wrote:

Yeah! And I got my treadle named Maria a couple of weeks ago. She need
some clean-up, and her oak finish may need some replacing in places,
but she is a beauty!

Question on hand-cranks. I have several old machines, like a 66-15 and
15-91, and would like to find out where to go to get one of them
changed to a hand-crank. I think. Does anyone use a handcrank? How do
you manage with only one hand to handle the fabric?

Thanks in advance. and congratulations Sue on your new-to-you treadle!

Ginger in CA

I use my handcrank when the power goes out; when it went out for three
days earlier this year I was thankful I had it! The only thing I did
realize I missed is reverse...the 99 does not have reverse...so I may
move the crank setup to a 201-3 or 15-91 both of which have external
motors and reverse.

It's very easy to handle the fabric because you naturally have to go
slower.

And, it's easy to do the conversion, too. All that is needed is the
raised motor boss mount hole (a machine with a threaded hole where the
motor bracket is hooked to) - a crank - and a spoked wheel. This what I
did to my 99 that had brittle wiring but was otherwise in great shape.

I purchased an original Singer hand crank from Glenn Williams - about
$30 because I wanted 'real' parts not reproduction,

http://www.sewalot.com/sewing_machine_link_page.htm

...and I took a spoked wheel off of a $5 machine I picked up at the
thrift and then removed the wires and motor off the 99 -- which was
*free* 99 (it had toasted wires which is why it was free) two years ago.
It works great.

Here's my machine:http://tinyurl.com/3yrp2s

Here's more on the how'to:

http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...onverting.html

-Irene
-------------
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."
- Mae West

Old August 22nd 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Was that MArti? SHe moved to Oregon and dissappered. I have a lot of
older machines around here but bellieve it or not no hand cranks.
My treadle has the computer sitting on it. Now that is wrong.
Glad Maria has found her new home with you.
Taria

Old August 22nd 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
- dlm.

So glad that your new Singer treadle SM found herself a new home...and on
her birthday, no less. Congrats to you both! VBG

- dlm. in central MA

Old August 24th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Ginger, Congrats on the arrival of Maria at your home.
I am pretty sure that Kate Dicey owns and uses a hand
crank SM, so check with Kate.
PAT in VA/USA

Old August 29th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Ginger in CA wrote:

Question on hand-cranks. I have several old machines, like a 66-15 and
15-91, and would like to find out where to go to get one of them
changed to a hand-crank. I think. Does anyone use a handcrank? How do
you manage with only one hand to handle the fabric?

My boys do it as team work! One turns the handle and the other steers
the material. It works ..... mostly. They successfully made a ragged
denim quilt for their dad with it.

Lizzy

Old August 29th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Oh, how lovely! Good for them (and you, for letting them!)
..
In message , Lizzy Taylor
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

My new treadle Kathy Applebaum Quilting 8 November 5th 04 07:30 PM
My new treadle Piper Quilting 8 March 24th 04 07:08 PM
New Treadle for me, too! frood Quilting 8 December 29th 03 12:15 AM
Treadle pix Kate Dicey Quilting 7 August 12th 03 03:52 AM
Treadle pix Kate Dicey Sewing 2 August 8th 03 03:54 PM