Shaky hands

Old July 8th 08, 01:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_4_]

Default Shaky hands

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 02:40:55 -0400, Debra
wrote:

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 16:41:52 -0700 (PDT), Sunny
wrote:

I'm working on some piecing that actually requires a bit of finesse
and my hands shake. I suspect I'm not the only one on this board with
hand shakes ..... but I am frustrated with it. Does anybody have
tricks, suggestions or advice for minimizing the problems caused by
shaking hands when piecing? I'm already using my single hole plate and
foot. It helps. But .....

Advice??

Sunny

Elmer's glue stick, place it along the seam and glue the fabric
pieces together, then sew as slowly as you need to. It will wash out
when you wash the quilt the first time.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/designsbydeb/

Funny you should mention that. I've got arthritis in my hands and
just started using Elmer's school glue to hold seams. The school glue
is water soluable. In fact, I just finished a quilt using Sharon
Shamber's gluing method for the binding and have the best binding I've
ever done. (The video for how to do this is on her web site.)

Sharon sufferes form hand tremors and has (out of necessity) devised
some ingenious ways to quilt and sew; she just won won The Best
Longarm award at AQS in Paducah this year so I guess she's something
of an expert desipte the problem.

Needless to say I'm binding my quilts this way from now on. No pins
and no pain! She has some books and videos out for many other
techniques (such as her method for applique) and I think I'll ask for
some of those for my Birthday!

-Irene
Old July 8th 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

wrote:

[...]

I've been glue sticking my applique pieces in place for a couple of
years mostly to avoid being stuck by pins while sewing, but then one
day I had no choice but to glue stick a straight seam that was four
yards long. It was a border print and I needed 4 lengths from it,
unfortunately the selvages ran the length of the "center" of one of
the borders I wanted to cut from it. There were three intact strips
bracketed by two half strips. The only way to get a fourth length was
to take the two selvages, trim off the actual selvage, line up the
print carefully, and sew one continuous seam. I tried pinning, but
could not get the print perfectly lined up. I tried a few different
methods to line up the seam with dismal results. Then the light bulb
moment. I folded one strip along the seam line so I could actually
see what I was doing and I used a glue stick to position, and
reposition the fabric in place along the seam line, three inches at a
time. The results were fantastic! It more than meets the galloping
horse test along the whole 4 yard length! Since then I have glued a
lot of seams and it always works like a charm. My favorite glue is
the Elmer's glue stick that goes on purple and dries clear because it
is less messy for me, but shaky or weak hands might be better off with
the original liquid.

Old July 8th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Thanks, Irene.
You may have done a number of us a huge favor by sharing this. I shall go
take a look/see. I do remember signing up for her e-mails when she first
started. Got ONE email from them saying welcome, one that said they were
having problems and nuttin else.
Promises of a 'free' demo or online CD (Maybe like you-tube?) or whatever,
never came thru, as they had 'more problems' with their site...and that was
that.

Anyone get any further with her site than I?
Butterfly

Old July 8th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Butterfly, if you search youtube for 'quilting' you'll get all kinds of
informational films- including some of Sharon's plus many others. Some are
very good, some mediocre and some are rather sad and silly. But you can
pick and choose and you'll know within seconds if it's going to be worth
watching or not. Sharon's site went to a paid membership about a year ago
but I think there's still a few freebies on there- kinda teasers??? If you
search around there's a LOT of free info out there! Good luck with finding
The Good Stuff.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old July 8th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_4_]

Butterfly,

Below is the link I used. She does have videos on YouTube as well.
The video "Binding the Angel" is the one on attaching binding. As a
bonus (in addtion to no pins/nopain and a perfectly flat binding) I
also have nicely metered corners using this method - the first ones
ever

http://sharonschambernetwork.com/free_area/free.html

-Irene

Old July 8th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Thanks : )
No wonder it got 'quiet'. I knew they planned on 'selling' but I was under
the impression that those of us that signed up to "test' for her would have
that ONE trial freebie.

Butterfly (Thanks for the further info...I'll look while I'm waiting for the
CCCookies to come outta the oven. here. I'll send the first one off to you:
Can't remember the last time I made or even wanted to make them))

Old July 9th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_4_]

You'll have better luck he

http://sharonschambernetwork.com/free_area/free.html

Just put your cursor over the screen and click on the 'forward' button
to start the video.

-Irene

Old July 13th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dragonfly

And this is the perfect time of year to stock up on all those "sewing"
supplies like school glue, binder clips, etc....the "back to school" sales
have started! Ran into some half-full bins of cheap back to school stuff at
WalMart the other day.

"Back to school" is the *only* time to buy quilting and office supplies for
the home! ;-)

Dragonfly

Old July 14th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 15:03:51 -0600, "Dragonfly"
wrote:

And this is the perfect time of year to stock up on all those "sewing"
supplies like school glue, binder clips, etc....the "back to school" sales
have started! Ran into some half-full bins of cheap back to school stuff at
WalMart the other day.

"Back to school" is the *only* time to buy quilting and office supplies for
the home! ;-)

Dragonfly

That's when I buy mine!
Debra in VA
See my quilts at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/designsbydeb/

Look Ma! No hands Polly Esther[_2_] Quilting 97 January 16th 08 02:40 PM
hands michele Glass 9 November 15th 07 08:39 PM
Dry Hands/Fingers Margie Beads 70 October 6th 04 08:26 AM
OT Whose hands are these? Marisa Cappetta Beads 27 June 7th 04 12:38 PM
The how to of Hands of RCTQ Diana Curtis Quilting 5 December 21st 03 07:29 AM