OT Allergy update

Old March 17th 04, 06:23 PM
Debra

Default OT Allergy update

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:42:00 GMT, Jan
wrote:

I just wanted to take a minute and thank everyone so much for thier
support. Yesterday I think we found the last of Jessica's major allergy
problems. Dish detergent. We had switched at the sink around Dec and
in the last 3 weeks at the dishwasher to a combo cleaner that contained
the same detergent. It leached into the plastic cups, her medicine
droppers, etc. Unfortunately I didn't catch it in time and she has
escalated to the point of fumes in stores popping her, but I'm hoping
that in time, and less exposure, she'll bounce back from that.

A special thanks to our MCS quilting friends who gave me support
yesterday in finding safe substitutes and procedures for both me & Jess.

It's been a tough road, but I'm feeling confident now that we are on our
way back. Thanks for all you support and prayers. Hopefully in a couple
of more weeks, things will look a little brighter. :-)

Good for you for finding the dish detergent as a culprit. It's so
easy to overlook something so simple. Sorry the read even the
fragrance is causing her problems now though. What brands were you
using?

Oddly enough, my question has a reason. I've got a cat who's gums get
inflamed (violently red and swollen) if I use Dawn to wash the plastic
cat food spoon. Dawn leaves some sort of residue on dishes in spite
of repeated rinsing with fresh water. It took nearly 2 months to find
the problem, several trips to the vet for medicine. The vet still
doesn't believe it was the detergent in spite of me taking a chance
and using the stuff again to test for possible allergy results. The
results were obvious to me--use Dawn and she has mouth problems, no
Dawn and no problems. I'm using the rest of the Dawn for oil removal
in the laundry.

Debra in VA
Old March 18th 04, 02:17 AM
Dr. Quilter

I really like the detergent we use before, but my mom got a bottle of an
orangy smelling one and Sofia will not touch things washed with that
since the smell lingers, so we had to go to the PCC and get an 'organic'
detergent.. no smell or colour.. I am planning on using it for her stuff
only, it should last a long time!

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old March 19th 04, 01:54 AM
Neeej

so we had to go to the PCC and get an 'organic'
detergent..

Though that isn't necessarily better---one of those gave me some of the worst
itchies ever, till I figured out what the problem was & went back to my old
detergent (& rewashed everything that even might have met the "wonderful new"
one)
-- Jean S
Old March 19th 04, 06:09 PM
Dr. Quilter

in my case it is not an allergy problem, but new DH did not like the
smell (and taste maybe) it left on the nipple shields...