OT Humour - Written & Spoken English

Old May 7th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Default OT Humour - Written & Spoken English

Whoa! I'm not sure what part of Iowa that would be! I've always heard that
pronounced as "spat chu la"

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Donna Aten" wrote in message
Yes, it's pronounced crick here in Idaho. One of the hardest things for
me to get used to - we always called those things that run along thw side
of the road ditches - in Idaho they're called borrow pits!

For many years I worked with a lady (while I still lived in Indiana) that
was from Iowa, Nebraska - I'm not sure - somewhere west of Indiana.
Anyway she made all kinds of fun of the way we pronounced spatula. She
pronounced it spa tool' a - we prounounced it spat' u la!
--
Donna in Idaho

"marsha" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 6, 11:23 am, "Donna Aten" wrote:
Where I grew up in Indiana - route didn't rhyme with root - it was
pronounced with an ow in the middle instead of oo.
--
Donna in Idaho

Donna, I am living in Bryan, Ohio, just a wee bit from the Ohio/
Indiana border. I moved here a few years ago from KC, MO where I was
born, raised and lived for 48 years. We pronounced creek with a long
e, here in wonderful Ohio it is pronounced crick rhyming with ick!!!
Not the same as a crick in your neck.

It is amazing (rhymes with grazing) how different life is here
compared to MO.

Marsha in nw, Ohio

Old May 7th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Pronounced the same here!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Butterflywings" wrote in message
And just how do you pronounce:
hangar-
1: you hang your clothing from
2: where you park your planes
Are they pronounced the same?

Butterfly (not being funny--Fun knee-- why on earth is our knee having all
the fun---and why aren't BOTH knees having fun? That was hard for me to
comprehend as a kid : )

Old May 7th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Boca Jan wrote:
Then there is the name Naomi which is said as it is is spelled. So many
people say Ni-omi. I don't like that. The a is said as an a, not an i.
~sigh~

Just rambling

And all the place names too that are pronounced completely differently
to their spelling. This part of England is especially confusing for
strangers - some of the pronunciations bear no resemblance to the
spelling at all!

My favourite has to be Happisborough in Norfolk - pronounced Hazebruh.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old May 7th 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

I don't spell them the same: I hang my clothes on a hanger and planes
are kept in a hangar. But I pronounce them pretty much the same.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old May 7th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
~KK in BC~

And just how do you pronounce:
hangar-
1: you hang your clothing from
2: where you park your planes
Are they pronounced the same?

Butterfly (not being funny--Fun knee-- why on earth is our knee having all
the fun---and why aren't BOTH knees having fun? That was hard for me to
comprehend as a kid : )

We put clothing on a hanger.

We park aircraft in a hangar.

They are pronounced differently here, the -er vs. the -ar are just a hint
different in sound.

~KK in BC~

Old May 7th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
~KK in BC~

If you can pronounce correctly every word in this poem, you
will be speaking English better than 90% of the native
English speakers in the world. After trying the verses, a
Frenchman said he'd prefer six months of hard labour to
reading six lines aloud. Try them yourself.

I find the biggest difference between the pronunciations of words come
between the USA and Canadian versions because of spelling for the most part.

We add letters in some words like: honour, neighbour and colour for example.

~KK in BC~

Old May 7th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

And I thought I was good at spelling : ( I knew it didn't 'look' right but I
wasn't sure why not. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Butterfly (at least I can spell Butterfly correctly most of the time and
can't spell the "teh" the any of the time

Old May 7th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
:
: And all the place names too that are pronounced completely
differently
: to their spelling. This part of England is especially
confusing for
: strangers - some of the pronunciations bear no resemblance
to the
: spelling at all!
:
:
: My favourite has to be Happisborough in Norfolk -
pronounced Hazebruh.
:
: --
: Sally at the Seaside

And at least some of those might be traced back to local
early dialects that have been preserved in pronunciation
long after the standardisation of spelling. Spoken language
has a far longer history than written language, and is
probably more deeply entrenched in the local population.

Accent has a lot to answer for. Just consider trying to
listen to a conversation between a Yorkshireman and a
Cockney . . . . to an American it would all sound "foreign"
rofl. In America many of the spoken language
differences/pronunciations relate to the ethnic mix of the
early settlers in specific areas, or the effect of social
isolation on pockets of population.

The one English name that always had me bemused was the
terribly upper crust name of "St John". How that ever
became "Sinjun" in an environment that imposes such a
stylised and demanding pronunciation system had me beat
until I was told it was derived from the Norman/French
pronunciation - hence the "slurring" of the Saint. But I
have never heard it in relation to place names like "St
John's Wood".

I remember reading that Australia represented a language
anomaly in that it represented a vast area with only minimal
language variation. You can travel thousands of miles here
and not hear a change of accent. Perhaps this is because we
are so "young" and mass communication (at least
across/within the continent) became the accepted norm
relatively soon after European settlement. Perhaps it is a
unifying national trait imposed by our early isolation from
the rest of the world. Maybe it is because we were so
heavily influenced by the first British settlers (although
the same could be said of most of the US), or because of the
minimal early impact of the spoken language of the
indigenous aborigines on the early settlers (even though we
now have some place names that would twist the tongues of
even Welshmen, and which we have trouble determining the
spelling of because the aborigines did not have written
language lol). Who really knows? But the study of
language and its influences is facinating.

I have enjoyed reading all the responses.
--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
: http://community.webshots.com/user/sallyswin

Old May 7th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Ah hah! The British (Norman/French) influence. Australia
has it too, although these days sadly the shorter
Americanised spellings seem to be taking over. A failing of
our education system in my opinion.

I cringe when I see what texting is doing to the written
language though. I do believe that language is a dynamic
force and is subject to constant change and innovation,
t -

i h8 txt words + h8 cing it in ltrs + emls
cul8r

(Aaahhhhhhhh!! runs screaming off in the distance!)

Old May 7th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On 6 May 2007 03:30:53 -0700, Dannielle wrote:

On May 6, 6:17 am, Sally Swindells
wrote:
Thanks Cheryl - I likes those, someone, somewhere has been very busy.

As I'm on the list : ) Can I add another one I didn't see there

route rhymes with root

No it doesn't! Route rhymes with out and root rhymes with flute!

How about route rhymes with root which rhymes with flute, and rout
rhymes with out.

hmmmm....

There was a rout out on the route to the root to make the flute.

Ack!
Now my brain is infested with words!

NightMist
done with digging and on to hoeing