Needlework Poll - Thank You

Old January 19th 04, 05:54 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Default Needlework Poll - Thank You

Thanks to all who participated. I know more will respond, but I have
what I need - since it's not scientific anyway. I'll continue to read,
but won't keep track unless I see a noticeable trend in another direction.

Some of you wrote such charming prose along with your answer. They were
a delight to read.

I counted 58 replies.

Almost all of you own an iron and use it for your embroidery. A few of
you were very enthusiastic about your new ones and couldn't wait to
share which brand it was. Several more made sure I understood that they
used their irons for more than their embroidery. g

Most of you own a sewing machine. 11 had their's buried, or only rarely
used it. 6 don't own one. Several of you sew your own clothing or
other household items.

I was amazed that the vast majority know how to hand sew a seam, and how
to "finish" a seam. A few did not (9). The answers, however, served up
an emphatic point of view: Many know how, but lack the time or desire.
Several knew how but their skills were rudimentary, so they rarely did
it. To those I urge: keep at it. Skills grow by doing. You're not
failing. Don't be discouraged. I'd rather use my machine than do
something by hand. But there are times when I can do it by hand faster
and more efficiently (or expediently) than using the machine.

A few (8) were adamant that they wanted nothing to do with construction.
About 19 would like to but don't know how. From the answers, as in
"finishing", though they might know how, they lack time or desire.

A majority know some rudiments of "finishing", however the query
elicited confusion about the question. This could mean a confusion of
the term (many people think hemming is finishing) or confused it with
construction - a different process which usually means seaming.

Finishing is adding cording, lace, or decorative stitches to join fabric
pieces such as: 1. Join fabric pieces to make a cloth large enough for
use (such as a table cloth); 2. as a decorative addition such as
fagotting narrow bias strips for a hem or collar; 3. Buttonholed, lacy
scallops around a previously hemmed (or seamed) piece of cloth; 4.
Binding edges in some fashion. There are other things as well. The
word is a tricky one and has different meanings for some people. Some
call "lacing and mounting" as *finishing*. I don't argue that, it's
just that my emphasis/head was elsewhere, and my question wasn't clear.

To construct something is to do things like put pieces of a pillow or
Christmas stocking together (front and back pieces), or a garment. It
involves "seams". You don't construct a napkin, you hem it in some
fashion (or fringe it - which could in the narrowest definition - be
"finishing").

Some of you could argue over the term "finishing" and in most cases, I
couldn't deny your other point of view. It's one of those "slippery"
terms that changes according to regions, culture, etc. By the answers I
got, at least 50% of you understood what I was getting at. That was
sufficient for my conclusions.

Boy, this is a talented bunch. If I had taken this poll 5 years ago
(and I did a similar one on another forum at the time), the results
would have been different. We have an "audience" now that is so much
more diverse. I did not expect the results I got. A hearty thank you
to all who took the time.

Dianne

Old January 20th 04, 05:15 PM
Joan Erickson

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

Finishing is adding cording, lace, or decorative stitches to join fabric
pieces such as: 1. Join fabric pieces to make a cloth large enough for
use (such as a table cloth); 2. as a decorative addition such as
fagotting narrow bias strips for a hem or collar; 3. Buttonholed, lacy
scallops around a previously hemmed (or seamed) piece of cloth; 4.
Binding edges in some fashion. There are other things as well. The
word is a tricky one and has different meanings for some people. Some
call "lacing and mounting" as *finishing*. I don't argue that, it's
just that my emphasis/head was elsewhere, and my question wasn't clear.

I get it now--you mean "fancy" finishing, not just "I'm done with it!"
No, I don't know how to do the fancy type.

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old January 20th 04, 05:59 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Joan Erickson wrote:

I get it now--you mean "fancy" finishing, not just "I'm done with
it!" No, I don't know how to do the fancy type.

I think I have an idea for an article!!! huge grin You're partially
right. If you make a collar and it's all seamed up and pressed . . .
you're done. But if you want to add a trim to it, then you're
"finishing" it. That's decorative.

However, if I need a tablecloth 160" wide and I'm dealing with fabric
that is 40" wide, I have to piece it. There are ways of doing this
without "seaming" that is quite decorative. Some people call this
"insertion" stitches. There is also a way to do this in hand sewing
that is almost invisible. I've seen baby booties (cloth) wherein the
sole is atttached to the top in this manner. There's no seam to rub on
baby's foot. I tried doing this once and it's a BIG PAIN! But then,
once is not enough to get proficient, so I won't damn the procedure. I
just hate the fact I wasn't born with the requisite skills and they
spill out without effort. g

Dianne

Old January 20th 04, 09:25 PM
Joan Erickson

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

Joan Erickson wrote:

I get it now--you mean "fancy" finishing, not just "I'm done with
it!" No, I don't know how to do the fancy type.

I think I have an idea for an article!!! huge grin You're partially
right. If you make a collar and it's all seamed up and pressed . . .
you're done. But if you want to add a trim to it, then you're
"finishing" it. That's decorative.

However, if I need a tablecloth 160" wide and I'm dealing with fabric
that is 40" wide, I have to piece it. There are ways of doing this
without "seaming" that is quite decorative. Some people call this
"insertion" stitches. There is also a way to do this in hand sewing
that is almost invisible.

I wonder if it's similar to the joining stitch in knitting? That's
invisible, too. It comes out looking just like the knit stitches.
Pretty cool.