OT--- Leftover turkey ideas

Old October 9th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

Default OT--- Leftover turkey ideas

woooooohoooooo, i'm on my way now, Roberta.
i dont understand at all why usa has all those pumpkins and just hollow'em
out and stick a candle in them.
it is one of the most versatile vegetables you can cook with and it tastes
divine.
that said, they also invented McD's, Burger King, KFC, need i say more, lol.
i guess they just cant see beyond the light behind the face there.
beats heck outta me.
on my way for PUMPKIN SOUP at Robertas house, )
jeanne

"Roberta Zollner" wrote...
Around here they do a to-die-for pumpkin soup, served with toasted pumpkin
seeds and a dollop of pumpkin oil.
Roberta in D

"nzlstar*" schrieb im Newsbeitrag...
curry, alacking, soup, sandwiches etc ad naseum.
what in heck is wrong here????
you've not even had halloween yet and already you're post thanksgiving
tearing that poor old gobbler to bits.

omg, you folks have lost the plot completely.
first you gotta think about what all can be done with a few fine fresh
pumpkins.
curry, alacking(tho never tried it i'm sure can be done), soup, i've put
bits of roast pumpkin on chicken sandwiches too, muffins, cake, pie,
roast, baked, steamed, fried, lasagne, mashed, cookies, boiled. it is
also very freezeable.
this is one of the seasons most versatile vegetables.
it is sweet or savoury, i like both equally. it is full of vitamin A
among others.
it is my favourite vegetable i do believe, well tis now cuz being born in
the northern fall i always have a fondness for anything autumn.
come'on folks get a move on those gorgeous fresh pumpkins around now.
see what new and exciting ways you can cook with that orange beauty.
ok, can be any colour but up north its usually orange.
i can find online links to good recipes if ya need'em but surely you can
put your brains into gear and see what favourite recipes you can use
pumpkin in.

its PUMPKIN TIME!!!!!!
lets boogieeeeeeeee,
jeanne |8^D

Old October 9th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

and that from a lover of LIME, i dont get it at all.
nope, i loooooooooooooooooooooooooooove PUMPKIN and i've got the same middle
name.
sumpin went wrong somewhere down the line, me thinks.
oh well,
jeanne

"Patti S" wrote...
Must be in the name :-)
Patti in Seattle

"Taria" wrote:
YOu sound just like my dd Patti.
Taria

Patti S wrote:
I think I'm in that very miniscule group that doesn't much care for
turkey OR pumpkin......
I'll have one slice of turkey on Thanksgiving, if I can smother it in
homemade cranberry sauce, but I'll pass on the pumpkin pie, or pumpkin
anything!

Someone told me that "deep fried" turkey was 10 times better than
roasted - but, me thinks toikey is toikey - no matter how it's cooked.

Patti in Seattle

Old October 9th 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti S

But, but, but........ Jeanne - LIME is a citrus.... PUMPKIN is a (gulp)
squash.

And ya wanna hear something REALLY weird? My middle name is Jean! :-)

Patti in Seattle

Old October 9th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jane Kay

Default Leftovers.......Turkey a Lacking

You know someone who wastes *perfectly good turkey broth* by making soup?!
What is wrong with them? "Everyone Knows" that all flavored liquid that can
be derived from a turkey carcass MUST be used to make more stuffing. One
must also toss in all the snits & bits of turkey that are too small for
sandwiches. We call this Turkey Hash. For a more complete meal toss in a bag
of chopped mixed veggies before baking and sprinkle cheese on top 5 minutes
before taking it from the oven to the table.

Jane in NE Ohio, where it is as hot as summer right now.

--
Please note that we have been assigned a NEW email address and update your
records. The new email address is . Thank you.
"Val" wrote in message

"Pati C." wrote in message
Since when I cook a turkey, I cook a large one there are always
leftovers. VBG
So I have some very good recipes to use turkey.
I am sure some of you have them too, so this sounds like a good time to
start compiling ideas.

Anyone sharing my DNA seems totally adverse to turkey soup; 'Good Turkey
Soup' is an oxymoron in this household. This is not up for debate, it's
personal choice, we who share my DNA, all stand firm here, you can't
change our minds, if you like turkey soup go for it, more power to you!!
After dinner and clean up is in progress somebody who can be trusted
with a sharp pointy object is assigned to remove all possible meat left on
the turkey carcass, said carcass is then dropped into a clean plastic bag
and the announcement is made......."Anyone who wants this to take home to
make that damned soup better speak now 'cause it's about to be flung in
the trash." There is always a taker, never one yet, however, who shares
the 'family DNA'.

"Turkey a Lacking" is the absolute favorite 'de ja food' after turkey
sandwiches. This dish got it's name over 30 years ago when my 1st grader
son, who was allowed to choose one hot lunch a week to buy at school, was
carefully reading the menu to make his weekly choice and
asked......."What's Chicken a Lacking?" huh??? I had to go look at what
he was reading......Chicken ala King!!! Well, we love it made with turkey
too and it's been called Turkey a Lacking ever since......still number one
favorite here, good stuff, yum!

Make a bucket of your favorite, tasty cream gravy, (butter, flour, milk,
half & half, make Paula Dean proud!....salt, pepper and just a dab of
powdered mustard) dump in what's left of the turkey after the swarming
hoards have been scavenging for sandwiches, any gravy IF there's any left
(during the holidays gravy is considered to be a beverage or food group,
not a condiment, so there's seldom any left over) toss in a bag of frozen
peas&carrots (still frozen) and gently heat and stir until the veggies are
hot but the peas are still bright green.....pour it over rice, noodles or
big ol' fluffy buttermilk biss-kits. You can dump in pimento, green
peppers, onions, mushrooms and all kinds of things sautéed in the butter
first but we are purists here, we like our chicken and turkey "lacking".
*IF* there's any of this left over, which there seldom is, I use it for a
base to make a turkey pot pie......then the turkey is only a vague, fond
memory and somewhere in town is a family heading into the second week of
that *^&^* turkey soup!

Most of the time the bowl of left over Turkey a Lacking, that I had hidden
in the fridge, saved for a turkey pot pie, was consumed by nuking it and
then poured on toast for breakfast the following morning.......but then I
had a herd of teenaged boys living with me for years so just the mention
of "left-overs" found me laughing hysterically at the absolute nonsense of
such a concept!!

Val

Old October 9th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

really weird, so we've got reversed names, eh. lol.
have you never heard of Lemon/LIME/Orange Squash drink?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squash_(drink)
see, it maybe a citrus but can also be squash.
i reckon you've just not had the right pumpkin cooked the right way to
thoroughly enjoy the beauty of this beauty.
)
jeanne

"Patti S" wrote...

Old October 9th 07, 11:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Paulette

Default OT--- Leftover turkey ideas now Pumpkin Soup

Roberta, I have a garden. In this garden there are MANY pumpkins. Did I
mention there were a lot of pumpkins? I have cooked down at least 3, have
at least 6 or so sitting about, and there are more....lots more...coming up
in the near future. I raise Rouge de la Temps and tan cheese. I noticed
you mention a to die for pumpkin soup. I lost my GREAT pumpkin soup recipe
and am working off an ok one. Would you be willing to share your soup
recipe? The family has decided pumpkin butter is so so (good thing I only
made one batch) and really miss the soup.

Begging,
Paulette in WV who is awfully close to looking like a tourist pumpkin patch

Old October 9th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm tetrazzini.
Wish I could make my own.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old October 9th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

I love Pumkin Anything. soups, stews, pies (especially-Pies),
milkshakes, anything! and my Jack-o-Lantern is ceramic BTW. i cant
abide by wasting good food for decorations.
i also think Turkey is one of the most versatile foods. and it really
saves on the old grocery bill that week! i am going to try the
enchinladas. my DIL is of spanish ancestry and i'll have to ask her
for a good recipe. she maked the best beef ones i've ever had!
cant wait for U.S.Turkey day.....you gals are makin' me hungry!!
amy in CNY

Old October 9th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Jane Kay" wrote:

You know someone who wastes *perfectly good turkey broth* by making soup?!
What is wrong with them? "Everyone Knows" that all flavored liquid that can
be derived from a turkey carcass MUST be used to make more stuffing. One
must also toss in all the snits & bits of turkey that are too small for
sandwiches. We call this Turkey Hash. For a more complete meal toss in a bag
of chopped mixed veggies before baking and sprinkle cheese on top 5 minutes
before taking it from the oven to the table.

Jane in NE Ohio, where it is as hot as summer right now.

Nope. There's something so soothing about *good* turkey soup (or surkey
toup, as DF used to call it) on a winter day! I cook my turkey carcass
with seasonings in the crockpot all night and all day. By the time I'm
ready to take the bones out of the pot, the liquid is a rich brown,
rather than an insipid yellow. Add some pasta or barley, some crusty
bread, and DH and I are happy campers!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old October 9th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

Jane--Listen to Sandy...nuthin' like Surkey Toup!!! add some cut up
carrots, celery, potatoes and salt and pepper, toss in some cooked
pastina and voila! toup! mmm w/crusty italian bread and butter.
drooool
Get the bib!!!
amy in CNY

bag of leftover threads [email protected] Yarn 1 September 25th 07 04:26 AM
Using leftover fabric. John Quilting 21 March 19th 07 05:43 PM
Leftover Baby Quilt. John Quilting 17 February 12th 07 08:12 PM
Want some leftover Eterna? Felice Friese Needlework 3 May 3rd 06 10:07 PM
leftover scraps Helen in MN Quilting 8 November 13th 05 12:52 AM