To those with inherited stashes

Old May 1st 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Default To those with inherited stashes

Unless there are a whole lot of teams who beat mine. Then there's not nearly
enough ugly! LOL
(Looks like I'll need lots of ugly this year. Both of my teams think having
fun is more important that winning. *sigh* )

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

"Taria" wrote in message
Kathy, are you saying a little ugly goes a long way? LOL
Taria

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

And when all else fails, ugly fabric gets cut up for the baseball swap.
It's amazing how much better it looks cut into 6.5" squares. Especially
when it's going to a team that had absolutely no business beating mine.
*evil grin*

Old May 2nd 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

.. . . . . and there is always chenille!

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

"Debra" wrote in message
: Although many quilters find some oddball print has made
it's way into
: their stash, those of us with inherited stashes have a
great deal of
: prints that we would never buy for ourselves. I have
stash from about
: four other people now and although most of it is
wonderful, some of it
: just plain boggles my mind.
:
: I've got several cuts of very nice feeling but ugly cloth
in yardage
: and no ideas on how to use it. I've got things that clash
with the
: rest of my stash. I've got seasonal prints and I don't
intend to
: make holiday quilts. I've got plaids and stripes and no
idea how to
: use them well. I've got odd geometrics, and even odder
super size
: prints.
:
: How do you use up those weird amounts of weird prints?
Most of all
: what do you do with 2 or more yards of Ugly?
: Debra in VA
: See my quilts at
: http://community.webshots.com/user/debplayshere

Old May 2nd 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Ohhhh that's a great idea Cheryl! Especially for large yardages. You never
quite know what you're going to get with different fabrics...it would be fun
to play with "uglies" and make chenille!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old May 2nd 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

oh lordy, aint that the truth, forgot completely bout chenille.
doesnt matter what the fabric looks like then just the colour range.
clever you for remembering that one, cher.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"CATS" wrote...
. . . . . and there is always chenille!

Old May 2nd 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Have you seen the "Coil Bowls"? Several years ago Shirley Adams did an
episode of her TV show on these. She used the really soft upholstery
cording that comes in different sizes. (Basically something similar to
batting strands with a very loosely woven tubular netting around it.
Meant to be covered with fabric.)
You tear the ugly fabric into strips, wrap the end with an end of the
strip of fabric, covering the cut end of the cording. And continue
wrapping, sort of diagonally, and very firmly, around the cord. Be sure
to overlap the edges of the strip by about half the width of the strip
or 1/2" or so. When you get enough done to start "folding" it, either
into a circle or oval you start stitching.
Use a very wide, but not too long, zigzag stitch in a color that blends
into the fabric. (At least for the first one.) You will certainly be
able to find one. Use same thread in top and bobbin. Just zigzag with
the two edges of the cord next to each other, if you can reduce the
pressure on your pressure foot, but don't worry too much about it. You
may need to play with the length/width of the stitch to get it "right".
Just keep wrapping and stitching. When you come to the end of a strip,
pick up the next strip, wrap so that the end is concealed and keep on
wrapping. Note: a safety pin through the fabric and about half the cord
keeps it tight and secure.
When you have the flat part as big as you want it, start curving up the
side of the bowl. Just sort of hold the base up at the edge opposite the
needle. Try to keep it even, which takes some practice. Keep on going.
When the bowl is shaped/sized to your liking, cut the cord, wrap over
the end and tuck the fabric tail around so it ends between the 2 cords.
Just sort of "smoosh" the end of the cord and back stitch over it.

You really can't go wrong with these. VBG If you miss a section, go
back and re stitch it. (Do it before the bowl gets too big to get the
spot under the pressure foot.)
If you make flat ones with small cord they can be coasters/placemats/hot
mats and so on. Ones with just a bit of a lip can be trays. Bowls can
be shallow or deep. The tops of the bowls can flare out or curve in.

You can use lots and lots of yardage this way. And some of the ugliest
fabrics look wonderful this way. Have fun with them. Mix fabrics that
have the same sort of colors. The frayed edges of the torn strips help
"hide" the stitching. But you could also stitch with a contrasting
thread or a heavier thread in the bobbin if you become confident enough.

Pati, in Phx.

Old May 2nd 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

nzlstar* wrote:
sorry the stripes also can be used as bindings, crosswise.
jeanne

Stripes look neat in binding cut on the bias, too.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old May 2nd 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Second idea:
Many times those big prints can make wonderful Stack and Whack style
blocks. Depends on how many repeats you have. G
Yardage also works well for "charity" quilts. Lots and lots of places
need these, especially needing fabrics for backs. And what is your
"ugly" may be someone else's "wonderful". (VBG)

You could also forward it to a local 4-H group, Girl Scout troop,
Clothing drive for those that can't afford new school clothes, Shelter
for Women, and so on.

And Jill will always take donations for her Critter quilts.

VBG
Pati, in Phx

Old May 2nd 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti S

Hi Debra
I send all of my "will never make anything of this" fabric to Jill at
Critter Comforts. The little fur babies don't care what it looks
like....... and she does such a wonderful service.

Patti in Seattle

Old May 2nd 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default "different" fabrics To those with inherited stashes

Howdy!

This reminds me of 20 yrs. of crocheting rag rugs.
I can buy this double-ugly fabric, 5-10 yrds of it,
cut it into 1" wide strips and start crocheting. Sold every one
I ever offered (booths in local craft malls & shows), because
once that fabric was twisted & turned and pulled this way & that
it looked completely different. And makes the nicest flat rugs.
I reckon some fabric isn't "ugly" so much as it is "different"
and just needs a different use than my usual quilts. ;-)

R/Sandy

On 5/1/07 7:32 PM, in article
t, "Pati Cook"

Why Stashes? Yarn 10 August 7th 06 08:28 PM
Death & Stashes Atom1 Sewing 20 September 3rd 04 06:17 PM
Death and Stashes Sharon & Jack Sewing 6 August 30th 04 01:43 PM
Inherited a Serger - HELP! KoriQ Sewing 5 April 5th 04 02:49 AM
Help With Inherited Goblens Patricia Rogers Needlework 0 July 28th 03 04:18 AM