Do you ECHO Echo echoooooooo ?

Old September 11th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Default Do you ECHO Echo echoooooooo ?

A machine quilting question. Tell us how you echo. I 've tried (or seen)
echoing just as close as you can manage to get with the SM foot. I've tried
moving out 1/8" or 1/4" in a sort of shadow effect. I've tried barely
following the edge of the vine or appliqué with just a loopy stipple.
What technique do you use? Why? Easier, looks better, what? Just
wondering. I don't think the preemie babies I stitch for will give a happy
hoot but I always, always would like to do better. Polly

Old September 11th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Polly Esther wrote:
A machine quilting question. Tell us how you echo. I 've tried (or seen)
echoing just as close as you can manage to get with the SM foot. I've tried
moving out 1/8" or 1/4" in a sort of shadow effect. I've tried barely
following the edge of the vine or appliqué with just a loopy stipple.
What technique do you use? Why? Easier, looks better, what? Just
wondering. I don't think the preemie babies I stitch for will give a happy
hoot but I always, always would like to do better. Polly

I did some echo quilting on the Hungry Caterpillar quilts I made for my
granddaughters.
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/HungryCaterpillar.JPG
Unfortunately, the photo is just of the top, so it doesn't show any
stitching. I stitched "in the ditch" around the leaf, caterpillar, &
butterfly -- also along the vein in the leaf and several lines in the
butterfly wings. Then I echoed with lines about 1/2" apart around each
of the objects to fill the white space around them. I quilted the "gum
ball" areas with large "pebbles" -- rather irregular ones, I must admit.
Fortunately, the design of the fabric camouflages them somewhat.

Julia in MN

--
-----------

Old September 11th 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

That Hungry Caterpillar has far flung influence. I was putting one together
when a neighbor who 'wasn't a bit interested in making *blankets* ' dropped
in for a visit. She was so enchanted that now she's leading a group at a
nearby church to make hug quilts. Meanwhile, back to my wondering . . .
what are the tricks to get really close to an appliqué for in the ditch
quilting. My attempts want to stall. Polly

Old September 11th 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Dump the free-motion idea and use a walking foot! VBEG Twist, turn, stuff
the quilt under the arm, twist, turn, stuff, twist, turn, stuff.....

Leslie The Coward & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 11th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ! yuck, gross and phooey. I want an easy answer. Polly

"Leslie The Coward & The Furbabies in MO." wrote Dump the free-motion
idea and use a walking foot! VBEG Twist, turn, stuff
the quilt under the arm, twist, turn, stuff, twist, turn, stuff.....

"Polly Esther" That Hungry Caterpillar has far flung influence. I was

Old September 11th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

We know you are no coward Leslie. LOL. Give a try to the free motion.
I am not terrific at it but can do it sort of. It is way too tough
to use a walking foot for me. Practice a bit before you start on
the actual project. A glass of wine doesn't hurt either.
Taria

Old September 11th 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Sep 10, 9:07�pm, Julia in MN jaccola-AT-chartermi-
wrote:
Polly Esther wrote:
A machine quilting question. �Tell us how you echo. �I 've tried (or seen)
echoing just as close as you can manage to get with the SM foot. �I've tried
moving out 1/8" or 1/4" in a sort of shadow effect. �I've tried barely
following the edge of the vine or appliqu� with just a loopy stipple.
[...]

I love that quilt. That was my daugher's favorite book when she was 6.
I've always wanted to make one
for a grandchild (If I ever get one). I've seen the panel, but it was
only 24" or so and didn't know what to do with it. I've never seen the
other fabric that you used. Where did you find it?

Sherry
Old September 11th 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I'm not allowed anything stronger than my beloved Diet Cherry Coke- alcohol
of any sort clashes with my meds. I free motion all the time (I'm fairly
decent it after I warm up- and Polly and Pat *made* me learn how to FM with
my presser foot *down*!) and I love doing it. BUT..... I know my limits and
if I want perfectly spaced echo quilting I know how to use my Accu-Feed
foot! LOL

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 11th 08, 05:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Just go with the flow and make ripples - nature's ripples aren't
perfectly symmetrical or spaced from the centre point and the final
effect can be dazzling. If you make a hiccup - make it a part of
direction change start a new ripple flow. I did a couple of lot cabin
type quilts a few years ago - I added some applique motifs in certain
areas and echoed out from each of the them until the quilts were
filled with ripples. jennellh

Old September 11th 08, 08:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I just use the SM foot, Polly. But, because I am lucky enough to be
able to move my needle, this can vary quite a lot. Can you move the
needle on your new machine? I would have thought so. It is a terribly
useful facility - I do all my quarter inch seams by needle position now
- varying my standard position for it, if the fabric is particularly
fine, or particularly thick.
I once echoed large cat appliqués right out to the edge of their blocks
- it looked dreadful. I would never do more than a fairly small
distance out from the appliqué in future.
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes
A machine quilting question. Tell us how you echo. I 've tried (or seen)
echoing just as close as you can manage to get with the SM foot. I've tried
moving out 1/8" or 1/4" in a sort of shadow effect. I've tried barely
following the edge of the vine or appliqué with just a loopy stipple.
What technique do you use? Why? Easier, looks better, what? Just
wondering. I don't think the preemie babies I stitch for will give a happy
hoot but I always, always would like to do better. Polly

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill