"Drat", says newbie...

Old August 16th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jean B.

Default "Drat", says newbie...

All I can say right now is "drat"! I came here looking for
ideas for surface design and dyeing, and now I (person who has
always loathed sewing) want to make a quilt! You must be
contageous or something....

I am also thinking I want to do something by hand first....
Are crazy quilts the easiest? Any good links for total
newbies? Hmmmm. I'd better go look at the FAQ if there is
one. I have been looking at eye candy--and at more practical
things like about.quilting....

I don't know whether to close with a smile or a frown. Time
will tell....
--
Jean B.
Old August 16th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article , "Jean B."
wrote:

All I can say right now is "drat"! I came here looking for
ideas for surface design and dyeing, and now I (person who has
always loathed sewing) want to make a quilt! You must be
contageous or something....

I am also thinking I want to do something by hand first....
Are crazy quilts the easiest? Any good links for total
newbies? Hmmmm. I'd better go look at the FAQ if there is
one. I have been looking at eye candy--and at more practical
things like about.quilting....

I don't know whether to close with a smile or a frown. Time
will tell....

Welcome, Jean! G We love being contagious! LOL! As for hand work, you
can do any quilt that way (crazy quilts aren't my thing, but they're
truly masterpieces). I'm currently in love with Linda Franz's Quilted
Diamonds (http://www.lindafranz.com/) and am doing them entirely by
hand. She puts out a wonderful DVD explaining the entire process. HTH!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Old August 16th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mika

Hi Jean. Welcome to the cyber quilt frame. Lots of good information can be
gleaned from the ladies here if you bribe them properly. That means
Chocolate or fabric or more chocolate or even more fabric. Sit down and take
a load off and pass the chocolate. You do have chocolate right? ;-)

Hugs,
Mika

Old August 16th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kellie J. Berger

hee hee hee... yup contagious and enablers to boot! lol....
Welcome!

dunno if crazy quilts are easiest but they are fun! there are a lot of
simple patterns with striking results. Irish chain, Snowball, yellow
brick road, etc. ad nauseum grin

http://www.kjbeanne.com/rctqfaqs.htm i keep the faqs on my site. They
won't tell you as much about making quilts as about the terms we talk about
here.

if you have days to look for patterns and drool go here
http://www.quilterscache.com/
if you have months go here http://www.quiltwoman.com/sp_links.cfm

and there are lots of other places such as the websites of the ppl here!
have fun! ask lots of questions, show us pics on your website and welcome
again!

Kellie J Berger
www.kjbeanne.com/kellie.htm

Old August 16th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Jean-

Welcome to your new obsession/passion/addiction!

This link will get you to *everything* you ever wanted to know about
quilting and then some. Plan to spend an afternoon (or longer!)
checking out all the info on this website...

http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.ne...inePiecing.htm

Good luck, have fun, and hang around here. We'll always answer any
question- and debate the merits- any time you need some info! ;-)

And WELCOME to r.c.t.q.!!!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old August 16th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
FurrsomeThreesome

Welcome!

I still count myself a relative "newbie" - I think I'm coming up on my
4th year since my "quilting for dummies" introduction class (but I'm
over-busy and don't work on quilts NEARLY as much as I want).

I don't know if crazy quilts would be "easiest", but maybe they're
different if you hand-piece. I've pondered some but can see getting
myself into weird situations where I have an off-kilter triangle to try
to fit in to a block and I"m really not good at turning a corner while
stitching.

For really easy, and quick gratification, try ANYTHING just involving
squares. I just whipped up a couple tops for baby quilts that
alternated 4-patch and 1-patch pieces, but if you do that with fun
batiks and fiddle with the colour placement you can get neat effects
for nothing but straight-line sewing.

For a ton of ideas and some reasonably good instructions for block
designs, I think someone already suggested Quilterscache.

If you're the sort who likes books - well, there are many here who have
many more than I, but my first teach recommended the "Quilts from the
Quiltmaker's Gift" books - there are two - and I LOVE them. They are
full of 39 traditional patterns ranging from drop-dead easy to
moderately complex but still repeating geometries. The books include
lots of good technique advice, along with a primer on the "math of
quilting" and they're full of fun stories of all kinds of real-world
quilters. I've also bought the children's book "The Quiltmaker's Gift"
over and over again for friends' kids.

I am also someone who loves going to a good workshop. Not every
teacher is brilliant, and I've been lucky to find a few who are, but
every one of them has some personal wisdom that you just won't get by
trial and error (or maybe you would, but after ALOT of trial and
error). A one-day class in my area will run about $50-$70, and is
enough to teach you the basics of EITHER cutting/piecing OR quilting, I
find.

Good luck with your new affliction... er, ummm, "hobby", yah that's
it...

Johanna (the one in Waterloo, Canada).

Old August 16th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

oooowaaahahahahahahaha!
Hooked another one!

Easiest by hand: cut some fabric squares, all the same size.
Sew 2 of them together: you have a pair.
Sew 2 more of them together: another pair.
Sew the pairs together: you have a 4-patch.
See how easy that was?
Repeat. g
Let the fabric make it fun & interesting for a 4-patch.
When you get them all put together, then you move on to another
pattern, a 9-patch, playing w/ triangles, curves--really,
curves are not difficult.
Crazy quilting, tho', could be a bigger challenge for a
first quilt. Or not. ;-)

Good luck! And Welcome, Jean B!!

Ragmop/Sandy-- my favorite 4-patch: http://tinyurl.com/jf58k
Latest 4-patch mix: http://tinyurl.com/j7shs

Old August 16th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jacqueline

I too, would like to say welcome, even though I am a newbie myself. I
have not sewn the first square together but am trying to get ready to
do so. I can't wait this is something I have always wanted to do and
I am going to do it even if it kills me. Well, I don't think it will
kill me but I am going to do it.

Again, Welcome,

Jacqueline

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 20:31:58 -0400, "Jean B." wrote:

All I can say right now is "drat"! I came here looking for
ideas for surface design and dyeing, and now I (person who has
always loathed sewing) want to make a quilt! You must be
contageous or something....

I am also thinking I want to do something by hand first....
Are crazy quilts the easiest? Any good links for total
newbies? Hmmmm. I'd better go look at the FAQ if there is
one. I have been looking at eye candy--and at more practical
things like about.quilting....

I don't know whether to close with a smile or a frown. Time
will tell....

Jacqueline
http://www.mountain-breeze.com
Recipes and other fun things
Old August 16th 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jacqueline

Kelly I apprecaite those links, they weren't passed out when I joined
last week but sure am glad to get them tonight.

Jacqueline