'splain to me about 'band saws'

Old July 8th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Default and something else now.....( 'splain to me about 'band saws')

right now, i have another question...what do you think about a 'table
foiler'...??

is that worth the expense?

Many that learned to foil without the assistance of any foiling device
will insist they can foil just fine without one and can do it by hand
as fast as with a foiler. That's true only if they've never spent the
time mastering the use of one. There are several different types of
foilers (upright and flat). All take a few hours practice to get the
feel of how they should be used. Yes, you can foil by hand - but you
can foil faster and more accurately with a foiler.However, that applies
only if you're willing to spend some time learning to use one.

We run a commercial production glass shop and consider foilers to be
hugely advantageous and figure they save so much time they pay for
themself in labour savings in just a few days. For stained glass work,
saws SNUP, but foilers are a great investment.

Dennis Brady

DeBrady Glass - http://www.debrady.com
Victorian Art Glass - http://www.victorianartglass.biz
Glass Campus - http://www.glasscampus.com

Old July 9th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

"glassman" wrote in message

Table foiler is one of those gadgets that really work. It's easy to

use,
saves time and worth every penny. I use it almost everyday. I can foil and
crimp over 100 pieces an hour without any of those little annoying finger
cuts. Yeah I know Moon I'm a wimp, but I'm gettin' too old to foil by hand
anymore.

I got one of those Inland Edge Foilers 20 years ago and use it whenever I am
forced into using foil. I don't like foiling, have never liked foiling,
and never will like foiling. I don't think there is ANY machine that will
ease the boredom and aggravation of foiling. And not foiling eliminates the
need to turbo solder. ;)

I'd MUCH rather work in lead or brass. If I had to foil everyday, I'd
give up the business. For real!!!

Old July 9th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Hey wait a dern minute...it was just a few months ago that you telling
folks that the foiler was another boat anchor along with the saw.
BTW...where's that video on soldering 30" in 2 seconds?

Old July 9th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"Moonraker" wrote in message

"glassman" wrote in message

[...]

I do whatever they want to pay my real estate taxes of $10,000... YIKES!
The table foiler is a huge advance over that Inland piece of crap, which is
even worse than the Glastar foiler.

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old July 9th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
sundog

I'm with you on that Mooney.... I don't even like the look of most foiled
projects, so I only use it for structural requirements, say lampshades, and
very rarely at that. I know I'm just a lead snob, and I get paid well for it
too.... hahahahahah.... I far prefer the appearance of lead cames. So then
the argument becomes aesthetics, yet I still suspect 99% of craftsmen still
use foil because it's easy. I use lead because I believe it looks superior,
justifying the added labor and skill required to do it well.

Perhaps a little clarification is in order..... I always go first cabin on
all my work, and people seek me out from other states to do their projects
because of that. I can never catch up either..... just in case some of you
were thinking you have to create cheapo junkola en masse to make a living.
Who told you that?

My official patented motto is, "Takes Longer, Costs More" ....... and no
I'm not a trust-funder. I earn every nickel I have with these 2 hands and my
feeble mind. It helps to be a skilled designer with something to say,
though. Clients that appreciate that approach are willing to pay the costs
involved. The unwilling are merely ignored or referred to China. There are
no art emergencies!

I entered into this craft for personal fulfillment.... end of story.

cheers, Jacques Bordeleau

Old July 9th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"sundog" wrote in message ...
I'm with you on that Mooney.... I don't even like the look of most foiled
projects, so I only use it for structural requirements, say lampshades,
and
very rarely at that. I know I'm just a lead snob, and I get paid well for
it
too.... hahahahahah.... I far prefer the appearance of lead cames. So then
the argument becomes aesthetics, yet I still suspect 99% of craftsmen
still
use foil because it's easy. I use lead because I believe it looks
superior,
justifying the added labor and skill required to do it well.

I doubt that it's 99%... maybe closer to 60%? I do both and I don't find
foil easier in the least. The time it takes to foil each piece is probably a
wash with the soldering time you save with came. It's purely your taste. My
brother was a foil snob, who believed that Tiffany's foiling was the only
way to do anything in glass. He would actually relead old came windows with
foil! In his mind it was an improvement, and he was very successful.

Old July 9th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

i'm surprised to hear you guys singing the praises of lead...
i'm sure it has its place, but how can it compare to foil when it comes
to intricate designs? plus, foil should last a lot longer, shouldn't
it...
what's the 'life span' of a leaded window? doesn't it have to be shored
up
every 15 years or so? maybe longer..i don't know because i don't like
lead..
not at all. too klunky for me...but i understand why you might like
it...
aesthetically, i don't...

and maybe i'm a purist...i think Tiffany did some wonderful
windows...that
could never have been done with lead...

arlene

Old July 9th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

"sundog" wrote in message ...
..... just in case some of you
were thinking you have to create cheapo junkola en masse to make a living.
Who told you that?

I think it was some dickweed in Vancouver, eh?

Old July 9th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

wrote in message
ups.com...
i'm surprised to hear you guys singing the praises of lead...
i'm sure it has its place, but how can it compare to foil when it comes
to intricate designs? plus, foil should last a lot longer, shouldn't
it...
what's the 'life span' of a leaded window? doesn't it have to be shored
up
every 15 years or so? maybe longer..i don't know because i don't like
lead..
not at all. too klunky for me...but i understand why you might like
it...
aesthetically, i don't...

and maybe i'm a purist...i think Tiffany did some wonderful
windows...that
could never have been done with lead...

arlene

Foil will always be viewed as a sissy, girly, newbie, hobby medium to the
"real men" that use lead came. I do agree that foil does look better in
many applications, but a true camer will always think that thread lead is
equal to foil in appearance. The one negative to be said about lead is that
it's really really dirty and messy. You can do foil in your home. I use both
equally.