LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

Old June 15th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

Taria wrote:
I told a kid to quit kicking a box at Lowe's a couple of months

ago. (he was wailing on the thing) I thouht the dad was going to
slug ME. I just shook my head being grateful I don't have kids
in school anymore. How on earth do they get people to go into
teaching?
Taria

My mom was an elementary school teacher for 36 years--she just retired
two years ago. When she first began teaching, parents were very
supportive of the concept of well-disciplined, hard-working children.
By the time she retired, approximately 50% did not have the
self-discipline to stay in their seats, raise their hand before
talking, keep their hands to themselves, much less concentrate on
school work. And these were still sweet kids--not juvenile
delinquents. But it was apparent that parental expectations regarding
manners and self-discipline, much less the pride of doing a job well
has gone by the wayside. Failing to learn these behaviors interfered
with these kids' ability to learn and will prevent them from being good
employees if they don't learn it somewhere a long the way.

The scary thing was when my mom would talk to the parents about it, it
was never their "little darlings" fault. And even scarier is when my
mom would receive notes from parents about uncompleted homework stating
that the kid's soccer practice took precedent over school work. Ahem.

You couldn't pay me enough to do that job.

Michelle in NV

Old June 15th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Now cell/mobile phones

Doesn't matter what it sounds like... if I hear a cell ringing, I check
mine. Yes, I have a cool downloaded ringtone... but I still check.

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
"Sandy Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy!

Exactly. Most of the comments I've heard are "I can hear that!" g
You can even hear it pinging? So I'm not the only one! ;-D

Ragmop/Sandy- btw, you're not that much older than I 8-

On 6/15/06 9:15 AM, in article , "Roberta Zollner"
wrote:

That pinging noise? No problem hearing that, and I'm older than you!
Roberta in D, wishing sometimes I could turn my ears off

"Sandy Ellison" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Howdy!

My Avon lady (good friend) told me about this, Monday,
a ring tone that we "older" folks aren't supposed to be able to hear.
http://tinyurl.com/juf9l

I can hear it. Some dept. stores still have electronic equipment
running that I can hear buzzing/whining above my head. Ooooerrrrgh!

Meanwhile, I appreciate having my mobile phone available,
for *my* use. Not in a check-out line, not in a meeting, not at
the table in a restaurant, not while I'm driving.
I mean, if I drove and phoned, how could I, with a clear conscience,
yell at other drivers? : "Hang up and drive! It's an automobile,
not a phone booth on wheels!" G

It was a joy to have that phone with me in Paducah last year;
called dear husband back at work in Dallas, exclaiming over the
charm & beauty of that old downtown area. He shared my excitement
and looks forward to going to Paducah with me later this year.

Ragmop/Sandy --my Avon lady & I are thinking of inventing a "detector"
that will sniff out those whining cell phone tones g

You can

Old June 15th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You are right ... Wendy would not let
her kiddos run wild. OTOH, have you ever
shopped with Wendy?? Talk about wild and
crazy!!
;P
PAT

Georg wrote:

frood wrote:

This is true. However, I was writing under the assumption that
Dannielle will parent with the same level of intelligence and common
sense she has shown in her posts here.

Me too- and I don't think she'd let the kid run wild, and more than you
would.

It's common sense, but sadly it seems to be in short supply with those
that garner the most attention.

-georg

Old June 15th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yeah, a Pavlovian Response ... like
whenever one of my two DS are in the
same town as me, I automatically look
around when I hear a male call out
"Mom!" Now I even respond when I hear a
female voice ... could be one of the
DILs. Either case, I love to hear my
'kids' call me Mom!
PAT

Old June 15th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yes, it does mean they are unruly. Why do you think that allowing your
children to roam and yell is ok? That's ridiculous. I don't go to a quilt
store to listen to a kid scream. If you can't control 'em, keep 'em at home
until you can. It's just not fair of parents to inflict their children on
others, period. People go out to stores and such to ESCAPE their children
sometimes, to have grown-up time for themselves. Other people just plain
don't like ill-mannered children. If you take them in public it is your
DUTY as a parent to keep them with you, quiet and well-behaved. This is the
way one behaves properly in public, and to allow otherwise is bad teaching.

Anita said:
If I may interject... is it so bad to bring
: unruly children into a store? I mean, does
: the fact that children roam, crawl, and yell
: make them unruly? I do not mean to be
: facetious (or maybe I am just being defensive),
: but we often go to our LQS as a whole family.
: DH sits on the floor and tries to keep the two
: kids under control. But, kids crawl and roam.
: Sometimes they yell. We do not permit them to
: touch the fabric, walls, displays, anything.

Old June 15th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks Wendy. I do try very hard to parent with all of my brain cells.
Some days it is me that has the meltdown, however. On those days, I
try especially hard to stay home!!!!

Dannielle

frood wrote:
This is true. However, I was writing under the assumption that Dannielle
will parent with the same level of intelligence and common sense she has
shown in her posts here.

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply

"Georg" wrote in message
frood wrote:

Just remember, any woman who gives you a dirty look when your kids act up
either didn't have any herself, or can't remember that kids have
meltdowns.

I try very hard to be sympathetic. Some exploration is expected. Some
enthusiasm is fine. I can understand a temper-tantrum too. But I expect
mom to be paying attention to the child at that point. It's not going to
go on for very long with mom right there and doing something about it...
compared to the tantrum all the way across the store, or the child
grabbing *my* things.

Curiosity about what I am doing is fine, and I usually respond positively.
But that's different than grabbing my shopping selections or what I am
reaching for.

It's hard to say where the line is between what I will give a dirty look
for or actually dare to interfere (which is much further along).

Parenting is a very hard job to do. I do try to compliment good parents
and good kids.

-georg

Old June 15th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

The repercussions depend on how you're raising your child. My parents
spanked. Therefore, we would be removed and spanked. If you're not a
spanker, you can STILL remove the kid and take it home. On behalf of
everyone you might come in contact with in a store, THANK YOU for being a
"remover"! Those who take on the responsibility of raising a child give
up a lot of their own freedom. For responsible parents, that unfortunately
includes the freedom to shop or otherwise be out in public if the kid is
encroaching on others with its noise or actions.

"Dannielle" wrote in message
oups.com...
But what was the repercussions if you DID misbehave? Little ones that
are too small to be left in the car but are misbehaving and crying and
annoying everyone...what did your parents do with that child?

I do remove her from the store so as not to annoy other shoppers, and I do
try everything I can order to assure a nice quiet shopping trip.

Old June 15th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks to everyone for your insights! Sometimes it just helps to hear
from others who are both parents and not parents! I think I am doing
well. I remove her when she gets out of control, I try to entertain
her while shopping, making sure she has toys, snacks or drinks as
necessary, and leave her elsewhere when I know I cannot properly pay
attention to her (like at the fabric stores!) or I do go when she will
sleep in the stroller through TSWLTH! I try to make sure that I pay
attention to her at all times so that she is not touching anything
she's not allowed to touch, and I am insistent that she learn what I
have come to term "Old fashioned behaviour." You know, the kind we
grew up with...based on respect for our fellow humans!

Sometimes I have to shop with her being a terror, but usually only when
I have to get to the pharmacy for medication and it just can't be
helped...but I try to avoid those situations too!

For anyone who might receive a bonk on the head from my DD, I apologize
in advance! *grin*

Dannielle

blackrosequilts wrote:
Valerie in FL wrote:
I got bonked on the head with a spoon wielded by a 3-year-old in a
restaurant last week. I didn't even get an apology from her parents, so this
is absolutely a sore subject with me.

That's outrageous. An unruly small kid hit me at a parish picnic, back
when my kids were small and I was holding a toy the kid thought was his
(but actually belonged to us). The mother didn't apologize. The
grandfather picked him up and the kid proceeded to pummel his
grandfather's bald pate. They made no attempt to control this violence.
Easy to see why the kid felt free to punch a strange adult.

More recently, I have a new neighbor with an unruly toddler that hauled
off and hit my dog while my dog was playing with their new puppy (my dog
is still a puppy herself). Fortunately Rommi flinched away in time to
miss the full force of the blow, so she wasn't badly hurt, but at four
pounds, she's a tiny dog and even a small child can seriously injure
her. The mother did apologize, but she did absolutely nothing to
control her child. The kid ran around completely ignoring her. The
puppy is half husky and clearly of a naturally dominant disposition, and
she wasn't doing anything about that either. Gonna be interesting to
see how *that* plays out.

--

blackrosequilts
My train of thought left the station without me.

2005 BOMs: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blackrosequilts/my_photos

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

Old June 16th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

....and it also helps to have a sense of humor sometimes.
Thanks for the giggle.
Taria, I'll bonk back : )

Old June 16th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:59:19 -0400, "Valerie in FL"
wrote:

Children who roam, crawl and yell *are* unruly. It's not unreasonable to
expect children to be taught consideration for others at an early age, and
that includes understanding where that sort of behavior is and is not
acceptable.

I know I had it easier as a parent by having just one child, but even so, I
had been known for taking a cart with several items in it to a clerk and
telling her I'm sorry, but I have to go, and dragging my 'unruly' 2-year-old
child out of there. She soon learned how to behave, because she loved to go
shopping with me, and hated it when I cut the trip short because she didn't
behave. I only had to do it twice. She is now 25 and extremely polite and
well-mannered, and complains about other people's unruly children. Just like
her mom.

If one wants to let 'children be children', one should do it in their own
house, or backyard, or a playground, where that sort of behavior is
acceptable. If you haven't bothered to teach your children how to behave in
restaurants and stores, then don't take them until you have.

I got bonked on the head with a spoon wielded by a 3-year-old in a
restaurant last week. I didn't even get an apology from her parents, so this
is absolutely a sore subject with me.

Hmm. I was putting apples into a bag while shopping in Portsmouth,
so this must have been 1997, when I was down there for about 6 months.
A small boy - about 2 - was kicking me and kicking me from his
trolley. I looked over to his mum, who looked at me and said nothing.
So I said, "Could you stop kicking me please?" There's nothing quite
like a stranger speaking to a child to make them go all quiet!
Yes, I agree it's the parents who pretend nothing is happening, and
do not address the situation who are the most annoying.

-- Jo in Scotland

big foot + little foot Wren Quilting 11 March 5th 06 06:06 PM
Big foot Debra Quilting 6 July 30th 05 01:32 AM
Boot Shoe Pattern Cutting & Clicking 1906 FA Sally General Crafting 0 September 12th 04 12:23 AM
A walk(ing foot) in the park KittyG Quilting 18 October 21st 03 06:35 PM