LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

Old June 15th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Students - was LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

Cheryl, you described my problem student so well I'd think we had the same
one. She is such a trial and she is just sooooo exhausting. Mercy. But
(!) she has such a faint bit of self esteem. Her family tells her
constantly that she never finishes anything and never does anything well. I
will cheer her on and help her if it kills me. It just might. Polly

Cheryl wrote, in part,
I have a newbie student who does that to me all the time.
Starts one quilt and when it is set up to be continued at
home she then turns up with no warning and announces "I have
this idea for a new quilt". I have learned to dread those
words.
She is so keen I can't bring myself to tell her to go away,
and her work is lovely when finished. But we are now
venturing into techniques of piecing where accurate seams
are critical (triangles, etc). Up to now she has just raced
through a lot and been very much "near enough is good
enough", and I have had to come up with solutions when
things didn't meet up exactly. But last night I warned her
that this was no longer possible and she had to be more
careful. On she sailed!

Old June 15th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
"Cats" wrote:

Oh - how I dread those "students" who love to learn but hate
to be instructed!!!

This is priceless! I swear it should be done in needlepoint and hung on
the wall.

Will you design that for me? :-)

marcella
Old June 15th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You might just be surprised in the mail one day!! ROFL

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

"Marcella Peek" wrote in message
: In article ,
:

Old June 15th 06, 06:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

My Mother would take ALL 8 of us shopping with her...our hands were IN OUR
POCKETS or we sat in the car if we didn't(sometimes dad was there waiting
with us, sometimes we were on our own) until she was done. Period....end of
discussion.

We learned at an EARLY AGE that yelling, running, touching was NOT ALLOWED.
No way No how or we stayed home the next time and the ONLY THING we got was
to partake in the groceries. How mom remembered which one(s) of us stayed
home was beyond me as she went shopping every other weekend. Children were
SEEN and NOT heard. ONE look from Mom or Dad was enuf to stop us right then
and there. Greatest compliment we received was from shopkeepers/clerks that
asked to wait on us---even called one fella, Uncle Milt--(shoe salesman) Had
one store where the owner would give EACH of us a candy bar just before we
left---you better believe we were beyond angels in his store and he sold
everything from tractors to groceries.

When we got older, we stayed home to do 'chores' (usually staying with the
baby, too) and dad worked in the fields and would come in at lunchtime and
'help' us make lunch--we did it--he made sure we didn't get hurt. (He taught
me how to peel potatoes with a paring knife and to this day I can't use a
peeler on them : )

Children WILL learn if they are taught proper manners starting at an early
age.

Butterfly (who is NOT afraid to tell the parents that their child(ren) are
well mannered in front of that child(ren)

"Cats" wrote in message
My mother was not a quilter, but was a sewer. I can
remember being taken into innumerable fabric stores, and
knowing from a very early age that I was to wait quietly for
my mother to complete her shopping - no touching, no
running, no yelling. My younger sister and I always
accompanied her when she shopped. I don't think it hurt
either of us to learn the appropriate standard of behaviour
for public places at a very early age. And the shop keepers
were NEVER expected to provide entertainment or supervision
for us.

We loved going around with her, and while good behaviour was
expected we usually got an icecream or similar for being
good.

I sometimes have sewers come here with grandchildren in tow.
Once in a while this is unavoidable (family drama, etc) but
I politely discourage this as a regular thing because this
is not an area set up for children and I cannot be
responsible for their safety around sharp and pointy things.
The OH&S/liability issues for adults are bad enough.
Everything in life should not be geared around the possible
effects of an uncontrolled toddler/child.

Sorry if this makes me a grouch but I don't feel that shops
should have to provide a child entertainment area in order
to stay in business, and I don't enjoy having to fight the
HUGE strollers in use today in narrow aisles when I am
shopping. I have enough mobility issues of my own.

Off my soap box and off to have a morning cuppa with Oscar
the Grouch LOL

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _
Enness Boofhead Donut
Now in hibernation with a wake-up call for Spring!
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
nk.net...
: joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska wrote:
:
: *Bringing unruly children into the store and letting
them roam, crawl,
: yell, etc.
:
: If I may interject... is it so bad to bring
: unruly children into a store? I mean, does
: the fact that children roam, crawl, and yell
: make them unruly? I do not mean to be
: facetious (or maybe I am just being defensive),
: but we often go to our LQS as a whole family.
: DH sits on the floor and tries to keep the two
: kids under control. But, kids crawl and roam.
: Sometimes they yell. We do not permit them to
: touch the fabric, walls, displays, anything.
:
: If we could not bring children in, then I'm
: relegated to only ordering fabric online. Or
: DH has to stay outside with the kids, and that's
: not always the best place to be.
:
: Obviously, there ought to be some standard for
: basic politeness, such as regarding cell phones,
: making outrageous return demands, etc. However,
: isn't there any room so that children, while
: being children, would still be allowed to go
: into a little store without raising eyebrows?
:
: -- Anita --

Old June 15th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Now cell/mobile phones LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

I can hear it too and it's definitely annoying!!!
Guess I don't fall into the "older" or "adult" category yet (wonder
when; I'm going on 42!!!)

CLaudia

Sandy Ellison wrote:
Howdy!

My Avon lady (good friend) told me about this, Monday,
a ring tone that we "older" folks aren't supposed to be able to hear.
http://tinyurl.com/juf9l

I can hear it. Some dept. stores still have electronic equipment
running that I can hear buzzing/whining above my head. Ooooerrrrgh!

Meanwhile, I appreciate having my mobile phone available,
for *my* use. Not in a check-out line, not in a meeting, not at
the table in a restaurant, not while I'm driving.
I mean, if I drove and phoned, how could I, with a clear conscience,
yell at other drivers? : "Hang up and drive! It's an automobile,
not a phone booth on wheels!" G

It was a joy to have that phone with me in Paducah last year;
called dear husband back at work in Dallas, exclaiming over the
charm & beauty of that old downtown area. He shared my excitement
and looks forward to going to Paducah with me later this year.

Ragmop/Sandy --my Avon lady & I are thinking of inventing a "detector"
that will sniff out those whining cell phone tones g

On 6/14/06 2:22 PM, in article
, "desert quilter"
wrote:

Seems about half the complaints center around cell phones. And then
people wonder why various school districts have banned cell phones in
schools. Adults can't even control themselves with the pesky things.
How well do you think a teenager is going to do?

Michelle in NV

Old June 15th 06, 07:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'm 46 in 3 months ( no can't be me, must be me Dsis at 43 so can't be
her) and I couldn't hear it. Turned the keyboard sound right up and got
a crackle, turned the monitor sound right up and got a couple of more
crackles and DD (16) and DS (12) complaining about the noise

Dee in Oz

Old June 15th 06, 08:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

ah yes well.. I don't have a car either LOL

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

I have one (for emergencies in the car), but it is never on - and I
don't know its number g
..
--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old June 15th 06, 10:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Jessamy wrote:

I can hear that - but then I'm "only" 36 and can hear the buzzing sound
almost spent light bulbs give

I'm 49 and I've always heard that... And the buzz behind the noise on a
TV and many other electrical appliances. I am also very sensitive to
flicker on TY screens and monitors.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old June 15th 06, 11:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Cheryl, you're amazing!
Like my friend who was a primary school teacher (reception class) who
had several spare pairs of knickers in her cupboard!)
..
In message , Cats
writes
snipped

I now keep magnifying glasses in four strengths for those
who forget their glasses, 'cos I am sick of watching the
awful results when they persist and can't see properly.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

big foot + little foot Wren Quilting 11 March 5th 06 07:06 PM
Big foot Debra Quilting 6 July 30th 05 01:32 AM
Boot Shoe Pattern Cutting & Clicking 1906 FA Sally General Crafting 0 September 12th 04 12:23 AM
A walk(ing foot) in the park KittyG Quilting 18 October 21st 03 06:35 PM