Fusing Glass Discussions

Old June 10th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default Fusing Glass Discussions

Funny you should mention that, flux and pour.
Ever hear of Belcher windows? Ever see one?
check these out, the lead was poured in, glass trapped in a mold of some
kind, I admittedly don't know how it was done, but I have seen a few of
them, interesting stuff.
http://www.antiqueamericanstainedgla...20template.htm
navigate on the left to Mosaics-Belcher and look at them.

I've seen and fixed lots of lamps poured this way... I wonder if anyone

is
still doing this stuff?

Hmm, I have never seen a lamp made this way, I don't know if you realize it,
but there is no glass on either side of those windows. it is just the
little pieces held in place by the lead. Word has it there was mercury in
the lead alloy that allowed it to flow that way. but I have no idea how
true that is. This glass is not attached to anything to keep it upright.

Old June 11th 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Javahut" wrote in message

[...]

Yes I've seen about a dozen lamps like this over the years. The "lead" is
very pourous looking and brittle if you break it down. Somekind of alloy.
It overlaps the glass by a tiny margin to hold it in place. No idea how it's
done.

--

JK Sinrod
www.sinrodstudios.com

Old June 11th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

i don't get that y'all can't figure it out? it is a mosaic on clear glass
w/ black grout??? OR.. glued glass on glass with liquid lead lines (not m
opinion) neither is particularly difficult, any newbie can do this????? m

Old June 11th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"michele" wrote in message
i don't get that y'all can't figure it out? it is a mosaic on clear glass
w/ black grout??? OR.. glued glass on glass with liquid lead lines (not m
opinion) neither is particularly difficult, any newbie can do this????? m

Oh gosh, Michele, were it only that simple... a newbie I ain't!

Did you go look at the link to the Belcher windows? Done in the late 19th
century. There is no clear glass on either side of them, I have had some in
my studio, and the guy at that website is a customer of mine... the metal
was somehow poured between two halves of a form that held the glass in
place. NO grout, no foil, (that I have seen) and they are pretty darn
solid. there was a write up in SGAA Stained Glass a while ago by Barb
Krueger.
They are interesting.

I have seen the new mosaic stuff, this ain't it.

Old June 11th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Javahut" wrote in message
the metal
was somehow poured between two halves of a form that held the glass in
place. NO grout, no foil, (that I have seen) and they are pretty darn
solid.

And thus was a waffle iron born.

Craft of Stained Glass Work Vintage manual 1928 FA JaneyP Glass 0 March 4th 06 10:22 PM
Advice on kiln for small projects involving glass fusing and enamelling. Robyn Glass 13 January 5th 06 01:40 PM
SGG [email protected] Glass 2 December 7th 05 12:58 AM
Glass fusing classes in Fort Worth TX area Sue Seibert Glass 2 May 18th 04 01:51 PM