Weird Tools we use

Old March 13th 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Weird Tools we use

Thanks Patti,

Didn't even think of that. But now that you mention it, I should of thought
of that. Me thinks I'm going to do move it a bit farther right now...LOL

--
Christina Doucette
Petawawa, ON, Canada

"Patti" wrote in message
news
Sounds good, Christina; but a word of caution: don't keep it near a
computerised sewing machine. The magnetism which is so useful to us, is
not good for the machine.
.
In message , Christina Doucette
writes
The best needle magnet/tray I ever used was bought for me by a friend this
past Christmas. It was a mechanic's nut/bolt bowl tray with a really
really
strong magnet in it. I have dropped that whole bowl of magnets and I tell
you that not ONE needle dared to fall out. The magnet is so strong, the
needles stand on end in it and I have to give them a little tug to get
them
to release from the tray.....LOL

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old March 13th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I picked up one of those magnets-on-a-handle, *really* strong, from Home
Depot for tracking down the odd bit of dropped needle/pin/what have you; the
guys swipe it for missing computer screws as well.

Works wonderfully, and also when used like a broom pulls baby toys from
under the futon nicely too. g

--pig

On 3/13/06 02:50, in article EnaRf.857283$xm3.346939@attbi_s21, "René"
wrote:

When doing any type of hand sewing, I drape a medium sized hand towel over
my lap, This catches odd bits of thread and snippets of fabric, and most
importantly, needles. I have 2 adorable little granddaughters who come over
every day, and I have to do all I can to avoid having needles and pins on
the upholstered furniture, and carpet.

-- Megan Zurawicz
South Holland, Illinois

Old March 13th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

not sure this is what you meant but...

today i went thru the quilting stuff and took out my pvc quilting frames
(something like this http://www.storesonline.com/site/1295880/product/Qsnsf)
to use on the garbage bags to hold them open for shoving in branches and
weeds ... worked pretty well! only had one kid per bag instead of two

-- Kellie
kjbeanne at yahoo dot com
www.kjbeanne.com/kellie.htm
Marketing Co-ordinator Illuminations Arts
www.illuminationsarts.com

"Dee in Oz" wrote in message
oups.com...
Okay add yours here
"Cats" has added hers to another thread but so they don't become lost I
have started a new one

Dee in Oz

Old March 13th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

We always used the toy rake for this.

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

snippage

Old March 13th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

A small squirrel-hair paintbrush is good for de-linting the machine.
A surgical nurse once gave me a needle-puller (has a technical name I can't
remember just this moment) that's excellent for all sorts of tasks,
including retrieving screws from the innards of various equipment, turning
cloth doll fingers, boning salmon...
I use a lovely wooden stationery rack to hold my rulers.
Roberta in D

Old March 13th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'm picking up such good tips in this thread! I don't have a lot of
original additions to make, but I do use several non-quilty items to
help me quilt.

1. a telescoping magnet to pick up pins spilled on the floor. Ally and I
bought one each in Houston several years ago and discovered that they're
also perfect for dueling! LOL! DGSs like it, too, for wandering around
the house to find out what's magnetic.

2. a small metal box with 20 plastic drawers in it. Originally intended
to store nails and screws and other hardware, I use it for packages of
SM needles, buttons, empty bobbins, etc. It hangs on the pegboard out of
the way.

3. a metal tape measure -- so easy to measure quilts, borders, etc.,
with this!

4. a laser level square, as per Kathy A's recommendation -- it's perfect
for squaring up anything larger than my largest square ruler!

5. a screwdriver (multiple bits) and pliers for general "fixing". Gotta
keep these separate from DH's things, since he's not the best at putting
sfuff away. He's already appropriated my hammer.

6. empty pill bottles for used needles and bent pins. I put the lid on
in "child-proof" mode when I want to dispose of the bottle.

7. clamps to hold a tablecloth on a picnic table. My dining room table
is too thick for even the largest bulldog clamps I could find, so these
keep my layers in place when I'm pin basting.

8. drafting table with hole cut in it. G This is my sewing table! I
don't really have room for the big table I'd like to have, but I'm
eternally grateful to my friend Carl for sinking my SM into the table so
that everything is flush.

As I said, many of my tools aren't original, but they sure work for me!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old March 13th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

What do you do if the toy rake is also under
the futon? PAT, procrastinating in Virginia

Old March 13th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Have the grandkids crawl underneath to retrieve it!

--
Bonnie
NJ
news7iRf.13633$Tf3.13103@dukeread09...

Old March 14th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Take a clothespin apart and it's a seam presser ... 2 in fact! Lots cheaper
than the little wooden thing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old March 14th 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the thread, there are some
good ones around.

I have a 6" metal ruler that I grabbed off the the sewing table and
use as a seam presser "cos I was too lazy to get up to the iron that
was 2 steps away ...

A number of years ago DS covered and old tin (beans or sonething like
that) in foil he saved from easter egg wrapping. I *had* to use this to
hold my pencils and stationary rulers etc

Dee in Oz

off to try out some new ideas

Lobo wrote:
Take a clothespin apart and it's a seam presser ... 2 in fact! Lots cheaper
than the little wooden thing.
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.

Halloween -- planning for next year -- tools and tool storage LurfysMa Carving 0 October 31st 05 04:58 PM
Pumpkin carving tools Top Spin Carving 6 November 2nd 04 11:46 AM
Pumpkin carving tools Top Spin General Crafting 4 November 2nd 04 11:46 AM
Laying Tools Rhea Needlework 0 January 11th 04 01:14 AM
Glazing tools contest Robert B II Pottery 3 July 24th 03 01:32 PM