big foot + little foot

Old March 2nd 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default big foot + little foot

Hi,

Does anyone use these generic presser feet: The Big Foot for
freemotion quilting or The Little Foot for quarter inch seams?

I've done some research and read in the archives but the posts I read
were a bit old. How do they hold up in time? Any cracking? I read
one reviewer who said her Little Foot melted because her machine is
near a window and she lived in Georgia. How about the performance on
the Big Foot? Does it really make a difference? I spoke to an owner
of a quilt shop and one of her employees who said it wasn't worth it
and didn't see any improvement in freemotion quilting. They sell the
same kind of machine I have and probably used it on a Janome. Any
feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

Renee

Old March 2nd 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article .com,
"Wren" wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone use these generic presser feet: The Big Foot for
freemotion quilting or The Little Foot for quarter inch seams?

I've done some research and read in the archives but the posts I read
were a bit old. How do they hold up in time? Any cracking? I read
one reviewer who said her Little Foot melted because her machine is
near a window and she lived in Georgia. How about the performance on
the Big Foot? Does it really make a difference? I spoke to an owner
of a quilt shop and one of her employees who said it wasn't worth it
and didn't see any improvement in freemotion quilting. They sell the
same kind of machine I have and probably used it on a Janome. Any
feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

Renee

I bought a little foot and recently gave it to the quilt guild treasure
table.

Light plastic meaning it just floats over everything rather than holding
fabric against the feed dogs. I did like the 1/4 inch markings for
pivoting etc. But, I just found it quite difficult to keep things
accurate.

Janome makes a lovely 1/4 inch foot and I would recommend getting that
if that is the kind of machine you have.

marcella
Old March 2nd 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I killed 3 Big Foots before I realized that they really were no better than
the regular darning / free motion (by whatever name) the regular sewing
machine makers carry. I think Bernina calls them a darning foot. One of
mine looks like a horse shoe, the other a small circle, both are metal. In
addition to cracking and falling apart, the Big Foot quickly got scratched
up and reflections made it difficult to see through. This sounds like I'm
really a Rough Rider at stitching but the truth is I am just very gentle
with my SMs. Polly

Old March 3rd 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I've never had a little foot but most machine mfgs. have 1/4" feet
for their machines. There are even some pretty good metal generics
around. I don't think I ever needed a 1/4" foot to be clear so
I would rather go with the metal.
Taria

Old March 3rd 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I think there are some blocks where you need to stop a 1/4 inch from
the end, and the clear 1/4 foot has a red mark to tell you when to
stop. I have never used it for that though. I do think it would be
handy on the corner of binding, where you stop and then turn, however
once you do a couple dozen you can do them in your sleep. If someone
were a perfectionist (I am NOT) then it might be handy for that as
well.

Christina

Old March 3rd 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Christina, Yes the marks are handy, but my lovely Pfilomina Pfaff
has a metal foot with the same markings. Generally I can wing it,
but those are nice to have. I prefer the metal Pfaff Pfoot to
Little Foot. I use LF for Isaac FW Singer. The LF is thick and
shiny ... reflected light often distorts the image. YMMV.
Pat in VA/USA

Old March 3rd 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I have the metal 1/4" patchwork guide foot that came with my Janome but
I have several problems with it: 1) I can't get a scant 1/4"...only a
full 1/4" 2) some fabrics get caught in the seam guide on the side of
the foot...especially when piecing small triangles 3) when chain
piecing, it's tough to feed fabric under the foot. I reduced the
pressure on the foot which helped somewhat. I'm still getting used to
my new machine though...piecing with this one is a little trickier than
the Husqvarna I had because the feed dogs are much stronger (and have
more defined teeth) as well as the wider opening for the needle---so I
feel I really need to get the straight stitch throat plate for this
machine.

The 1/4" guide foot will be great for piecing long strips of fabric but
I need something different for mini to small patchwork blocks.

Thanks for the feedback on the Big Foot...I'd been considering that for
a while now--but not anymore. As far as the Little Foot, I put a bid
in on one through ebay but I've gotten outbid before, so maybe the same
thing will happen again. I did that before I posted this question--so
now I'm kicking myself. I'll look into the Janome straight stitch
plate + metal 1/4" foot combo--that one doesn't have the guide piece on
the side.

Thanks all--I really appreciate your input!

Old March 3rd 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On my Janome, I found that the quarter inch foot could be a tiny bit
wide, even if I kept the fabric resolutely inside the guide. Then I
tried moving the needle instead. That I found was an enormous help.
It's also good because you have all the feet in operation. You have to
find the position you want by measuring, but just make a note of where
it should be and you can just go there each time. When doing something
like half-square triangles, that you have to sew a quarter inch without
having an edge, moving the needle makes it much easier. The position is
different with the walking foot, so you have to measure that too.
..
In message .com, Wren
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 3rd 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On all the Janomes I've worked with you can move the needle sideways to
get the perfect scant 1/4 in. by hitting the zig-zag width adjustment
control- yes, it works even when straight stitching. You might give
that a try before you give up on your 1/4 in. foot. I love my Janome
1/4 in. foot! ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old March 3rd 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

The Janome 6500 Yahoo group suggest using Foot F, and setting the
zig-zag adjustment to move the needle over to Number 6, tho I find 6.5
better. If you use this wider foot then the foot covers all the
feed-dogs - with the 1/4" foot some of them are left exposed.

The Yahoo group is really useful with lots of hints
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Janome6500/

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Big foot Debra Quilting 6 July 30th 05 01:32 AM
1/4 foot like the Janome rlgg Quilting 4 May 3rd 04 10:21 AM
Broken Foot Christina in Ok Quilting 12 October 29th 03 04:09 PM
A walk(ing foot) in the park KittyG Quilting 18 October 21st 03 06:35 PM