grrrrrrr. Price gouging OT

Old February 13th 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default grrrrrrr. Price gouging OT

A couple of years ago I was looking for a special ruler and found it online
...ordered it...and they sent it
UPS !....$10.00 shipping charge !!!!!!...Now I ck that first before ordering
anything.

Old February 13th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

And furthermore - I bought the fun floral set of fqs from Hancocks from
their catalog. When they sent me the fqs, they also sent another identical
copy of their catalog.(Not at media rate but at my expense). I ordered the
colors that their fq set failed to include. They shipped them and a 3rd
copy of the same catalog. I would mention to them that I really never
needed 3 copies of the same catalog and didn't want to keep paying for the
postage on additional copies but don't want to press my luck. At least,
thus far, they've shipped what I ordered. Polly

Old February 13th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I agree the S&H charges are really getting nuts. I always check to see
how much they are, and heavily patronize those that charge actual
shipping costs and on occasion, offer free shipping. I remember reading
here once that someone cancelled an entire online order because of
shipping charges, and I have done the same thing. There are other
options.

Lisa - what's the name? color? brand of the fq you fell in love with??

Patti in Seattle

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater,
suggest that he wear a tail."
…Fran Lebowitz…

Old February 13th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 20:47:19 GMT, "lisa skeen"
wrote:

Surfing around ebay this afternoon I found a FQ I liked, but the woman wants
$2 to stick it in an envelope and mail it. I emailed her and said she could
put it in an envelope and mail it for 39 cents, could she be more reasonable
on the shipping price. She said her prices were lower than anyone elses,
and she wasn't going to lower the shipping price.

It seems to me in the last six months or so, there have been more and more
people on ebay price gouging in the shipping department. Week before last I
calculated the shipping on a 5-ounce book via media mail, $1.52. The guy
wanted over $5 for shipping!

I can understand adding a bit in the shipping department if you have to do a
lot of packing, like I have to do for my pottery, but shoving a FQ into an
envelope, or a book even, that's a no-cost proposition other than the
postage. It's getting to the point where people want more for shipping than
you pay for the item. sigh I hate price gougers.

So why did you bid if you thought the shipping was too high? Don't
bid unless the price of the bid plus the price of the shipping is
worth it to you. If a seller doesn't list a shipping amount send
e-mail asking what it would cost to ship before bidding. So far
everyone I've asked about shipping cost has returned my e-mail
promptly with a shipping amount and I base my decision with that in
mind. Sure 39 cents covers the stamp for a fat quarter and a standard
envelope is only a penny or so. Did you take into account the gas and
maintenance on the vehicle to get the package to the post office.
Those things are a factor in shipping. Also, a lot of the larger
sellers are hiring warehousing businesses to receive and ship out the
product so the sellers have to charge you whatever the warehouse
business charges them to ship out items in order to break even on the
sale. Most sellers are businesses, not hobbyists, and they expect
you to add the bid amount and shipping amount together to determine
your total cost for the item you want.

I've a friend who just bought a rare book for 35 dollars with a
shipping charge of $35.50. It's still a good deal as his total cost,
$70.50, was less than what he would pay anywhere else that he found
it.

There are new whole computers with guarantees selling on ebay for
under a dollar with $300.00 shipping. You know it doesn't cost that
much to ship them. Still, it's a great deal since you can't buy a
comparable computer in a store for only $301.00.

Unless you add the two costs together before bidding you won't be
happy with your ebay purchases.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old February 13th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 21:25:33 GMT, "Queen of Squishies" RisingStars @
KarenTucker.com wrote:

But now you don't even have to go to the post office. You can request
next-day pick-up through the post office web site, and there is no charge.
I use it all the time, I hate going to the post office.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

You can't do that in my town. You have to make the trip to the PO.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Old February 13th 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You might notice that I did not say I bid on the item. I said I wrote the
woman to ask if she would come down on the shipping to something more
reasonable. There is no wear and tear on a car when one places an envelope
in the mailbox.

Old February 13th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

USPS offers pick up on their website, available anywhere the PO goes.
Further, if an item is paid for through Paypal, it can also be shipped
through paypal, WITH delivery confirmation for only 16 cents - again, just a
drop in the mailbox. It's these easy-type shipments where they're charging
well over actual shipping cost that irritate me, not instances where someone
would have to have major packing materials and drive to the Post Office.

Old February 13th 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

that's called price gouging - it's not a reasonable thing to do either and I
for one would not accept that.

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

-Irene

OT Price gouging!!! Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 50 August 31st 05 07:09 AM
Stash Sale Ranee Mueller Yarn 10 July 19th 04 03:28 AM
Discounted Magazine Subscriptions Shannon Still Marketplace 0 February 27th 04 01:56 AM
Discounted Magazine Subscriptions Shannon Still Marketplace 0 February 27th 04 01:56 AM