grrrrrrr. Price gouging OT

Old February 12th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default grrrrrrr. Price gouging OT

Surfing around ebay this afternoon I found a FQ I liked, but the woman wants
$2 to stick it in an envelope and mail it. I emailed her and said she could
put it in an envelope and mail it for 39 cents, could she be more reasonable
on the shipping price. She said her prices were lower than anyone elses,
and she wasn't going to lower the shipping price.

It seems to me in the last six months or so, there have been more and more
people on ebay price gouging in the shipping department. Week before last I
calculated the shipping on a 5-ounce book via media mail, $1.52. The guy
wanted over $5 for shipping!

I can understand adding a bit in the shipping department if you have to do a
lot of packing, like I have to do for my pottery, but shoving a FQ into an
envelope, or a book even, that's a no-cost proposition other than the
postage. It's getting to the point where people want more for shipping than
you pay for the item. sigh I hate price gougers.

--
L. P. Skeen, Summerfield NC
Organized people are just too dang lazy to look for things.

Old February 12th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I noticed the same thing. There were quite a few fabrics I was going to bid on last night, but the shipping was outrageous. One wanted around $10 to ship a yard of fabric, when just last week I shipped a yard and a half for less than $3 and that including buying the stupid envelope at the post office.

Cheryl

IM:

http://community.webshots.com/user/cherdor

Add me to your address book... Want a signature like this?

Old February 12th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Don't forget that people have to pay for their shipping supplies as well,
such as envelopes, padded envelopes, trip to the post office to mail & time.
$5 is a lot to ship a book, I agree, but it's not just the cost of postage
that applies when you are mailing something.

--
Pauline
Northern California
ink.net...

Old February 12th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

But now you don't even have to go to the post office. You can request
next-day pick-up through the post office web site, and there is no charge.
I use it all the time, I hate going to the post office.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old February 12th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

the best way to combat that is not bid, email the user as you did.

It happened over at yahoo auctions years ago,
I never bid at the yahoo auctions, but I was shocked to look at some products that where selling cheap, but the shipping more then made up for it..

I have a feeling that we are now seeing people who sold on yahoo, coming over to eBay now.

The buyers HOPE that you bid on the item Before you see the shipping cost.
If this is on an increase, eBay will be gone.

Old February 12th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I would feel better if they would just tack an extra couple bucks on the
product and then charge ACTUAL shipping costs. This wouldn't work with an
auction, but the regular shops could do this. I know I pay more for a
product when I go where they charge No Shipping, but DAMN that makes me
happy!

Cindy And for the record, I think that the charge is for shipping AND
handling. Which would include the envelope and driving to the post office,
I guess.

ink.net...

Old February 13th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Howdy!
Unless it's cheap, discount fabric ala Wallyworld,
you'd pay $2 (or more) per FQ at a quilt shop or quilt show.
If this seller wants to be compensated for her own time and effort,
good for her; she can set the prices wherever she pleases
(those FQs don't cut/tear themselves g).
Money talks; yours can say, "No, thanks!" ;-)

Ragmop/Sandy

ink.net...

Old February 13th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My suggestion is that you buy from online shops that do not gouge on
shipping.

You can get 6 yards in a Flat Rate Priority envelope. So anyone
charging you over $4.50-$4.75 is just making money on the shipping.
Same goes for the flat rate boxes. You can get 15-20 yards in a $8.10
box - so $8.50-$8.75 would be right in line. I realize that gas is
expense, but so are listing fees, photo fees, gallery fees, etc., and
if no one bids on your FQ or fabric that the seller is losing.

I would rather try to be competitive on fabric pricing and pass along
shipping than gouge a buyer. A FQ may not fly in the mail for $0.39,
but it should not cost more than $0.75 and anyone who charges $2.00 is
off their rocker. A stamp, envelope and the lick cannot cost them
$2.00.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I have sold fabric on ebay in the past and it
rubs me the wrong way that ebay sellers are doing this. I have to tell
you the entire ebay market is going down because of these types of
activities.

Just my Two cents...

Old February 13th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

You said it, Sister! Ebay sellers have their prices spelled out. If you
don't like their rules, don't play. That's what the Free Market Economy is
all about - stuff will only sell if someone is willing to buy it.

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
" Ellison" wrote in message
t...
Howdy!
Unless it's cheap, discount fabric ala Wallyworld,
you'd pay $2 (or more) per FQ at a quilt shop or quilt show.
If this seller wants to be compensated for her own time and effort,
good for her; she can set the prices wherever she pleases
(those FQs don't cut/tear themselves g).
Money talks; yours can say, "No, thanks!" ;-)

Ragmop/Sandy

"lisa skeen" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

OT Price gouging!!! Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 50 August 31st 05 07:09 AM
Stash Sale Ranee Mueller Yarn 10 July 19th 04 03:28 AM
Discounted Magazine Subscriptions Shannon Still Marketplace 0 February 27th 04 02:56 AM
Discounted Magazine Subscriptions Shannon Still Marketplace 0 February 27th 04 02:56 AM