What did you do before quilting?

Old February 5th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default What did you do before quilting?

LOL, Susan - I used to, and still do, garden, cook meals and bake treats,
work, bake treats, work, support husband and children in their many and
varied endeavours, and of course read, read, read. I love reading. It is
not unusual for me to have 3 books on the go at one time.

quicker)

"Betsy Ross" wrote in message
nk.net...
I used to maintain my garden, cook
meals, and sew clothes.

Susan
aka Betsy Ross

Old February 5th 06, 06:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

When you coming for lesson # 2? When Spring Flush is on? That would be
perfect. Might have cukes for our 'cumber sammiches.

Butterfly

"Ginger in CA" wrote in message
oups.com...
Needlepoint, cross-stitch, macrame, embroidery. Then I was volunteered
by my sisters to head up an anniversary quilt we planned to make for
our folks' 45th wedding anniversary. that was in '88 and I haven't
stopped since. Still do some crossstitch, and have learned simple
crochet.

Ginger in CA

Old February 5th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Oh dear, never thought of the jobs I had (florist, printer's devil(yes that
WS my title) and worked in the drapery/upholstery dept--met a lot of guys
there that we redoing the insides of their cars--too bad I was married--g)
--or the regular sewing and draperies/curtains, rug hooking, punch
embroidery (didn't care for it) , and plastic canvaswork. Taught needlepoint
and petitpoint.

And now the latest: quilting puzzles that I've been doing since Das
Boot..got 4 framed for Christmas and they are our wall art in the LR : )
Add to that reading, letter writing that I use to do, crossword puzzles in
Dr waiting rooms instead of the 'trash mags' , making my own cards and once
even made beaded Christmas ornaments. Not into the 'latest type' of
scrapboooking--mine was the older version. Photography is ongoing.

and I'm learning EQ4.

And, of course, there is my other lifeblood of :

ROSES and the gardens (flower and veggie) ((since I was big enuf to help
pull weeds))

and just in the last 20 years:
TRAINS

Never really painted, tried ceramics, stumpwork or origami, or woodwork (one
required piece in college--still have it: )

Butterfly (what did I omit, beading?)

u...

Old February 5th 06, 06:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

garden, sew clothes, embroider, counted cross stitch

--
Mary (Idaho to Oregon via Montana)

"Betsy Ross" wrote in message
nk.net...
: I used to maintain my garden, cook
: meals, and sew clothes.
:
: Susan
: aka Betsy Ross
:

Old February 5th 06, 07:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Learned to crochet at age 12, did craft shows for many years, did
commission crocheting; now I crochet hats, scarves, mittens, and ear
warmers for indigent school children and the homeless (have patterns for
these; if anyone wants to help the needy in their area, drop me an
e-mail with your snail address and I'll send them to you).

Gardened and made potpourri (my son has some I made 12 years ago and it
still smells wonderful).

Made my first quilt (biscuit quilt) about 35 years ago and didn't pick
it up again until a few years ago. Now I'm absolutely hooked.

Old February 5th 06, 08:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Made my own clothes from age 10. Worked as geological draftswoman,
married, worked in IT, worked from home sewing drapes for private
clients [total 25 yrs], retired myself, quilting last 15 years. Still
married and DH still my best friend LOL

Fancy, a synposis of my life in four lines LOL. Alot more exciting
than it reads!

-- Bronnie

Old February 5th 06, 08:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I worked full time + & after work, I volunteered many, many hours for a
non-profit, so had little time for much else, but managed to squeeze in
sailing with DH & reading. I was on disability for 1 year & during that
time, I started sewing clothes again & DH decided my old Singer was too
noisy, so bought me a new machine & the shop had a very colorful quilt
hanging for a class they were teaching. I signed up for the class & have
been hooked ever since (about 3 years). When I was well, I retired from the
work force & we sold the boat, so now, I mostly quilt, read & am working on
training our puppy.

Pauline
Northern California

Old February 5th 06, 08:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My main 'craft' was dressmaking, plus knitting and crochet; for about
ten years I also did marquetry; and before that, embroidery.
..
In message et, Betsy
Ross writes
I used to maintain my garden, cook meals, and sew clothes.

Susan
aka Betsy Ross

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 5th 06, 10:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I used to do beading then went on to counted cross stitch then crochet -
back to X- stitch then quilting. that was from my teens on.. before that I
dabbled in anything and everything from patchwork to oil painting. work ..
well lets just say I have had a lot of different jobs - from factory work to
driving fork lift trucks to library work to logistics. now I "just" stay at
home ad look after the kids while doing my thing

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old February 5th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I sewed window treatments, pillows, etc. Played with my kids, and at
one time worked in the outside world, which is much easier than working
inside the four walls of my house.

Tearbear - you have beautiful quilts - WOW, I don't think I have that
much time left in my life to do all of that. What is your website?

Elizabeth