Query about glass cutting

Old January 16th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default Query about glass cutting

Mr.McSpanky wrote:
I am an owner builder and as such have glass needs for my windows.
If I have a large piece of glass is it feasible to cut that glass down
in size and use it for a windows?

What is an owner builder?

As for the rest of your post. As a builder I doubt that you should even
worry about what a glass shop would charge you to cut your own glass.
It would be minimal. Compared to the cost of just having them do
it...have them do it. They'll get it right, or at least should.
Besides, what better way to build a relationship with another
business....what with you being an owner builder.

Andy

Old January 16th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Mr.McSpanky" Mr.McSpanky@houseof-MrHanky wrote in message
I am an owner builder and as such have glass needs for my windows.
If I have a large piece of glass is it feasible to cut that glass down
in size and use it for a windows?
Would this be cheaper than outright purchase of glass precut to the size
required?
I am assuming that pretty much any qualified glazier could do this (if
of course it is doable and worthwhile)?
I have the opportunity to get all the glass I need FOR FREE so this
information would be good to know.

This was the only glass newsgroup I could find.
I tried to call glaziers from the yellow pages but all I got was the
runaround. It seems if you aren't ordering a broken window to be fixed
or something similar then you are wasting their time. Any of these
companies that would have put me through to someone in the know would
have most likely had all of the business when it happens

Well, as an "owner builder" I'm sure you are familiar with the scenario
where the home owner wants you to come hang a door for him (that he got for
free somewhere) and install the lockset and hinges (which he already has),
leaving you with no place to make any profit other than selling your few
hours of labor.

So, this FREE glass? Why is it free? Scrap from some other glazier,
seconds from a manufacturer? My experience is that if something is free,
the donor is getting exactly what it is worth. If it was first quality
goods, they would be selling it. Or, you are stealing it?

So any glazier that would take this on is nutz.....why work with
second-quality/scrap (from an unknown source) with no mark-up in it, assume
the liability for the glass being cut incorrectly or breakage, just to
accomodate some cheapskate who wouldn't do business with them in the first
place? What you are asking for is a nuisance for any business. Next time
you want your oil changed, take the shop your own oil you bought on sale
and a filter. See how far you get.

Old January 16th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

[...]

Yes with a few exceptions, glass can be cut to size. I'm guessing you
already knew that? The issue here is labor, which may be more than the free
glass is worth if it involves, travel, cleaning, workspace, etc. For the
life of me I can't imagine why you couldn't get this info from any of your
local glaziers? I will cut anyones glass with the understanding that I'm not
responsible for something going wrong. Really old window glass doesn't cut
well.

--
"Don't get me wrong... I'm SNARKY"
JK Sinrod

Old January 16th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Moonraker" wrote in message

"Mr.McSpanky" Mr.McSpanky@houseof-MrHanky wrote in message
I am an owner builder and as such have glass needs for my windows.

Well, as an "owner builder" I'm sure you are familiar with the scenario
where the home owner wants you to come hang a door for him (that he got

for
free somewhere) and install the lockset and hinges (which he already has),
leaving you with no place to make any profit other than selling your few
hours of labor.

So, this FREE glass? Why is it free? Scrap from some other glazier,
seconds from a manufacturer? My experience is that if something is free,
the donor is getting exactly what it is worth. If it was first quality
goods, they would be selling it. Or, you are stealing it?

So any glazier that would take this on is nutz.....why work with
second-quality/scrap (from an unknown source)

For the right price I'd cut glass in Seberia......... naked. We alll have
our price.

-

Old January 17th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Glassman" wrote in message

For the right price I'd cut glass in Seberia......... naked. We alll

have
our price.

That's a mind-boggling thought.

'Prolly wouldn't draw much of a crowd, though.

Old January 17th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Mr.McSpanky wrote:

I am an owner builder and as such have glass needs for my windows.
If I have a large piece of glass is it feasible to cut that glass down
in size and use it for a windows?
Would this be cheaper than outright purchase of glass precut to the size
required?
I am assuming that pretty much any qualified glazier could do this (if
of course it is doable and worthwhile)?
I have the opportunity to get all the glass I need FOR FREE so this
information would be good to know.

Sure it can be done but if I were you I would get out of building and be
a glass wholesaler.

OTOH, if by "all the glass I need" you mean just what you need for your
windows then I would say it's not worth the time. My guess is that the
labor is the major cost of glazing a window. DS is pretty cheap when
bought in quantity.
--
Jack

bobo1148atxmissiondotcom

http://www.glassartguild.com/gallery/jack_bowman
Old January 17th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"Moonraker" wrote in message

snip place? What you are asking for is a nuisance for any business.
Next time
you want your oil changed, take the shop your own oil you bought on sale
and a filter. See how far you get.

well, the place i go does this. i provide the oil since they don't stock
synthetics. they then give me a discount for doing so.

Old January 18th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

For the right price I'd cut glass in Seberia......... naked. We alll have
our price.

please post pictures to help me decide on your contract
Old January 18th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default Query about glass cutting/my refusal of a like request

I would never consider getting someone out to cut glass that wasn't
cleaned and setup ready for their work and I certainly don't blame you
for not wanting to do it considering your scenario.
I understand my limitations as far as expertise and time go and will
employ someone to make and install all of the windows. I had assumed
that if I could provide the glass (good quality, large sheets, not
stolen, and free) onsite then I might be able to save some money while
still making it worth the while of the window maker/installer.
Quite frankly, I have found that not many 'professional' types seem to
be interested and I suspect that is mainly due to their abilities
stretching as far as installing mass produced precut aluminum framed
windows and anything else is beyond a lot of their abilities.
That isn't a dig at glaziers in general as I know there are a lot of
capable people out there they just don't seem to exist in SA.
As it stands we are probably going to bring some guys out from the UK
that have worked with us before.