OT Kittens scratching sofa

Old December 13th 05, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Kittens scratching sofa

She in PA wrote:

I have three kittens one is 6 months old and the other two are 4 months old.
All of them like to law at the end of the sofa. I have tried spraying them
didn't work. I tried chasing them with a paper bag with noisy things in it.
I just looked like a fool running around the house. Then when I sat the bag
down they would go and play with it. I am getting a new sofa is there any
suggestions besides getting them de-clawed\? I don't like doing that.

She in PA

1: Spray the new one with Febreeze, if you can stand it. Some of them
don't pong too badly, and cats hate it!

2: Get some double sided Selotape and put stripes up the bits they are
most likely to scratch. Just press it on lightly, so it doesn't damage
the fabric. Cats hate the stickiness on their feet.

3: Every time the cats do this, grab them by the scruff of the neck, pin
them to the floor at an awkward angle, and hiss at them loudly: it's
what their mum would have done! They'll go off and sulk like teenagers
for a while, and after a few dozes tend to stop whatever engendered the
hissy-fit! Severe cases may need a tap on the nose with a finger.

4: All of the above...

Worked for me. Sometimes they need a reminder.
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old December 13th 05, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

She, Both of my cats are rescued and declawed, something I don't
believe in. They still scratch, even without claws and it is sooooo
funny to watch them.

Try some of the options at the site below and good luck!!

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/ou...ve_scratching/

Mary

IN THE COOKIES OF LIFE, FRIENDS ARE THE CHOCOLATE CHIPS.

http://community.webshots.com/user/moondancewa

Old December 13th 05, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

There is something you can get to prevent cats scratching on somewhere.
I'm not sure about upholstery.
Mine mostly use their various scratching posts, but the naughty one will
always have a go - if he thinks we are watching, just for devilment.
One of our vets gave us an interesting idea about the scratching posts.
He suggested drawing vertical parallel lines down the post with a
permanent marker pen (wide top I guess). This is supposed to make the
scratching post look more like a tree trunk - to the cat! Can't hurt I
guess! I haven't done it as mine are good, on the whole. I did also
show them the scratching post and scrape down with their little paws in
my hands when they were little.

Please, please don't have them de-clawed. They don't just remove the
'nail' as it would be with us, they amputate the whole of the first
joint of every 'finger'. It's outlawed over here; as is tail docking
for dogs now.
..
In message , She in PA
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 13th 05, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I took my kitty and hung her claws on the carpeted scratching post, and when
she walked over to the sofa, I yelled NO! and she ran off. Then when she
came out from under the bed, we went back to the scratching post again. The
water bottle works too, but mine was smart enough to know what's coming when
she saw me pick up the bottle. I can say with confidence that the water
bottle squirt in the face and the loud NO also works well when training
husbands that think 'close' is good enough when throwing trash in the can.
Cyndi, Albuquerque, NM

Old December 13th 05, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I ordered up a new sofa just before Lilly cat turned up. I have a
sort of big scratching post I made. We also have the cardboard
scratchers all over the place. Once in while one of the kitties
will scratch something they shouldn't but it is not real often.
I bought a bottle of Boundary and it helps. It is a repellent.
I have used it on several pieces of upholstered furniture and it
seems to help. Make sure you test it on your fabric first.
I bought some of the double sided sticky tape for cats but never
needed to use it.
If water doesn't work in the squirt gun add a touch of vinegar to
it. That helps with pups.
HTH, TAria

Old December 13th 05, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

She in PA wrote:

I have three kittens one is 6 months old and the other two are 4 months old.
All of them like to law at the end of the sofa. I have tried spraying them
didn't work. I tried chasing them with a paper bag with noisy things in it.
I just looked like a fool running around the house. Then when I sat the bag
down they would go and play with it. I am getting a new sofa is there any
suggestions besides getting them de-clawed\? I don't like doing that.

She in PA

Get those kitties used to being caught and having their claws clipped.
Do it now, or you'll have adult cats who won't let you mess with their
feet, which is never good. Also, making the sofa unpleasant to scratch
on will help--some tape sticky-side-out ought to do it. Be sure to
provide a scratching place elsewhere--many cats like the catnip-scented
cardboard thingies. Praise the kittens when they scratch in an
appropriate place. And give them a pet from me.

Monique in TX.
Old December 13th 05, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

She in PA wrote:
I tried a squirt bottle maybe The gun would be better because I could carry
it with me more easily. I will try that. I wish they made a spray of
something stinky for cats to spray on the sofa. I don't want to be able to
smell it.

She in PA

There's something called Feliway that may be what you are looking for.

Look for that.

-georg
Old December 13th 05, 05:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I use this product called stickypaws it really works!!! I got it at our
local pet store but all the chain stores carry it too. My cat can't stand
stickiness ) and it removes easily from the furniture. I have a cat with
27 toes and this was quite a challenge to find something that works.

Hope this helps,
Stephanie

. ..

Old December 13th 05, 05:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Maybe pin (using string) or tape some balloons.

(She*in*PA) wrote
I have three kittens one is 6 months old and the other two are 4 months
old. All of them like to law at the end of the sofa. I have tried
spraying them didn't work. I tried chasing them with a paper bag with
noisy things in it. I just looked like a fool running around the house.
Then when I sat the bag down they would go and play with it. I am
getting a new sofa is there any suggestions besides getting them
de-clawed\? I don't like doing that.
She in PA

~~Ann in central Tx~~