DECEMBER'S BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM)

Old December 8th 05, 07:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default DECEMBER'S BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM)

NOTE: If you want to skip ahead to the December blocks and skip the
background info, December's blocks are at the very end of this post.

Melissa in NJ

=======================
RCTQ BOM Background Info:
=======================
How this BOM works is that I post two block patterns each month near
the beginning of each month. One pieced and one applique. They are all
free on the Internet. It is up to you whether you would like to do the
pieced block or the applique block (or both!). You will work at your
own pace over the course of each month. You keep your blocks. You do
not mail them to me. At the end of the year you will have twelve blocks

to set into a quilt. You keep the quilt. You do not mail it to me. You
will then have your very own 2005-2006 RCTQ BOM Quilt. At that time I
will collect pictures of the finished quilts so we can all see how
different each quilt looks even though we all started with the same
block patterns. When I announce a month's block patterns, I will also
include the previous months' as well so if you decide
to join along the way you will have all the blocks. Pieced blocks will
be 12" in size and applique blocks will be 8" in size. This is driven
by what is available for free on the Internet. Feel free to size
up/down if you so chose.

==============
Monthly Pictures:
==============
To see pictures of each month's completed blocks navigate to the
following URL (Thanks Teri!):
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/RCTQ-BOM
To submit pictures, email Teri at: teri at terbear dot com

At the end of the BOM year I'll create a gallery website for the
completed quilts.

============
BOM Schedule:
============
This BOM runs from February 2005 through March 2006. This is how the
schedule breaks down:
==============================*=================== =========
February 2005-January 2006: Monthly blocks
February 2006: Completing the Top (setting, sashing, borders, etc.)
March 2006: Completing the Quilt (quilting, binding, labeling, etc.) -
Done!

====================
Previous Months' Blocks:
====================

FEBRUARY:
---------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/V_Z/Wat...tionBlock.html

Applique (8" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/D_F/FolkFeathersBlock.html

MARCH:
---------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/A_C/AntiqueTileBlock.html

Applique (8" finished):
http://quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt99/
The instructions are for a 6" block with very little whitespace around
the design, just make your background fabric 8" (finished) rather than
6", or if you want, size up the block on a copier to 133%. NOTE: If you

want to keep the same look to the applique blocks, piece the background

in the same manner as you did for February's block, as I don't think
any of the future applique ones specify that type of background.

APRIL:
---------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/S_U/TwistingStarBlock.html
NOTE: This one uses templates. If you'd prefer not to fiddle with
templates (I didn't!!) do the following instead. Pattern tested by me
to make sure this works:
A (Color 1): 5 1/8" squares. Make 2. Cut diagonally to make triangles.
B (Color 2): 5 3/8" squares. Make 2. Cut diagonally to make triangles.
C (Color 2): 3" squares. Make 2. Cut diagonally to make triangles.
D (Color 3): 7 1/4" x 2" rectangles. Make 8. Cut 45 degrees off ends to

make trapezoids.
E (Color 1): 2 3/8" squares. Make 2. Cut diagonally to make triangles.

Applique (8" finished) - Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view (PDF):
http://home.comcast.net/~quiltngryhn...TQAprilBom.pdf
NOTE: If you want to keep the same look to the applique blocks, piece
the background in the same manner as you did for February's block.

MAY:
---------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/P_R/PrairieQueenBlock.html

Applique (8" finished) - Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view (PDF):
http://home.comcast.net/~quiltngryhn...RCTQMayBom.pdf
NOTE: If you want to keep the same look to the applique blocks, piece
the background in the same manner as you did for February's block.

JUNE:
---------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/J_L/Lad...ake2Block.html

Applique (8" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/S_U/Sta...centBlock.html
NOTE: If you want to keep the same look to the applique blocks, piece
the background in the same manner as you did for February's block.

JULY:
---------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/A_C/Cas...eAirBlock.html

Applique (8" finished) - Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view (PDF):
http://home.comcast.net/~quiltngryhn...CTQJulyBom.pdf
NOTE: If you want to keep the same look to the applique blocks, piece
the background in the same manner as you did for February's block.

AUGUST:
---------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/P_R/Pra...hardBlock.html

Applique (8" finished):
http://quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt171/
The instructions are for a 6" block with very little whitespace around
the design, just make your background fabric 8" (finished) rather than
6", or if you want, size up the block on a copier to 133%. NOTE: If you

want to keep the same look to the applique blocks, piece the background

in the same manner as you did for February's block.

SEPTEMBER:
---------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/V_Z/XMa...SpotBlock.html

Applique (8" finished):
http://quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt89/index5.html
The instructions are for a 6" block with a little whitespace around the

design, just make your background fabric 8" (finished) rather than 6",
or if you want, size up the block on a copier to 133%. Also, the mitten

pattern is part of a larger quilt pattern. We will only be making the
mitten with the heart on it as shown on the link I gave you....which is

a little different than how it was used in the quilt pattern the mitten

came from. If you want teh full pattern for reference or use, here is
the link:
http://quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt89.pdf
NOTE: If you want to keep the same look to the applique blocks, piece
the background in the same manner as you did for February's block.

OCTOBER:
---------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/M_O/Nor...StarBlock.html

Applique (8" finished):
http://quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt102/
The instructions are for a 6" block with a little whitespace around the

design, just make your background fabric 8" (finished) rather than 6",
or if you want, size up the block on a copier to 133%. NOTE: If you
want to keep the same look to the applique blocks, piece the background

in the same manner as you did for February's block.

NOVEMBER:
----------------------------
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/D_F/Fif...ightBlock.html

Applique (8" finished):
http://quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt179/
The instructions are for a 6" block with a little whitespace around the

design, just make your background fabric 8" (finished) rather than 6",
or if you want, size up the block on a copier to 133%. NOTE: If you
want to keep the same look to the applique blocks, piece the background

in the same manner as you did for February's block.

==============================*=================== =========
====================
DECEMBER's Blocks:
====================
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/S_U/SusannahBlock.html

Applique (8" finished):
http://quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt94/
The instructions are for a 6" block with a little whitespace around the

design, just make your background fabric 8" (finished) rather than 6",
or if you want, size up the block on a copier to 133%. NOTE: If you
want to keep the same look to the applique blocks, piece the background

in the same manner as you did for February's block.

Only ONE month left of blocks!!!!!
Melissa in NJ

Old December 8th 05, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks Melissa! You're wonderful to think of us right now. That Susannah
block is just lovely!
Hugs,
Roberta in D

ups.com...

Old December 8th 05, 09:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks, Melissa.

--
Mary

ups.com...

Old December 8th 05, 09:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks very much Melissa
It is very generous of you to organise the little contest at the end.
It will be wonderful looking at them - probably no chance I will have
got mine done. I always knew I would have to wait until the end. Never
mind, I shall enjoy it when I do it, and will enjoy seeing everyone
else's.
..
In message . com,
Melissa in NJ writes
NOTE: If you want to skip ahead to the December blocks and skip the
background info, December's blocks are at the very end of this post.

Melissa in NJ
==============================*================== ==========
====================
DECEMBER's Blocks:
====================
Pieced (12" finished):
http://www.quilterscache.com/S_U/SusannahBlock.html

Applique (8" finished):
http://quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt94/
The instructions are for a 6" block with a little whitespace around the

design, just make your background fabric 8" (finished) rather than 6",
or if you want, size up the block on a copier to 133%. NOTE: If you
want to keep the same look to the applique blocks, piece the background

in the same manner as you did for February's block.

Only ONE month left of blocks!!!!!
Melissa in NJ

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old December 9th 05, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thank you SNIGS for asking!!!!

I am doing well. The viewing and funeral were so nice. So many friends
and family for this dear lady. Tears and laughs. It was very touching.

Melissa in NJ

Old December 9th 05, 05:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

A most challenging block for me. It is a wonderful choice. Thanks, Linda
in Tx

Old December 9th 05, 11:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Linda, do you mean the "Oh, Susannah" pieced block? I took one look at that
set-in seam and immediately figured out how to do it otherwise!
[3-1/2" squares surrounding a square-in-square.]

Nann
block done, photo sent to Teri

Old December 10th 05, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

so some of us dont need to do the maths, Nann,
how about the numbers on the middle sq in sq.
cheers,
jeanne
still in Confusion, NZ
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Nann Hilyard" wrote...

Old December 10th 05, 01:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Jeanne,

http://annerudolph.home.comcast.net/rctqbomdec.pdf

I drafted it in EQ5 and printed the rotary directions to a .pdf file.

Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Crow
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3
http://www.frappr.com/rctq

EQ5 Users Debbi Quilting 5 October 5th 05 04:46 AM
JULY's BLOCKS - 2005-2006 RCTQ Block-of-the-Month (BOM) Melissa in NJ Quilting 26 June 28th 05 07:09 PM
Repost - Taking signups for the 3rd round of the Harry Potter block swap! Johanna Gibson Quilting 0 June 14th 05 12:34 AM
Now taking sign-ups for the third Harry Potter block swap ! Johanna Gibson Quilting 0 June 8th 05 05:46 PM
DIY RCTQ Block of the Month Club M. Wetmore Quilting 25 January 6th 04 02:28 AM