what is the deal with thimbles?

Old November 12th 05, 09:06 PM
NightMist

Default what is the deal with thimbles?

I have great nails, if I were a fashion model or something.
They grow out to fake nail length in no time. I paint them up pretty,
and then when I am doing something where they get in my way I cut them
off.

You can have long nails and use a traditional open at the end leather
tailor's thimble. No problem.

Once I had a college prof from Bolivia tell me I had "mediums hands".
My greatgramma said I had "violinists hands". All I know for sure is
I have long nails and long fingers and gloves seldom fit as a result.

NightMist
Can easily play an octave on a piano, a 10th with a little effort

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 08:57:04 -0800, DrQuilter
wrote:

mmmmhhh. I must have very standard fingers... and i never had acrylic
nails... I can see how long nails would interfere, but how many of us
keep our nails long? probably not too many, uh? In my case, they get in
the way of doing things with my hands. when my nails get longer than
let's say 1/4", they bug me, they feel heavy, like they are putting
strain on the nail bed...

teleflora wrote:
Well, my needs have changed since I started up again with the acrylic nails.
My old thimbles don't fit. Of course, they were used mostly for piecing and
sewing work. I've NEVER had a thimble that worked well for me for quilting.

Cindy

"DrQuilter" wrote in message

I see all these posts about thimbles and searching for the holy grail, eer,
thimble. what is the deal? I have several thimbles I love, most of them
gotten at estate/yard sales for a few bucks, usually in a lot of sewing
stuff. according to the day, the heat, the size of my finger I use one or
another. I don't get it.. what is it you don't like about regular thimbles?
--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old November 12th 05, 09:16 PM
Marlys in Indiana

Still, a quarter inch is considerable length when you consider that it is
sticking out on the front of your finger. I just filed about 3/16th off of
mine
and they are still approx. 3/16th in length and I couldn't begin to use a
regular thimble even with them shortened that little bit. The nail hits
against the inside of the thimble and I just can't stand that. Nearly as
bad as a fingernail scraping a blackboard. EEEEEEEEE!!!
Have to have the open nail sided thimble to use and I can really
"needle" away with no trouble. Love it. Yes, being creative with
spit on the tips of the fingers does wonders, doesn't it. (Hee! Hee!)
Been there, done that, too.
Marlys in Indiana

"teleflora" wrote in message
Mine aren't long - long. Probably not much more than 1/4". But they

don't
bend at all. And the thimble just feels weird with them on.
In my case, acrylic nails are a blessing because if I have them, I don't
pick at my cuticles and have sore fingers. I can also reach into my files
without tearing at hang nails. On the negative side (or positive if you

are
so inclined) DD nor DH asks me to scratch their back when it itches. You
have to be creative when it comes to picking up those tiny needles I use.
Spit on a fingertip works for me.

Cindy

Old November 12th 05, 09:43 PM
Marlys in Indiana

You must have my hands!!! Gasp!!! (No wonder I've been dropping
things lately. I don't have my own hands right now.) The 10th
stretch I can do also with a little effort on the old keyboard.
Love long nails and love to see women with long beautiful nails. Used
to chew mine furiously when I was younger. Decided they'd never
look nice that way. Have gotten many compliments on them since
I started taking care of them. Funny how that works!!! Hee! Hee!
Marlys in Indiana

Old November 12th 05, 10:57 PM
Elizabeth Young

Default OT wandered into gloves, was what is the deal with thimbles?

In a moment of obsession (ok, the only one I am willing to admit to) I
decided to figure out exactly what about women's gloves made them not
fit my hands. After much scissor-fun, I realized that it is the thumb
that is the issue. If I cut the tip of the thumb off (of the GLOVE!)
then the gloves fit just fine. Except of course for the nekkid thumb-tip
sticking out. I think I need to learn to make gloves.

liz young in sunny california, avoiding writing a paper for all she's worth

Old November 13th 05, 01:06 AM
Marlys in Indiana

But, if you live in sunny Calif, why would you need gloves? Is it not
sunny enough???? Just wondering!!! Hee! Hee! Also, get to writing
that paper. Get it done, girl; get it done!!!!
Marlys in (what can be very, very, chilly) Indiana

. net...

Old November 13th 05, 02:21 AM
teleflora

"NightMist" wrote in message
All I know for sure is
I have long nails and long fingers and gloves seldom fit as a result.

NightMist
Can easily play an octave on a piano, a 10th with a little effort

Hmmph. I have square peasant hands with short stubby fingers. The only
gloves that fit me are that kind that look like little tiny kids gloves that
streeeeetch. I saw a pair of red, kid leather gloves yesterday that I
literally slobbered over. They were soo soft and supple. They weren't wide
enough and even if I had managed to force my hands into them, the fingers
would have been inches too long.

Cindy

Old November 13th 05, 06:31 AM
Elizabeth Young

Well, it does sometimes get "cold" here (sometimes frost at this
elevation 1200) and I did the Great Glove Experiment when I lived in
Michigan. It still like using unlined leather gloves for driving in the
"winter".
I have beaten the paper into submission (I had to switch from 2x4s to
4x4s) and have a decent outline and just need to write one more section
and then do endless hours of cleanup. I love school! Yes I do! That is
why I am still grinding away at papers in my 40s.

liz young in cool california

Old November 13th 05, 05:10 PM
Bonnie Patterson

Oh Cindy,

You have hands like me, and when my nails grow they curl over the end.

My Mom called them working hands.

Bonnie, in Middletown. VA

Old November 13th 05, 07:17 PM
Debra

wrote:

"NightMist" wrote in message
All I know for sure is
I have long nails and long fingers and gloves seldom fit as a result.

NightMist
Can easily play an octave on a piano, a 10th with a little effort

Hmmph. I have square peasant hands with short stubby fingers. The only
gloves that fit me are that kind that look like little tiny kids gloves that
streeeeetch. I saw a pair of red, kid leather gloves yesterday that I
literally slobbered over. They were soo soft and supple. They weren't wide
enough and even if I had managed to force my hands into them, the fingers
would have been inches too long.

Cindy

I've got large square peasant hands with long non-tapered fingers. I
have to look for medium sized effeminate looking men's gloves.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at